Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What else do I need?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What else do I need?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
burr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else do I need?

I have my 4*60 arf, my hitec eclipse 7 radio system, O.S. .91fs engine, glues and epoxy. Is there any thing else I need before I start? Thanks, Gene
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
broke_n_bummin

Default RE: What else do I need?

Xacto knife, heat gun / iron, patience, time and enough fingernails to munch on till the glue dries. You'll need .. ummmmmm ... I think it's a 1.5 mm or 2 mm drill bit and thin CA to predrill holes. You'll also need some T pins if the control surfaces haven't already been hinged. If there's not already a tube mounted through the length of the fuse for the antenna, I'd seriously look into installing one. It keeps the antenna away from moving parts in the fuse (control arms and pushrods). Screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, clear or masking tape, some extra covering to seal the aileron, elevator, and rudder hinges.
There will probably be more as the job progresses. That was all I could think of on short notice.
WAIT!!! one more minor little tool ... a tape measure!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: burr

I have my 4*60 arf, my hitec eclipse 7 radio system, O.S. .91fs engine, glues and epoxy. Is there any thing else I need before I start? Thanks, Gene
You should also have some denatured alcohol for cleaning up excess epoxy or ca .

#11 blades for your hobby knife

sandpaper in assorted grits

lightweight filler (hobbico brand or in a pinch lightweight spackle )

Pushrods

hinges

wheels - mains (usually about 3" with a 5/32" hole ) and a tail wheel

wheel collars

servo extensions (I suggest a couple of 6", a couple of 12" and if you are going to use dual aileron servos, a couple of 18" )

A "Y" harness

If you are going to use dual aileron servos you will need another servo also

A motor mount for your engine

extra servo screws

6/32 socket head bolts (to fasten the motor mount to the firewall and the motor to the motor mount )

6/32 blind nuts

#6 washers

6/32 elastic stop nuts (the ones with the nylon insert in the center )

"T" pins

Clothspins - make sure you reverse some of them

Waxpaper to protect the plans. You can also use s plastic drop cloth (about 2 - 4 mils )

A building board - an old door supported on saw horses with some ceiling tile (Home Depot, Lowes, etc. ) on top of it so you can push the pins in.

A ruler. 12" is good, 18" or 24" is better. Plastic will do, but for longevity I would get a metal one.

A hard surface to cut on. The ideal surface is a piece of glass about 12" x 24"+ . If you get glass, get "double strength", or plate glass to minimize breakage.

A dremel tool ALWAYS comes in handy - cutoff discs, sanding wheels and drill bits.

Your covering

Covering iron

I AM CERTAIN there are other things, but that is all I can think of at the moment.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Campy

You should also have some denatured alcohol for cleaning up excess epoxy or ca .

#11 blades for your hobby knife

sandpaper in assorted grits

lightweight filler (hobbico brand or in a pinch lightweight spackle )

Pushrods

hinges

wheels - mains (usually about 3" with a 5/32" hole ) and a tail wheel

wheel collars

servo extensions (I suggest a couple of 6", a couple of 12" and if you are going to use dual aileron servos, a couple of 18" )

A "Y" harness

If you are going to use dual aileron servos you will need another servo also

A motor mount for your engine

extra servo screws

6/32 socket head bolts (to fasten the motor mount to the firewall and the motor to the motor mount )

6/32 blind nuts

#6 washers

6/32 elastic stop nuts (the ones with the nylon insert in the center )

"T" pins

Clothspins - make sure you reverse some of them

Waxpaper to protect the plans. You can also use s plastic drop cloth (about 2 - 4 mils )

A building board - an old door supported on saw horses with some ceiling tile (Home Depot, Lowes, etc. ) on top of it so you can push the pins in.

A ruler. 12" is good, 18" or 24" is better. Plastic will do, but for longevity I would get a metal one.

A hard surface to cut on. The ideal surface is a piece of glass about 12" x 24"+ . If you get glass, get "double strength", or plate glass to minimize breakage.

A dremel tool ALWAYS comes in handy - cutoff discs, sanding wheels and drill bits.

Your covering

Covering iron

I AM CERTAIN there are other things, but that is all I can think of at the moment.
WOW, that's quite a bit of stuff for an ARF!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

The instruction manual will provide recommendations, it'd be good to go through that list.

As was mentioned, alcohol (denatured or rubbing) to clean alcohol. Acetone cleans CA residue, but be careful using it on plastics, it can fog the plastic.

I like to have a square handy for making sure the tail surfaces are properly aligned.

I use Balsarite to seal the engine and tank areas and any other places where fuel/oil could seep into wood. Epoxy, thinned with heat, not solvents, also works well for fuel proofing.

Lots of paper towels for cleaning up.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ778&P=ML]Great Planes Switch/Charge Jack Mounting Set[/link] is a good way to mount the switch and charge plug.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM
broke_n_bummin

... and a pencil
Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
carsondoc

Hey Burr, check this article out. It pretty much goes through what you're about to.

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=109