Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito 82 shaft sleeve?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito 82 shaft sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 82 shaft sleeve?

I did some searching but couldn't find the answer. Maybe someone can help. I have a Saito 82 and bought a MAS 14 x 6 propeller (Tower Hobbies item # LXZ981) to try out. The shaft on the Saito is 7mm and the hole in the propeller is about 8mm. So, is there a sleeve for the shaft? Or, do I have to go to another type of prop? I searched Tower and Horizon with no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Pete
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saito 82 shaft sleeve?

I use an APC 13x8 on my Saito 82 and an APC 13x6 on my 72.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Good question! I've seen adapters for spinner backplates that are too large for the prop shaft, but what do you do when your propeller is bored out too far for your prop shaft?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 PM
mesaflyer

Campy,
The plane is a 46 scale P-51D, and it has a MAS 13x8 that fits fine. I really like the looks of the MAS (white tips and all) and the plane flys great. The 14x6 might be too big, but I was wanting to try it out. Blew me away when the dumb hole was too big[:@].
Big ed,
I thought I might even have a bad prop, one that somebody bored out and then sent back to Tower. Who would check that? So I ordered another one (without asking on here) and it's the same. Guess I'll hang on to them until I buy a bigger engine for some plane in the future.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 PM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

I did some searching but couldn't find the answer. Maybe someone can help. I have a Saito 82 and bought a MAS 14 x 6 propeller (Tower Hobbies item # LXZ981) to try out. The shaft on the Saito is 7mm and the hole in the propeller is about 8mm. So, is there a sleeve for the shaft? Or, do I have to go to another type of prop? I searched Tower and Horizon with no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Pete
G'day Pete,
This morning I took posession of 2 spinners that are going on 2 Saito 82's, the thread size is 7mm, but the shaft, where the prop sits is 8mm, I am going to bore out the spinner sleeves to 8mm so they will fit, they are 6.5mm now, that's 1/4".
So if the prop has an 8mm hole, it will fit the Saito 82.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: alan0899

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

Thanks,
Pete
G'day Pete,
This morning I took posession of 2 spinners that are going on 2 Saito 82's, the thread size is 7mm, but the shaft, where the prop sits is 8mm, I am going to bore out the spinner sleeves to 8mm so they will fit, they are 6.5mm now, that's 1/4".
So if the prop has an 8mm hole, it will fit the Saito 82.
Alan,
You are sort of right. In the picture of the two props you can see that the hole (way too big) in the back of the prop is larger than the front. However, as you can see in the other picture, the shaft on the engine is threaded too deep, or the prop is too thick at the shaft. Either way, the hole in the front is too big for the threaded portion of the shaft. Hope this makes sense. If there was some kind of sleeve that fit nicely on the un-threaded portion of the shaft, I could bore out the hole in the prop to the od of the sleeve. There must be somebody out there that has come across this problem? I am not trying to re-invent the wheel, just thought there was a simple solution.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22894.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	804807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51115.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	804808  
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

The APC 14x6 will work just fine on the Saito 82. I flew a H-9 AT-6 and a sport plane with the 82 and 14-6. The AT-6 was faster than a flying buddies AT-6 with a OS91 S-II. A Bolly 13.5x6 is good too.
The hole in the prop is a different story. I had the same problem and wrote to landing products or whoever it is that makes APC's and they told me to just bush the hole. I asked why was it made so big and they told me they didn't know it was a problem and nobody had complained before. Just what I wanted to hear. I like the props and wish some one else would make a comparable prop with a smaller hole. As for as a bushing goes I have had success using the plastic cover of an electrical crimp-on splice or end piece. I find one that is close to the right size (yellow is close) and ca it into the prop and then use a reamer to open it to the correct size.
Fred
Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 AM
alan0899

G'day Pete,
I really don't know what you are asking, the prop with an 8mm hole fits the shaft, so it will spin true, that is all you need, put the washer & nuts on & go fly, the prop won't move on the shaft, so what's the problem?
Just because there is a few millimeters of thread sticking out of the prop, makes no difference,
it will still spin true.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Steve N

What I have done in a similar situation with a little .15 two stroke was simply to wrap a couple of layers of masking tape around the non threaded part of the shaft. Seems to work fine.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: Steve N

What I have done in a similar situation with a little .15 two stroke was simply to wrap a couple of layers of masking tape around the non threaded part of the shaft. Seems to work fine.
Exactly what I do! If you want less speed and more thrust, I use a 15X4 APC on my 82.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 AM
mesaflyer

alan,
I am not sure how else to explain it. It seems some others have had the same problem. To put it simply, when I slide the prop on the shaft, it is sloppy. The hole in the prop is too big by about 1mm. If you come across a MAS 14x6 and try to install it on your saito 82, I think you will see what I am talking about. Another way to explain it (maybe), I could install the prop on the shaft backwards, because the hole in the prop on the "front" is much smaller, maybe 6 mm, and I could ream too 7 mm.
I currently have a MAS 13x8 prop on the plane it it flies pretty good. Just wanted to try a different size prop.

Steve and Deadeye,
I was going to try the electrical tape on the shaft trick, but I am sure the prop won't be dead center, and was worried it might vibrate too much. Guess I'll experiment with one of them.

fredscz,
That's what I was afraid of. I think the prop should have a smaller hole and need to be reamed as necessary. Make more sense to me!
Thanks for the responses,
Pete
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use the tape method. It works just fine.

Just be sure to end the tape shortly before its beginning, rather than overlapping the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48039.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	804954  
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
BadSplice

I use a small piece of fuel tubing, like what people use on clevises. Stretch it over the prop shaft, slide ut back to the spinner plate, and the prop will squeeze onto it. Works great for those MAS props that have a larger hole in back than in front.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have accumulated quite a lot of spacer bushings from all the spinners I have bought over the years. When I have the problem you have, I go into my bag of unused spinners and fish out the unused bushings and find one to fit. APC includes bushings in their electric series of props as well. The tape idea will work too, except you will have a gooey mess to remove one day.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
CGRetired

The tape method works fine. I had to do that to one of my props for my OS 1.20 a few months ago and it worked out.

CGr.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
mesaflyer

Thanks guys. I am going to try the fuel tubing first, if I have any problems, I'll switch to the tape method. Thats a good pic there MinnFlyer. Someday, I'll have to learn how you guys draw those diagrams and then post them.
Pete
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM
scratchonly

I have used a piece of brass tubing for you situation; I forget the size, take your engine/prop to the hobby shop ,you may have to bore the prop, but it will be an american size. An alternative is aluminum duct tape.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

I/ve cut up an aluminum can before and made a sleeve.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if it has been said before in this thread but the props come with a 1/4" hole. (6.35mm)

The prop you have if it has a 8mm hole has been reamed out by someone. It was probably a return?

I have to look at prop hub holes at the hobby shop for they are sometimes been reamed by someone and returned or exchanged.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I don't know if it has been said before in this thread but the props come with a 1/4" hole. (6.35mm)

The prop you have if it has a 8mm hole has been reamed out by someone. It was probably a return?

I have to look at prop hub holes at the hobby shop for they are sometimes been reamed by someone and returned or exchanged.
w8ye,
Take a look at post #6. You are right that the front of the prop has about a 1/4" hole, just not all the way through the prop to the back side. The hole in the back is much larger, and the hole as it passes through is stepped from smaller to larger, front to back. Both props are identical, so I am prettey sure that that is the way they are manufactured. I bought the props from Tower.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM
w8ye

I let the front part do the locating and I ream the props to fit the crank.

I have a very nice precision metric reamer from Tower that puts them right on size for the Saitos.

I don't worry about the hole size in the rear just so it clears the crank back there.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:26 PM
w8ye

A stepped reamer

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEGH6&P=7

Here it is 1/4" pilot then a 7mm step and a 8mm step with a 10mm shank on the reamer.

Makes the back of the prop is 8mm and the front is 7mm

You ream it from the back side
Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
mesaflyer

Well, went to the LHS and bought every brass tube size they had. Turns out that the 5/16 tube fit perfectly over the threaded portion of the engine shaft and slips nice and snug in the smaller dia. hole in the prop. Painted the prop tips yellow to match the spinner and front of my plane. Plane flies the same with 14 x 6 prop as it did with the 13 x 8. The 14" prop just looks better, IMO. Thanks for everones help.
Pete