Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I have finally flown successfully!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I have finally flown successfully!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 02:34 AM
aircowboy
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have finally flown successfully!

After MANY crashes and much frustration, I have finally figured out how to fly two of my gas powered planes! I have made at least 20 near perfect flights in the past 3 days. I even have been doing loops and rolls (on purpose this time) and sweet slow low passes just off the ground about 10 feet in front of me. I am addicted! I have been flying a Duraplane 40 trainer with a FOX .36 and an Aircore trainer 40 with a OS Max .46. The Duraplane is a nice docile plane that is great for aileron training and basic aerobatics. My Aircore trainer is a bit more sluggish in the air with its 64" wingspan and 6.75 lb weight, but the OS Max .46 really screams! This plane will climb out fast and takeoffs are accomplished with only 20 feet of runway! I love both of these planes because they are VERY strong! In fact, I once crashed the Duraplane straight into the ground at full throttle and only broke the prop, spinner, and bent the needle valve on the motor!! I would recommend either of these planes for beginners with my higher recommendation going to the Duraplane for building ease, easy parts availability (Home Depot), and great flight characteristics. A little more practice and I think I will try a low winged plane like the AT-6 Texan. I have always loved the warbirds and scale planes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68018_21868.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	41308  
Old 04-04-2003, 02:36 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Nice plane. I am hoping to get my first flight (on Buddy Box) tomorrow after my 46FX gets broken in... Should be interesting.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:28 AM
CarolinaCrasher

aircowboy, I am glad to hear that you are getting in some good flying time. Trust me, it you think you are addicted now just wait. Happy Flyin'!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Nice job. You're going to be addicted now!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:59 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, I remember what it was like when I soloed, and getting hooked is exactly right. I learned last summer, I found the most difficult part was the cold months. You know when you are addicted, only flying will help. At one point I just watched video's just to hear an engine again.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:11 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cowboy

congrats on your flight!

by the way nice Diablo Vt in your pic Its my fav car and addiction besides RC
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now go to your LHS and meet the owner.

He's the man that will be taking all of your money from now on.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:32 PM
gr8johnson3

what kind of traineing did you get. any time with an instructor or on a simulator? i am just wondering because i just my new spad plane and dont have another $100.00 m right now to join AMA and a club. i am going to get some more time on my sim and go at it. my spad will handle the crashes pretty well.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Montague

Good luck learning on your own. It's possible and a lot of guys have done it, but it's not going to be easy. I hope you don't get discourged easily.

I'm not an AMA cheerleader, but I do think you should look in to scraping the money together for it if you can. The insurance is worth it if something goes wrong for you. It won't cover everything of course, it's no different than any insurance company (always trying to find a way to avoid paying a claim and so on). But it's better than nothing.

I do wish the AMA or someone else had a less expenseive membership option.

As for your local club, you might want to check around to see if there are other clubs in the area that don't cost as much or will give a discount rate in some way (I've heard of clubs that give discounts for guys who spend time maintaining the field for example. I will admit it's rare though) Or ask around and see if there are any other "outlaws " around who will help you.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Crashem

Aircowboy,

congrats!!! Send me A PM will be flying starting in May
Old 04-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Montague

I'm not going to get in to a UMA / AMA discussion (never mind that other group that came and went), I shouldn't have made the comment I made. . Too many flame wars over such things in the past

I do hope UMA does well, and provides affordable insurance for sport flyers.

Personally, I fly a lot of competitions, and all the local clubs are AMA chartered, and I'm in a fairly built up area, so random open spaces big enough for glow power are rare. So, for me, AMA is manditory. Your situation may be different, if it is, great, do what works for you . I envy the guys who are out in the midwest and fly on their (or a friends) farm, and have nothing to worry about, and nothing to hit but themselves.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Crashem

aircowboy,

Shhh!!! Don't tell anybody but I know where we can fly at a deserted privat airport 3000' runway 100+ acres no AMA needed???
Old 04-19-2003, 09:30 PM
impulse

Can't wait till i get my trainer. Im 14 and dont have a job so its going to take a while lol.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:34 PM
perjar

Actually DiabloKid the car pic that aircowboy has looks more like a Murcilago or however you spell it. Just what I think but I could be wrong.