Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question about a starter plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about a starter plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 AM
stlrc17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a starter plane

hello all i have not gotten a plane yet and am shopping around. Based on the knowledge that you all have gained from starting your hobby i wanted to know what you guys thought of the Hobbico Sky Pilot RTF.

Its in my price range and really the plane i was looking for, but I want some advice.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../hcaa1985.html
Old 12-01-2007, 07:20 AM
bbbair

Default RE: Question about a starter plane

I just had a quick look at the link... personally I wasn't impressed.

But that's just me.

It is a RTF electric, 3 channel park flyer. It is a toy []

If you are planning to teach yourself how to fly with their video...
Any repairs from crashes would be difficult if possible at all, the motors in these RTFs are usually weak and with only 3 channels your control of the plane would be poor at best. The rechargeable AA batteries would give you one to two flights at best.

IF you are serious about getting into this hobby... I would recommend that you find a local club and talk to a few of the guys. There is always an old trainer in someone's basement.

Be sure to get a four channel plane - the ailerons will make learning a lot easier. Buy a good radio capable of four to seven channel operation (it will remain a viable radio for years) and consider a nitro motor system.

IF electric is the way you want to go- fine, get a proper 'E' system and learn how to use it.

Too many new pilots get "Turned Off" from the hobby by "Going Cheap" and getting frustrated with the substandard equipment that they think will do.

Ultimately the choice is yours. But I suggest that you visit the Local Club and educate yourself BEFORE you go shopping.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Kow

You might also have a look at this list of trainer planes RCKen was nice enough to compile:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm[/link]
Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
dragnbye

bbbair is right dont buy something just becuse it's cheap (becuse thats what you get) . i was you i would ask for a gift certificate for a website or your local hobby shop. if you are already to have $120.00 some ask old saint nick for the rest. or if you got some time to wait wait for your tax returns. i would really look at the alhpa 40 rtf , it come with a very nice 4 channel radio a good easy running enigne and all your servo installed.the buil time on it is like one hour tops

good luck

and find a local club thery help to fly so you dont fly your money into the ground