Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Slow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Small Fry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow!

Well, I've had my LT-40 covered for nearly a month now, but have yet to get my radio because I have to save for it!

No problem, right? I'll just go down to the club everyone is telling me to go to and check out what the people are like. Cant find it! I drove down there on the nicest days of the year, no wind, 70 degrees, and after work hours... is anyone down there flying? nope.

Still not a problem, there's a nother club 14 miles away. Check that one out the next week. Nobody flying, there, nobody even there at all!

What the peck!?

With not being able to get the radio and not finding the club, completing my plane is going SOOOO SLOW!

Has ANYONE in North East Ohio flown this year around Boardman?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default Slow!

Be patient, and persistent!

If the club is small then there may be only one or two days/times each week that the field is really active. Most people fly Sunday afternoons at our club. Any other day or time is hit or miss even if the weather is perfect. The good news about this is that it is never crowded enough to have to wait to fly! You just need to find a member that can give you the scoop. This could take several trips to the field on different days/times. Or maybe your LHS can help you out.

Also I wouldn't buy a radio until you find out what most people are using at the field, and determine who will be teaching you. You will want your radio to be compatable so you can buddy-box.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:29 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default Slow!

I've only flown twice this year, on the only nice weekend we've so far this year in Ohio. Tell us in October if you are still frustrated with nobody flying!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Small Fry

Default Slow!

There are about 5 clubs within a half hour of me. One of them, a small one is 3 miles down the road. That's the one that everyone says they go to when they fly, but I saw no signs of a club at all... It's all farm land where I'm from, so long strips of grass dont really mean "runway" it might be drainage from their fields haha.

There is another in Canfield, but I havent even looked at that one yet.

The third one that I checked out was in Leetonia, it's AMA approved, and I went lookin for that one, but to no avail. I will keep tryin though.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow!

Wow, you are really lucky to have that many clubs near you.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Slow!

SmallFry, Do a search on the AMA site (www.modelaircraft.org) for the clubs in your area. They will list phone #s and email addresses of the club contact people.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:08 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default Slow!

Smallfry,
If you want to drive about 1.25 hours, you're welcome to come fly with us in PA!

Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 02:56 PM
nukes

Default Slow!

Small Fry,

Most of the people in clubs, go mostly for the companionship. I can remember onetime, four of us showed up talked for two hours and went home. No flying at all, but we still had a good time. You will find that these "clicks" all go out the same time on the same days. Be patient and you will learn the routine.

Here are some tips on clubs.

Large clubs sometimes have a desinated trainer plane you can use. So even if you are still working on yours you can start training on the club trainer plane. This would be a good question to ask the clubs you check into. And since you have 3 clubs around you, I would visit all of them. You will find that one will probable fit you perfectly.

The club you say never has anyone around. After you solo you will probable want to log as much stick time as possible. You can go out and fly to your hearts content at these (empty) feilds, without the compitition of frequencies usage. Then you can go on the days everyone is there and show off your practiced skills. Personally I Love the empty days to try out new planes that may need tinkering with.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:25 AM
jettstarblue

Default Slow!

Smallfry,

Got approx. 35 flights on my Escapade, but I have been flying it since Feb. (Backyard)
I am going out to the runway tomorrow to see if it's ready to go for U/L's and R/C. (Last I checked, it was still a little soft.)
If you would like, you can fly up here, it's not to far for you, if you come up early, and make it an all day fly. The field is just off Route 45.
I have trained a lot of people to fly, so it should be no problem helping you. I have an Alpha Trainer for that purpose if yours isn't ready.
Anytime after this coming week is good. Let me know.

Jetts
Old 04-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Small Fry

Default Slow!

Jett, thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!

I'll have to see how the work schedule goes. If something opens up, I'll get in contact with you.

Thanks for the replies!