Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Self adhesive stickers

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Self adhesive stickers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
AIRDEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self adhesive stickers

Does the windex trick work on self adhesive stickers? My dad has a t-rex that he wants to put the stickers on but is worried about 1st time placement. Just looking for a trick so he can put it on and then adjust it.

P.S. I realize a t-rex is a heli. But I am a airplane guy and know the info here is great.

Thanks
Del
Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Self adhesive stickers

Airdel,
It really depends on the sticker you are using. Some will stick from Windex and some won't. I know that graphics made from vinyl can be applied with Windex. The best advice I can give is just try one and see what happens.

Ken
Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM
mclina

I have a trick for applying self adhesive stickers, maybe it's not that original...

I peel back the backing along one edge by about 3/4", and I cut about 1/2" of the backing off with scissors. Then I let the backing fall back into place on the sticker. I now have a sticker with a small strip of adhesive exposed. I place the sticker into place, favoring the side that still has backing, until I get it where I want it, then I press down on the part with the exposed adhesive.

Then I fold the sticker over 180 degrees, in the direction that it is stuck. You can then smooth the sticker down with a straight edge, credit card, etc., while pushing the backing off the rest of the sticker.

On a flat surface, this works pretty well and you don't get bubbles. On a curved surface, it still works, but you have to be more careful to push out bubbles as you go.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Missileman

I have read about using soapy water with decals but haven't done it myself.
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good method. I've used that on things up to 3' x 4'.

You can also try some dishwashing detergent and water. Most of the time, the sticker will slide around on top of the detergent layer until you have it just right. Then, squeez-gee the soapy water out from under the sticker.
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes windex works with self adhesive stickers. So does water with a little soap in it. Just make sure to squeegee out the excess.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
opjose

mclina's method works fine for me as well.

I've not had good luck with soapy water or windex with the self adhesive stickers.

Using the method mclina described, you work anything out as you apply the sticker. The results are usually bubble free if done slowly and properly.

If you make a mistake you can pull back a bit.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
hogflyer

No matter what stickers or method to attach them is used, make sure you clean the surface they'll be attached to with Windex or a similar cleaner. You want to make sure all the oil's are removed from the surface before the sticker is applied.

Hogflyer
Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 PM
AIRDEL

Thanks for the great advice I am sure it will help a heap.

Thanks,

Del
Old 02-02-2008, 02:26 AM
jrcaster

You might want to avoid Windex on the canopy of the Trex. Windex attacks a lot of plastics and it might yellow and crack over time.

Get an 8 or 10 ounce spray bottle, and use a small squirt of dishwashing liquid, then fill with water. Spray down both the canopy and the back of the sticker before you apply.

The best "Squeegee" you can use is an auto body filler spreader. You can find them in any auto parts store or even Walmart. I find credit cards too stiff to use affectively.