Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new pilot 1st flight today

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new pilot 1st flight today

Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 PM
sportrider_fz6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pilot 1st flight today

my Father in law bought a Super Cub a few weeks ago after I highly recommended it as a beginner plane. he had no flight experience only flew for 20 minutes on a Sim the day he bought it. even though I'm a relatively new pilot I took on the role of instructor. after briefing him again on the controls I took the plane off and climbed to a high alt and passed the TX. with an occasional verbal direction he flew the plane pretty good, he was a little heavy on the sticks on the first flight and I did make one "grab the TX and save the plane" but aside from that he did good. the first flight ended with me landing the plane for him.
on the second flight he wanted to take off on his own so after a little practice taxiing he got the plane in the air with no problems and flew out the entire battery with out me having to make a save. that flight ended when the flight time had exceeded the battery and I took control and was able to glide the plane in for a landing.
flight three he did by himself from take off to landing the landing was on the cross street instead of the "runway" but the plane came down pretty smooth with no damage.
this is my opinion on the Hobbyzone Super Cub. it is one of the best beginner planes out there!!! I'm self taught on one, now my father in law is with a little instructional help, and my wife has flown the plane with me doing the take offs and landings. I'd say the plane has prov-en itself to me. and for the record the ACT was turned off and his plane is leaving just the way it came.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
sportrider_fz6

Default RE: new pilot 1st flight today

P.S. like almost everyone else on the forum I highly recommend getting an instructor or at least someone like me with some flight experience. I re-read my post and didn't want anyone to think I was implying "get the Super Cub and learn on your own" I may have got lucky doing it that way but if I hadn't been there today that plane wouldn't be ready to fly tomorrow without a trip to the hobby shop for parts.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 AM
opjose

If you want to learn or teach orientation a Hobbyzone SuperCub is MERELY "OK"...

If you want to learn or teach someone how to FLY get a 4 channel trainer instead.

The Cub is repleat with problems that a beginner should not be saddled with...

Including but not limtied to:

- ATC which does more harm than good.
- Overly light airframe, cannot handle winds well.
- Lack of Ailerons, users end up spending more to upgrade
- Relatively high priced replacement parts ( cost out a new foam fuselage, that much for FOAM? )
- TX doesn't lend itself to 4CH.
- Small wheels, no good on grass

There are other beginner electrics on the market which may be better suited.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your teaching and your students accomplishments. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember one major issue here. If you fly it to the point of battery exhaustion, you just may not have enough left to operate the receiver and servos. And, I hope you can picture what will happen if you lose the receiver on a landing attempt. This can be a major problem with electrics and beginners. When it starts to get sluggish, LAND IT!!

CGr.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Just remember one major issue here. If you fly it to the point of battery exhaustion, you just may not have enough left to operate the receiver and servos. And, I hope you can picture what will happen if you lose the receiver on a landing attempt. This can be a major problem with electrics and beginners. When it starts to get sluggish, LAND IT!!

CGr.
Most speed controllers, if setup correctly, have a low voltage cuttout that cuts power to the motor at a preset level but still supplies power to the servos. Some, used in helis, reduce power to the motor, in either case there should be enough reserve to get back to the runway and land. (lowering the throttle all the way usually will re-activate the motor for a short time)
I am not sure about the RTF models like the Super Cub, is the ESC programmable at all? This may be another drawback of this model?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
sportrider_fz6

the Super Cub has the low power cut out. it works just as you descibed. but I am going to invest in a flight timer(or some kinda cooking timer) just to have a reminder for the 10 minute mark.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Witterings

opjose,

Really beginning to wonder what your agenda is, every thread that someone says anything good about the Super Cub you just HAVE to go in a criticise it. In this thread t's not even someone asking for advise whether they should buy it or not it's someone who's had a great experience of it like 10's of thousands of others and you just have to come straight in with a critisism in effect totally be-littling the guys achievment and the thread he started !!! The fact he's done it on the Super Cub and has now taught his father in law on the same plane as well says it all really - it does what it says it does on the box !!
How about telling the guy how well he and his Father in Law have done instead rather than wheeling out the same old tripe again !!!!!!!
sportrider_fz6 - congratulations !!!!!!!! And good of you to take the time and effort and teach your father in law as well !!!!!!!!!