Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Nitro low wing trainer >

Nitro low wing trainer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nitro low wing trainer

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro low wing trainer

I am getting back into flying after a ten year break and already warmed up on a normal high wing trainer. I have been eye balling the low wing trainer from Nitro plane and was wondering if any one had any review on it. I heard some bad things about nitro and got a bad plane from them once. Also my co-pilot had problems but for their prices and the price of the plane is it worth it?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Nitro low wing trainer

My opinion of NitroModels.
Quality is a gamble at best. Many people have been happy with the CMP brand models they sell as far as the airplane itself, I know a few that were unhappy. The instructions that come with them are almost useless. If you buy a model from NitroModels you need to know how to assemble an ARF and possibly make repairs out of the box.
Mixed reviews on customer service leaning toward the poor side.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Not really a beginner but at best rusty! I also heard that the instructions are translated poorly from some where in asia, pictures are poor. May be I will buy it and let every one know how it goes. I was really seeing if any one had any comments about how it flys.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM

http://www.nitroplanes.com/nilosuaetr40.html
It is very similar in design to my Hobbico Brightstar and that is a great flying airplane.
I would expect this plane from NitroModels to have very similar flight characteristics.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM

www.airborne-models.com

Give them a look see if you want another option.

The World Models Mach II Skyraider is a great low wing trainer. Very reasonable priced and a solid flying model with good hardware. Easy to put together as well.

I will always have one of these in my hanger.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM

I also like the Skyraider II. The covering was the biggest problem on mine. Started peeling off from the nose back. Still a good bargain and a nice flying plane.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few skyraiders, high wing, low wing in my area, fly good, I have a cliped wing skyraider and its a bit like a jet on landings, need to be fas and it drops like a rock without engine running, plus I have a MVVS 49 where it should have like a 35 sized or w/e on it cause my wing is light. also, I had a balsa nova .40 sized from morris hobbies, I love it so much, I don't think there made as morris hobbies is selling out, I think, but they can still be found. I have big version and small, have hs-425bb on everything but rudder which is hs-654 and running mvvs 40
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

There are tons of good low-wing "second planes" on the market. The Sig 4 Star, the Great Planes RV-4, the H9 Mustang PTS, The Sig Something Extra (and the list goes on). Our club purchases one of the Nitro planes trainers (the high wing), and I have not been impressed with the quality. The covering is pretty low quality (not very durable), and the glue joints are sloppy. I would probably not buy a Nitro for my own personal use.

Brad
Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 AM

Way back when.. jeez.. back in 1977 or so, I bought a low wing trainer and used it for several flights until I managed to make balsa scrap out of it. Totally my fault.. forgot to put the rubber keeper on the elevator clevis and the clevis came undone in flight. But, my point here is that I was beginning to learn on this plane and it is a good looking thing as well as very suitable for training if you have had some previous stick time.

This is the Goldberg Skylark 56. They also make a 70 size

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1093.html

The 70 is particularly nice because it is larger and larger = better visibility.

Take a look at these.

CGr.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Missileman

It is very similar in design to my Hobbico Brightstar and that is a great flying airplane.
I would expect this plane from NitroModels to have very similar flight characteristics.

This airplane linked in missleman's post above is an apparent copy of the old Goldberg Tiger 11 and sold by NitroPlanes, a reseller outfit in El Monte, Ca. Mostly of China Model Products airplanes. To deal with CMP airplanes and enjoy them you must be prepared to ba able to know what hardware to replace and how to assemble and ARF and its control systems without any instruction.

Having said that the airplane is apparently not CMP but a different manufacturer but it is a superb flyer and an wonderful second type airplane just like the old Tiger 11. Did a maiden on one recently and was most impressed and would heartily endorse it for that purpose.

As on most ARF's especially trainers etc. the covering and design is absolutely cheezy but the airplane is a good choice.

John
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Runt:

If you want a low wing plane that can also be a trainer, take a look at the Sig Astro Hog. It is a kit so you will have to build it but it flies like a trainer but is also very aerobatic for when you advance your experience. It is a quality kit and plane with a good instruction manual. It was the next plane I built after my first plane (trainer), and over the last 25 years I have made three of them. You also have the option of making it a trike or tail dragger.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

This airplane linked in missleman's post above is an apparent copy of the old Goldberg Tiger 11 and sold by NitroPlanes, a reseller outfit in El Monte, Ca. Mostly of China Model Products airplanes. To deal with CMP airplanes and enjoy them you must be prepared to ba able to know what hardware to replace and how to assemble and ARF and its control systems without any instruction.

Having said that the airplane is apparently not CMP but a different manufacturer but it is a superb flyer and an wonderful second type airplane just like the old Tiger 11. Did a maiden on one recently and was most impressed and would heartily endorse it for that purpose.

As on most ARF's especially trainers etc. the covering and design is absolutely cheezy but the airplane is a good choice.

John
The reason, and I might be wrong, that I posted that link is because I made the leap that it was the airplane the OP was reffering to in his origanal post. But all in all it should be a good flyer.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Missleman's first post was spot on.

I have and like many of the Nitroplanes models, but I know how to compensate for areas that need attention.

Someone with little experience dealing with Asian ARF's may have problems as they do not know how to approach all of this.

If they have an experienced aid available, they'll do fine though.

The Airborn-Models planes have almost identical instructions... e.g. fairly poor and basic, but also decent planes for the price.

Anyone with 3-4 ARF's under their belt and has learned many of the tips and tricks will do fine, but a beginner will find themselves on their own and without help.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM

I have noe expierence whith that plane but i just finished the one offered from texasrcpalnes. It's the same plane except it has a symetrical airfoil instead of flatbottom like nitro's. the plane look's good and went together well except for a mistake with the instructions regarding the rudder /nose wheel configuration and some cheap harware (mainly the wheel collars) i am pleased with the purchase. There are a couple of threads here on this model that helped me with assembly and for 65 bucks ( 78 with shipping ) i dont think i made a mistake with the purchase .
Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM

I mean no experience with the nitro plane lol. They are right the instructions are more hurt than help in some areas . i guess that is the norm .
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I like the Sig 4 Star .40

Old 03-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me make this clear: I was being supporitve of misslemans assumption about the Nitro Planes new Goldberg Tiger 11 clone being a good airplane which indeed it is. This because of my recent encouter with one.

I don,t beleve it is CMP simply because the inner box and the instructions are marked 'Wingmaker' Which I beleve is another pacific rim Arf factory. Another reason I suspect it is not CMP is because some money was spent on end user manual development for this airpane. In other words the manual is far better than the typical two page sheet pictograph that has been included in many of the CMP warbird arfs that I have seen and/or assembled for others.

John[8D]
Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

I don,t beleve it is CMP simply because the inner box and the instructions are marked 'Wingmaker' Which I beleve is another pacific rim Arf factory. John[8D]
Interesting!

"The Wingmaker" is another alias for Airborne-models.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Looks like a Tiger 2, Be a good one