Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PROP ?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
srk866

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROP ?

Does anyone use evolution props ? In a 10x6 they are stiffer than master airscrew and have the points similar to APC.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Jburry

Default RE: PROP ?

Don't use 'em myself, but those I've seen have been fine.... Seem pretty similar to the APC's at a glance.

The differences in prop brands for sport flying is negligeable, the average pilot ain't gonna see a difference. A few rpm here, an extra oz of thrust, a bit less noise, whatever. For me, the only relevant difference is that MA's are wonderfully durable, APC makes some 1/2a props the others don't, wood props are great for getting weight off the nose.

Fly what looks good and works good for you at a budget you can afford. So long as it's no more flexible than a MA, ballances OK and is well moulded, the rest is gravy.

Have fun!

J
Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

I've used the 13-6 and the 12-8 and they seem fine.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I use MAS props for belly landed planes, or planes with very little prop-ground clearance. The MAS props hold up very well to prop strikes because they are flexible. For better performance I use APCs on my other planes, they are stiffer and seem to have a more efficient airfoil. Never tried Evo props, but if they are cheaper than APCs and similar, then go for it!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
da Rock

They are excellent. I've used a number of them on 46 to 91 engines. Every one of the engines has done well with at least one Evolution.

They certainly look to be precision don't they.

As for whether or not they're stiffer or less stiff, what really matters is how they perform on the engine in the air. And they certainly do that.

And if we gave awards for how they look on the ground, they'd do well there too.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
srk866

Thanks for the input. I know most likely a prop is a prop but the blade design on these ( 1/8 inch wider and curved lead edge with points) seems better than the MA GF3. And the ones i bought had no mold slag like the others do from the factory
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Evolution 12 X 6 on my Alpha 60/Evolution .61. Its been working great so far and I'm able to prop hang the plane, and it'll get an easy couple hundred feet of vertical after a short take-off run (hanging the plane on the prop, not letting any speed build up). I did have to open the spinner up for the shanks to fit - they appear a bit larger like an APC.

On one flight my nose gear bracket collapsed on a take-off run letting the nose drop at full throttle. The blades went about 1-1/2 inches into the wet ground with no effect. I've since put 3 flights on it with no problems.

If I have any complaint about this prop on the Alpha 60 it the fact I now have to fly it at 1/4 throttle with students on it otherwise it picks up a lot of speed real quick. For a trainer it's almost too fast at full throttle.

Hogflyer
Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 AM
da Rock

Yup, a prop is just a prop. Any of them.

About all that matters is how they perform in the air, and truthfully, there really isn't much you can see on the ground that'll predict that.

Our hobby seems cursed with some major BS about props. And overrun with fanboys who pump out the idea that their favorite brand beats all other brands. Ain't even close to true. And people want specific things like tip shape or stiffness to have predictable and significant meaning, more importance than anything else has. That doesn't happen either.

What is true is that your model, with your engine, using your fuel, at your field, encountering the weather that happened on that day, is going to perform better with some props and less better with others. And almost always, there will be a number of different props that perform almost exactly like each other. In the air, that is. Where it matters.

I've got more than one model that has performed almost exactly the same with 3 or 4 different props. And with that mix of props covering 2 or 3 mfgs. There aren't any magic tricks or shapes or manufactureres. You want to know what specific features ARE important? Diameter is probably THE most important and beats everything else except pitch by a huge amount. And pitch is a close second. What's 3rd most important? The combination of diameter and pitch your model wants. What's 4th? It was priced low enough that you bought it and it was hanging on the rack in the LHS when you thought about buying props.