Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how often do you change your TX batterys?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how often do you change your TX batterys?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
sportrider_fz6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often do you change your TX batterys?

Just curious how often every one changes there batterys out. on my ZX10 tx that came with the T-28, I just put new batts in it but it was still on the second LED( it had one more to go before the red) on my Super Cub the stock batterys didn't last that long I was flying the plane and got a warning beep from the TX so I landed the plane and changed out the batterys. what is still a safe voltage to use a battery? compared to the replacement cost of a plane batterys are cheap but if I'm tossing good batterys for no reason thats wasting money too. I guess the reason I'm asking is because my brother recently "parked" his spitfire from about 700 ft when he lost all control of the plane, as of right now the prime suspect is the batterys in the TX were dead and apparently he either didn't hear a warning beep or the TX for the spitfire doesn't have the same TX as the SC even tho they look identical Parkzone vs hobbyzone. but seeing the end result was a totaled plane (fuselade, wings, cowl,prop,spinner, gearbox and who knows what else will be bad) I think I won't be waiting for a warning beep anymore. I have a multimeter to test them what is the cut off voltage?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:24 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: how often do you change your TX batterys?

8.9v would be a good time to change alkalines.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Missileman

My daughter did the same on her nitro buggy. Got a big laugh from the neighbors when it ended up in their yard.
I have replaced all my alkaline batteries with 2650mah NiMh. I have an 8 battery holder that I can hook up to my accu-cyle to recharge them.
Not a bad deal if you look around. I got 32 Brand New Duracell 2650mah AA batteries from Ebay for $50.
Some of my low end transmitters will let you charge inside the radio with a wallwart the ones that won't I just put fresh batteries in before going out to fly and charge the old ones.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
sportrider_fz6

thanks for the replys. I'm going to go the rechargeable route eventually. I'll say this, thats at least one good reason to get a good TX that will control all my planes!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Witterings

If you think you're going to stay in the hobby for a while yet might be worth looking at getting a decent TX / RX that'll have a rechargeable battery and can be used on any subsequent planes as if you've got the bug I'm sure there'll be more !!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 AM
kid chuckles

You can't use a different TX with the Super Cub. Change batt's about once a month, if flying daily maybe every two weeks. If you use another Radio you will have to change recivers and servos as the sevos in the SC will not plug into a regular reciver. I have not flown my SC in over 8mnths and yesterday i was going to fly it again and the batteries still were enough to check things out. I did not fly it as the plane batteries were down and flying time came before i got them charged. I was really surprised that the TX batteries still had some charge in them after sitting for so long. With the SC you should get a beep and gives you time to land before it quits alltogether. Just keep a set of batt's with you when you go to fly and you should be good.