Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Slow Poke flight limits...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Slow Poke flight limits...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Poke flight limits...

Hi, I just added the smaller Slowpoke (25 size) to my collection. It doesn't have ailerons and I am wondering if it is capable of rolling??
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Slow Poke flight limits...

No, it can't. Slowpokes are for flying straight and level slowly.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Wanna bet????

I do things with my Slow Poke 40 that has most people at the field asking how the heck did you do that??

The Slow Pokes are very capable planes once you give them a chance!!!!

The smaller Slow Poke is a little bit more limited because it doesn't have ailerons, but it's still quite capable of doing a lot of aerobatics.

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Ya never heard of rudder rolls? I was doing those with a small 1-ch "Cessna looking" plane back in the 70's. Cox .020 powered at that. Also did R.O.G. with it. It was actually a lot of fun doing the IMPOSSIBLE.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
rctrax

My slow Poke never was much of a flyer. I had a .30 four stoke on it and it still would barly stay in the air. Any kind of a maneuver and it would fall out of the sky. There is a big difference between the slow poke and the slow poke 40, whole different ball game.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 PM
NorfolkSouthern

The smaller Slow Poke is capable of rolling by use of the rudder. I would suggest adding some up elevator to assist in completing the roll. Also, the elevator is more sensitive than the rudder, so it doesn't need as much travel. Adjust the rudder as far as it will go mechanically, almost touching the elevators if possible. Dual rates are helpful for the elevator. Contrary to what some would believe, the Slow Poke WILL stall during extremely slow flight. And when it does, it drops its nose sharply and abruptly. Recovery is quick and reasonable with some elevator as long as altitude is sufficient. In a light wind, it will almost hover in for a landing. Keep in mind too, that this plane can go into a dive after some maneuvers, which is recoverable with some up elevator and a reduction in power. Just watch for it, and you'll be OK. It does very well in inverted flight, with little down elevator and use of the rudder for turns.

While the Slow Poke 40 Sport has been used by some as a low-wing trainer, the smaller variant is usually recommended for someone who's a little more accomplished. The characteristics of these planes can make some people uncomfortable. For example: The 40 Sport has a tendency to wallow and act like it's about ready to stall and spin dive at slow speeds, when in fact it's not. This is confusing to someone who is used to low-wing planes like the Tiger 2. Although it may throw you off at first, it's not so bad after you get used to it. Another example: The 10 will fly inverted just fine, but will act like a plane with reversed ailerons in turns. Again, just remember that you do not have ailerons and that the right stick is reversed.

These things, well, they just sort of SWIM like a fish more than actually fly. Trust me. After you've flown one for a while, crashing will get more difficult!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Fastsky

Wow! Thankx to those that have responded! Very interesting comments.