Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost a teen to learn?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How much does it cost a teen to learn?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does it cost a teen to learn?

I just renewed my membership for one of the 3 clubs I fly with (I know I am late [X(] ) and when looking at the application I noticed something, so I researched the other two clubs, same thing. Club membership is FREE at all 3 clubs if you are under 19 with AMA membership, which is only $1 per year for people under 19.And since instruction is free a little math tell me it only cost $1 to learn to fly if you are a teen!!!
Add to that AMAs introductory pilot program at participating clubs and you can get started even if you don't have an airplane!!!
I see alot of teens come on to this forum with excuses why they need to do it themselfs and I see cost as one of the biggest factors without ever bothering to really check into it.
I am not saying all clubs offer this same deal but you will never know without asking.
So you teens out there, if you really want to learn to fly, there is no better way to learn than at an AMA sanctioned club.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How much does it cost a teen to learn?

We're free to students. Even into College, as long as proof of college can be provided. AMA is required, though.

So, yeah, this is a great way for teens, students in general, can join in and learn to fly RC.

CGr.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
carrellh

We give free membership to the children of members (age 18 and under). We currently have two or three active 'junior' members. Last year we only had one.

I think our current rules would require a young person to pay regular dues ($40 per year) if not covered under a family member's membership. It has never come up so I'm not sure. It would not surprise me to see us waive the dues (at least for the first year) to give kids a chance to learn in a relatively safe environment. If they decided to stick with it after the first year, the $40 dues would be small change compared to the price of planes and equipment.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
wings

No doubt,

The price for the club and AMA is the cheapest thing related to this hobby. Unless you plan to fly the club's trainer indefinitely you will spend at the very minimum a couple hundred bucks for the plane, radio, fuel, etc. And that is if you get a bargain.

Most radios are $2-3 hundred bucks. 40 size Engines $60 and up. Decent ARF new at least $80 Field equipment (starter,battery, fuel, glow plugs, glow igniter) at least another $50.

I guess it all depends on your interpretation of how much it costs to learn to fly I guess. What you have described is how much does it cost a teen to have the clearance to fly at a club.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
mclina

I signed up my three kids this year, 10, 11 & 12. It cost $3 for AMA and $15 for my local club, total. They all have their own frequency pins, and the girls now have their own trainers.

It should be a fun summer.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: wings

No doubt,

The price for the club and AMA is the cheapest thing related to this hobby. Unless you plan to fly the club's trainer indefinitely you will spend at the very minimum a couple hundred bucks for the plane, radio, fuel, etc. And that is if you get a bargain.

Most radios are $2-3 hundred bucks. 40 size Engines $60 and up. Decent ARF new at least $80 Field equipment (starter,battery, fuel, glow plugs, glow igniter) at least another $50.

I guess it all depends on your interpretation of how much it costs to learn to fly I guess. What you have described is how much does it cost a teen to have the clearance to fly at a club.

For the most part I am reffering to young people who have already spent good money on an airplane but decide to go it alone, usually trashing the airplane, because they think they have no other option and can't afford training.
Go it alone or with help, you still have to buy an airplane. I am just pointing out that you really don't have to go it alone.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
wings

My bad...

I interpreted the post as a teenager typing it and thinking he could be flying planes for $3, lol.

Wouldn't it be nice if that were true!