Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nitro trainers...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nitro trainers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro trainers...

I am currently assembling my Nexstar 46 ARF, which is my first plane. Something I can suggest to you is going to Tower Hobbies' website and looking at the instruction manuals for the different planes you like-they all require different levels of assembly, even though they may all be considered ARF. The Nexstar, despite a few typographical errors in the manual, is very easy to assemble and requires minimal resources (materials, tools, glue, etc.) [actually Nexstar doesn't need ANY glue to assemble] while it still give you a good understanding of what's in a plane and how it all works. I just looked at the Avistar and Tower Trainer manual. These plane requires much more gluing, shaping, removing covering material, etc. If I had a lot of time and space to assemble a plane, I wouldn't mind getting something a little more in depth as it would be a great learning experience. However, I don't have time and only have a room to live in and build my plane, so the Nexstar is great. There are some imperfections with the Nexstar, but there are tons of resources out there so you can deal with them within an hour or too (since you've found this site, and I'd be happy to regurgitate everything I've learned).

The main reason I got the Nexstar is that in the manual there are directions on how to add servos and make adaptations for flaps; you can add up to 3 more servos and have elevons or full ailerons and flaps. It is my goal to utilize this opportunity to learn how to do all kinds of things on my first plane, then have more possibilities with second plane. And, since you have the radio you have, you would be utilize the computer aspect and mix channels together (once you've gotten the hang of flying without it) to link the ailerons/rudder/flaps and get a complete learning experience. You can probably do this with other planes, too, but the Nexstar comes pre-setup to make the changes really easy.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
ThisDayWakes
My Feedback: (2)

Does anyone else have an opinion for the Sig Rascal 40 ARF as a beginner, it says its a trainer, just double chcking. I'm really wanting a high wing tail dragger trainer. I was also looking at the Greatplanes Piper cub .40 as well... anyone feel that these planes would be too much trouble?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThisDayWakes

Does anyone else have an opinion for the Sig Rascal 40 ARF as a beginner, it says its a trainer, just double chcking. I'm really wanting a high wing tail dragger trainer. I was also looking at the Greatplanes Piper cub .40 as well... anyone feel that these planes would be too much trouble?

Thanks
I reviewed the Sig Rascal 40 ARF last year ( [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=895[/link] ) and I must say that I was very pleasantly suprised by this bird. It was indeed a joy to fly. While it's a bit more capable than most trainers I don't think that anybody would have any problems learning on this plane with a good instructor.

Ken
Old 03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny, my oldest student just crashed my Nitro Trainer yesterday. He had soloed A few weeks ago but got into it with A cross wind on take off.
He called tonight and wanted me to choose his new trainer for him, he had three choices and one maybe. All were A good choice so I just told him to pick out the one he liked the best.
Like Ken mentioned I really like flying trainers and when the wind comes up they are even more fun and I can get them to stunt better, maybe not better but I have A lot more fun doing it.
My trainer was A mystery ship, someone gave it to someone and then someone gave it to me, think I was the third or fourth owner, never did know for sure what it was. All the old gear and engine will just slide into the new plane so no one is really out too much. Three of my students learned to fly with it so I think it was A good one, Whateveritwas.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: ThisDayWakes

Thanks
For a trainer the SIG Rascal is ok the Great Planes Cub i would say no. A friend at my club had a Cub as a 2nd plane and could not handle it. After 4 crashes (mostly from looping on takeoff) he got so fed up he gave the airplane to another club member.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
N1061D

I started on a used Hobbico SuperStar 40/OS .40LA bought from a club member,who used it to test TX/RX for his other planes.I just moved on to a 4*40/OS .46AX.I use the Super* to "warm up" with before running the 4*.The guy said last week..."ya know,that trainer I sold you was such a good little plane,engine and all.I wish I hadn't sold it".