Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bragging about the .55 AX

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bragging about the .55 AX

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bragging about the .55 AX

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

What""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""s with all the """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'s!!??

Sorry, I couldn"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""t help it!

Now, that's FUNNY
Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

We should really take this to PM's...

I've set up a bunch of T.H. engines so I've been through the wringer on all of the problems ( which tend to be user caused! ).

PM me if you wish to discuss...

If you feel the need to got to pm's that's what the option is there for.

On the other hand, yetti831 asked specifically for an opinion of whether or not the OS55 and the TH46 were equal and seemed to state that they both advertised 1.75hp @ 16,000. So it's quite sensible to answer that question right up front. And to discuss the power@rpm issue too.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: yetti831

OS .55 AX Vs. TH .46.
ORIGINAL: yetti831

I completely understand what you're saying. I want to get nice O.S. ASAP, but they both say 1.75 at 16,000 rpm. What other specs contribute to the power of an engine? Do these engines not have the same output? If the Mailbu can keep up with the vette . . . Fill me in! I'm not yet very technical.

I've only seen the TH46 operate on others' models. I was asked to help solve one's habit of dead-sticking. I was asked to help try and start a couple. They appear to be good engines for what they cost. But as for the 46 in comparison to the 55, they're in two entirely different worlds as far as power is conscerned. The savings in price has been an important topic to each owner of those TH's. While I worked, they explained why they'd bought the engine. They are cheap for sure. And in every case, after I got them running and adjusted, they appeared to be quite servicable. But as for power, they are average for 45s. So they were a good price for an average amount of power. How long they were going to last, I have no idea.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: da Rock

If you feel the need to got to pm's that's what the option is there for.

On the other hand, yetti831 asked specifically for an opinion of whether or not the OS55 and the TH46 were equal and seemed to state that they both advertised 1.75hp @ 16,000. So it's quite sensible to answer that question right up front. And to discuss the power@rpm issue too.
Heh, We took the tuning discussion over to PM's so as not to "pollute" the thread with something that was unrelated to the original post. e.g. how to get his T.H. working properly...

Re: TH .46 versus OS .55.

As indicated Tower loves to inflate their marketing figures. The .55 AX should be more powerful than the TH .46.

But that would be the same as comparing the power output from say a .75 AX versus the O.S. .46 AX, the larger displacement will win...

It's another matter if we are taking about dissimiliar engines such as an O.S. .46 LA versus the .46 AX...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I got totally moderated out of this entire thread, despite my posts also praising the virtues and value of the O.S. Max AX family of two-strokes. Oh well, I like O.S. Max AX engines... guess I'd better just leave it at that.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I got totally moderated out of this entire thread, despite my posts also praising the virtues and value of the O.S. Max AX family of two-strokes. Oh well, I like O.S. Max AX engines... guess I'd better just leave it at that.
The time warp ( due to software rollbacks ) the forum has been in over the last few days, was probably to blame...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
bigedmustafa

It'd be nice if that was all there was to it.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

It'd be nice if that was all there was to it.

????

There are no posts that were deleted out of this thread. (mods can see that stuff) The site has been restored a couple of times in the last few days and each time posts are lost. It's also RCU's policy to communicate directly with the poster when posts are deleted or edited. So if you haven't been contacted, you weren't deleted.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
bigedmustafa

Wow, OK da Rock. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

There are posts on this thread that were entered before and after my responses that I remember reading last night, and it's like my posts were cut out of the middle of this thread. It was pretty weird.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the feeling that RCU was having some server issues in the past couple of days. A couple evenings ago, I would select the beginners forum and sat there for about 5 minutes watching it until I just shut down and did something else. All of RCU was just plan slow or not moving at all.. so I attributed it to a problem with their server. They were doing some sort of maintenance the other night, so probably was experiencing some problems. It all seems ok now, though.

CGr.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RCU experience corruption in our image database over the weekend. As Marc rolled back the site to correct this problem a new problem was found with the fact that the site was running extremely slowly. It took a bit to find it but finally they realized that MSSQL needed to be reinstalled on the servers. After that happened everything was back up and good. The programmers thought they had the issues with the data corruption fixed but unfortunately the problem popped back up again last night, which forced Marc to roll back again. Unfortunately whenever a roll back occurs any posts made during the time that was rolled back ( in the case midnight last night until 9 am this morning) are lost when the site rolls back. Marc tries to avoid doing this whenever possible, but sometimes it's the only way to quickly fix what could turn into a major problem. We are sorry for any problems that may have resulted from this.

Ken
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i love every OS engine and Super Tigre i have ever owned out of many,....... i love my OS 50 SX the most, i'd be willing to bet that it'll out perform a tt46.... next is the fx 61

just my 2 cents... it the 55 ax performs as well or better than my OS 50sx, then its one hell of an engine
Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

i love every OS engine and Super Tigre i have ever owned out of many,....... i love my OS 50 SX the most, i'd be willing to bet that it'll out perform a tt46.... next is the fx 61

just my 2 cents... it the 55 ax performs as well or better than my OS 50sx, then its one hell of an engine
I've been running at least one OS50FX since they first came out. Yeah, I'm that old.

I've been running a couple of 55AXs since they came out. The 55 is one hell of an engine. I'll be flying one in about 2 hours. And will be flying this P40 with it's 50FX. I guarantee they both will work excellently well. Turns out that a person can be rich in other things than just money.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51310.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	931851  
Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
MetallicaJunkie

os made a 50FX or was it a typo? happy landings
Old 04-18-2008, 03:10 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

os made a 50FX or was it a typo? happy landings

Yup, I bought a couple of them in the 80s if I remember correctly. The manual said they were 50SX on one line and said they were "FX series" on the line below.

One is in that P40. It cranked on one flip today and pulled like a bull.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
da Rock

Oh yeah, I looked at the OS50 box today as I was unpacking the planes. The engine was $119 back in the 80s. ) Think I got my money out of it yet?

And the hobbyshop was going out of business and had two of them. So I got 'em for less than $119. Lot's less.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got an OS 50SX also - great engine! (Not as good as the 55AX though)
Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 AM
CGRetired

Yeah, I bought one a while back too (OS 50 SX) and put it on a Rapier Ripmax flying wing. It is a hand launch design, and it literally pulled out of my hand on the maiden (someone else was flying it). And, after about 6 flights, we put it against a police RADAR gun. 121.5 mph with the original prop. The guy with the RADAR gun said that with a prop change, it would easily top 140 mph. I'm not sure about that, but it sure was fast with that combination.

Later on, I put that engine on a Four Star 40 in place of the OS 46 that was on it, and it really screamed! I was surprized about the noticeable difference between the two engines. I mean, not like adding, say a 55 AX but it did do much better. That too is (I still have it) a good powerhouse. I am looking for a home for it now.. have been building a Something Extra kit. I ought to get going on that and get it finished and put that engine on there and quit procrastinating!!

CGr.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I've got an OS 50SX also - great engine! (Not as good as the 55AX though)
I had two 50sx engines and currently have two 55AX engines. The first 50sx smoked it's rear bearing and started giving a death rattle. OS made good on it and replaced it. The second started going that way so I switched to the 55ax's and have not had a problem with either of them. No I did not run them lean and they never dead sticked. They just tossed their bearings. I have seen other posts here regarding OS 50sx bearing issues. This may be why the engine had a reletively short production time and was replaced with the, IMO, superior OS 55ax.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM
CGRetired

Yeah, Stang, I was thinking the same thing. It did not last very long on the production line. Mine still runs good, as far as I know, anyway. But I do not have that many flights on it either. We will see because I have plans for that engine on a Something Extra kit I have in progress.

CGr
Old 08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
francis74
My Feedback: (16)

What fuel does this engine like to run with best?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I sent my student out to buy A new OS .46 LA for the new trainer, he came back with A new OS .55 AX. Today was the day for break in and test running.
What can I say, I opened the high end out 1 3/4 turns, pointed my finger at it and commanded it to start. Well, sorta, it took one little bump with the starter after I choked it. I never had to touch the low end at all. I ran it fat for one tank then leaned it out and ran it up and down for the next tank. The thing will idle at 900 rpm then run right up without A stammer. Sometimes things just work right out of the box.
Haven't been this impressed sense I got my SK .91.
Just had to brag A little and sing some praise for OS, this one is A keeper.
Welcome to the planet...
Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: francis74

What fuel does this engine like to run with best?
I've got a 46AX and a 55AX, and in my oppionion they both run the best on 10% nitro. Smooth transitions, long run times, cooler head temperatures, etc. I've tried 15% in both and switched back pretty quickly.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Kemosobie

I run 10% powermaster and it runs just great. Have used Powermaster for years.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:34 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I haven't bought an OS in a long time. I can understand the appeal, however. Their marketing is very good, and so is the product. I do think they're over-priced, and perhaps a bit uninteresting.

I like variety in my engines. Today an Irvine .72 showed up. A real Irvine, NIB, not one of the current ones. Just a beautiful, beautiful piece of art. If it behaves as well as my .53, I'll be an extremely happy fellow. This one will find a home in an Ultra Sport 60.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.