Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"World Models"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"World Models"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
flyfish28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "World Models"

Hi.... New guy here. I'm wondering if anybody has purchased any nitro planes from this Company. I'm looking at the Jeff Troys "TAMEcat" under trainers. Is this really a trainer? Are the assembly instructions any good on this or any of their planes? How are they to deal with? (Returns, etc). I'm presently flying and repairing an Alpha 60 and a Big Stik 60...... Any idea's or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
opjose

Default RE: "World Models"

ORIGINAL: flyfish28

I'm wondering if anybody has purchased any nitro planes from this Company.
Yes

Is this really a trainer?
It's really a "second" plane.

Are the assembly instructions any good on this or any of their planes?
Defnine "good"?

The instructions are typical of most Asian Arf's... pictures and diagrams... but why ask, you can download the manuals at the http://www.theworldmodels.com web site.

How are they to deal with? (Returns, etc).
OK

You can return or exchange things w/o problems as long as you are dealing with their U.S. distribution. airborne-models.com

But don't expect building help or questions on building anything answered.

This typifies most box and go sellers.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
carrellh

Compared to your Hangar 9 and Great Planes ARFs, the World Models instructions seem to be lacking some details (I have only seen the instructions for the Sky Raider Mach I and Mach II). However, if you assembled the Alpha and the Stik by yourself, you probably have plenty of experience to figure out the WM plane. You can always use your existing manuals as reference material since the majority of ARF assembly is pretty similar from one to the next.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Your better off getting a plane like the Alpha 40 from H-9. built covered and engine and radio installed and a three year warrinty. Dennis
Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
tessmar

World Models are also distributed by Airborne Models out of Livermore, CA. Web site is http://www.airborne-models.com
I have not dealt with them directly but many of my club members have and say they are fine to deal with. In terms of World quality...they are excellent given the price. We have Sky Raider Mark IIs, LA Racers, and Super Sports 40s in the club and all are good flyers. A nice touch is that the ARFs are pre-hinged with pinned hinges. They do tend to be lightly constructed and don't stand up well to rough landings or crashes. On the other hand, the notoriously weak landing gear in the Sky raider seems to have been corrected with newer versions. The instructions are about as bad as they come but if you have built other models you should be able to do OK. Just be sure to test fit and evaluate things before permanently mounting anything. I'm not familiar with the model you are considering but if it is anything like the others I named above it will be good value for the price.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: tessmar

A nice touch is that the ARFs are pre-hinged with pinned hinges.
SOME are, not all.

The majority in the 40-60 range have CA hinges.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I have a WM 40 sized P51 with retracts. Very nice plane, good quality, and flies very nicely.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Gary L.

I have the Wings Maker Fly Boy 50 ( same company, different pockets ) with retracts and it flies very good also, but, the instructions are kinda wimpy.. http://thewingsmaker.com/
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah, good idea to check out the instructions online they are very different from the Hobbico instructions I just had for my plane. Nitromodels does have a rep or something on this site, so if you come across problems just post them, and people seem to get back to you you can search Nitromodels in the top left corner and take a look at what comes up. Any disgruntled customers seem to be taken care of, and many have good things to say. I'm looking at one of their planes too, and heard many good things about it (super low-trainer 40). It would be my second plane.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
2slow2matter

My only complaint was that the split elevator used some goofy setup with one pushrod connected to another pushrod, all connected to a servo in the tray. I replaced all of the hardware, and installed dual servo's in the rear of the plane to eliminate the goofy linkage. But, with any ARF, one should be ready to do some extra reinforcement and replace some of the cheaper hardware. Still, a great flying plane.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Missileman

The split elevator to a single servo via 2 pushrods and a couple of wheel collars are actually quite common. I have several Great Planes models that are like that. They work fine and are not hard to install.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
2slow2matter

I know they are common, but this plane is a replacement because a friend bought the original, and put it together like it was designed. It crashed on the maiden due to hardware failure. Not the pushrods, but something else on the elevator linkage (I can't remember what now, because it was a couple of years ago). WM replaced the plane for free and he didn't want it anymore, so I bought the replacement NIB. I decided to do dual servos on the elevator because I like it much better that way.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
goirish

I'm like you Missileman I have a CAP that I connected the two halves together with wheel collars and it works fine.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

World Models makes some good airplanes. Yes, the instructions aren't great but they are usually accurate at least which is more than can be said of many no-name ARF's. One nice thing is that they often label hardware bags with the corresponding assembly step. Speaking of hardware, WM almost always has good stuff unlike the no-name guys.

I really don't care for the WM covering but it isn't the worst I've seen either. They sell it by the roll if you ever need to make repairs. Be sure to beef up the firewall with a little tri-stock and epoxy if it looks at all questionable.

The best part about this manufacturer is the way their planes fly. I've never met a WM plane that wasn't a great flyer.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello,

ive got a couple of the WM planes and like them very much, and the instructions arent to bad. as for getting help airborne has been great with answering questions about the products they sell.

the quality of the arfs ( i have the .46 corsair and electric spitfire) has been very good and both planes fly well.

bassman
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

World Models makes some good airplanes. Yes, the instructions aren't great but they are usually accurate at least which is more than can be said of many no-name ARF's. One nice thing is that they often label hardware bags with the corresponding assembly step. Speaking of hardware, WM almost always has good stuff unlike the no-name guys.
The BEST thing they do, which I wish others would also, is to supply the clear cowl "template" for you to use to figure out where you will be putting holes or cutouts in.

Why doesn't anyone else do this, including the big boys?

Is it really so hard to do?

Kudos to WM on this.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

The BEST thing they do, which I wish others would also, is to supply the clear cowl "template" for you to use to figure out where you will be putting holes or cutouts in.
Good point, I forgot about that. Even if you make a mistake on the clear dummy cowl, you can just tape it up and try again until it's just right. It sure beats ruining the nice fiberglass cowl then having to order a new one.

The WM Rambler 45 is probably one of my favorite planes by the way. The pictures on their web site look goofy but the plane is much nicer in real life plus the flight characteristics are excellent.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:32 AM
flyfish28

WOW! This seems to be the place to get some answers. Thanks everbody, it all helps......

"CARRELLH" No, I didn't put my Alpha 60 & Big Stik 60 together all by myself. I'm still having trouble with servos and pushrods, but the guys here are very helpful. 3 or 4 of the people in our club here have over 40+years experience, very willing to help. I just had my first solo flight last Dec.

Thanks Again Guys
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Flyfish did you ever get your TameCat Trainer from AirBorne Models,
I ordered one last weekend, hope it shows up soon. My only grip was not
having several shipping options, and not being supplied with a tracking number.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
carrellh

Sounds like a great group. We have several guys like that. They say, "Bring it to the shop and we'll check it out," and they will help anyone through almost any issue.

Gluing in hinges is one part I have problems with. I had a huge gap in the rudder hinge line of my Big Stik 60. My brother helped me seal it with monokote on both sides and it seems good. When I get stuck I get him to come over, or I haul the problem to his house.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
rockerdude22

Hi.... New guy here. I'm wondering if anybody has purchased any nitro planes from this Company. I'm looking at the Jeff Troys "TAMEcat" under trainers. Is this really a trainer? Are the assembly instructions any good on this or any of their planes? How are they to deal with? (Returns, etc). I'm presently flying and repairing an Alpha 60 and a Big Stik 60...... Any idea's or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I have the Alpha 40 trainer by H9 and with some little exceptions, its been a great plane for me. I would reccomend it to you anytime. Ive never heard of world models. I would ask your LHS first and see what they think about this company/distributor.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:49 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rockerdude22

Well, I have the Alpha 40 trainer by H9 and with some little exceptions, its been a great plane for me. I would reccomend it to you anytime. Ive never heard of world models. I would ask your LHS first and see what they think about this company/distributor.
Yeah like your LHS would give you an unbiased assessment of planes from a potential ( and much cheaper ) competitor... sigh...

-

The WM planes are very good, there is nothing inherently wrong, but like most Asian arf's they are not for beginners.

There are reviews of several of their planes here, and on many mags including FlyRC.

Check out the Ultimate 40S posting in the reviews.

All of the reviews have been quite positive, but all have exactly the same caveats....

Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
gisi

Myself and another guy have built two TWM World Star 40s.

They were easy to build, but some building experience doesn't hurt at all.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM
flyfish28

Hey guys....... Thanks a lot for all the info..... I leave tomorrow for the summer in Montana, what else but to "flyfish"......... "No" flying there, at least not close by.

Thanks again
Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter
My only complaint was that the split elevator used some goofy setup with one pushrod connected to another pushrod, all connected to a servo in the tray. I replaced all of the hardware, and installed dual servo's in the rear of the plane to eliminate the goofy linkage. But, with any ARF, one should be ready to do some extra reinforcement and replace some of the cheaper hardware. Still, a great flying plane.
IMHO the World Model pushrod connector is a very nice piece of engineering. I usually build from plans or kits and on several occasions I have bought the World Model pushrod connector for use in my plans built aircraft. Do not forget to make 90 degree bends in the pushrod ends before fitting the connector.