Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Carb gummed up on OS 60 FP

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Carb gummed up on OS 60 FP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
BigHog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb gummed up on OS 60 FP

I already know I should have used after run oil on her before putting her way. I did not do that and the carb on the OS .60 FP appears to be seized. I purchased a new carb, but would still like to know if there is a way to get the original carb working again. Like I said, I have already replaced the carb, so I am willing to try anything with the original to get it working.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:51 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Carb gummed up on OS 60 FP

Yes - First just remove from the engine and let it sit in a closed can of old fuel for a few days, then gently rock the throttle arm. If that fails then just heat in a pan of boiling water on the stove for for ten minutes or so and remove while hot hold the carb body and rock the throttle arm.

In almost every case this will do the trick You could use a propane torch carefully to do the same but its possible to get things a little too hot.

John
Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've had 100% success with nothing more than a bit or rubbing alcohol and possibly a little heat. If it moves even the slightest bit, just drip some rubbing alcohol in there and move the throttle arm back and forth. It will cut the congealed oil. Keep doing this until it moves freely. If it won't move at all, heat it to about 300 degrees. This will soften the oil and allow it to move. While it's still hot, pour on some rubbing alcohol and move it back and forth until it's free and clean. Once it's moving freely, heat it a bit to evaporate all the alcohol and then oil it up.

You should also remove the needle valve and clean it.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
BigHog

Thanks for the feedback. I will try this tonight. The carb has a plastic throttle arm. I have an old K&B carb with a metal throttle arm, I hope I can exchange them, just for the purpose of heating it up. Then I will put the original back on. I wish I had stumbled across this before I forked out almost $40 for a new carb. She does not move at all. I cannot tighten the throttel arm enough, it moves before the carb barrel does.