Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Second Plane" build thread, what do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I would like to see that.
80.00%
No thanks.
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

"Second Plane" build thread, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Second Plane" build thread, what do you think?

I've been building a Top-Flite P-47 It's coming along nice but lately I've been a little burned out on it. I'm kind of in the mood for a simple, straight forward build to occupy a few evenings a week and pick up on the P-47 again this winter. Anyhow, a while back RCKen did a build thread on a Sig LT-40 trainer. Who would be interested in a similar thread on something suitable as a second plane? I'm going to build something anyhow but if enough people are interested, I will post progress on here. I will try to get plenty of photos and detail each step, answering questions along the way. I am by no means an "expert" builder but I do have a dozen or so planes under my belt that managed to fly well and look half way good.

Since I have a spare OS .46-AX, I'd like to build a 40 size plane. I'd prefer to build a Tiger-2 since I've never built one before but I'll also do a 4-Star, Rapture, etc. if people would rather see that. I'll even let members here choose the covering scheme as long as it isn't beyond my capabilities.

When the plane is complete, I will either fly it or donate it to my club's raffle.

I'll even try to get a flight video when it is all finished if I can find someone who is able to get some decent footage of a moving plane.

Let me know what you think. I'd like to get the kit ordered by Wednesday night so I can have it here ready to start this weekend.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: "Second Plane" build thread, what do you think?

Chuckw,
That's a great idea. I've been trying to get to the point where I could do a 2nd plane build thread similar to my LT-40 build. But I have been so swamped with reviews that I just haven't had a chance to get it going. I was hoping to start the project later this summer.

Ken
Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
ChuckW

If you already have plans to do it, I'll hold off. If you don't mind though, I will go forward so long as enough people are interested. I see a lot of people who do their first build as their second plane so I figured it would be a good idea.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure. Any bulid thread is worth watching. I like to see other guy's shops whether the model is of interest or no. And most are of interest in any case.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chuck,
Right now it would be July at the earliest that I could even think about starting.

Ken
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Chuck,
Right now it would be July at the earliest that I could even think about starting.

Ken
Maybe you can jump in on my thread from time to time to help answer questions that will hopefully come up from people.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Chuck,

Ken
Maybe you can jump in on my thread from time to time to help answer questions that will hopefully come up from people.
I'm always here!!!!

Ken
Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see too many Sig Four-Star and Goldberg Tiger threads, you almost don't need the owner's manual since every step is easily spelled out on the kit building forum. If you build anything, Ken, I'd like to see something that isn't so commonly discussed around these parts. Namely, the Great Planes Rapture that I worked on last winter. I am getting ready to put mine back into operation after an extremely hard crash landing. The fact that only the wing was damaged says a lot about this model's durability. The Rapture is a perfectly fine machine as long as you build it right and don't try to 3D with it. But I suppose it's that way with any low-wing trainer-type aircraft.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 05-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here is my vote for airframe since it is one on my list of planes I would like to build myself. Although some may not concider it a "second" plane.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZR8&P=0]GP Ultra Sport 40 Plus[/link]
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Well here is my vote for airframe since it is one on my list of planes I would like to build myself. Although some may not concider it a "second" plane.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZR8&P=0]GP Ultra Sport 40 Plus[/link]
If Chuckw does a "second" plane build thread I may just accomodate you in your request. Although it will be a Ultra Sport 60, I am hoping to build one this summer.

Ken
Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 AM
ChuckW

I definitely want to stick to a second plane material since I see a lot of people using that as their first build.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chuckw,
That was my plans as well. I've got everything here ready to go on the build, I just need the time to do it. I was planning on building the Tiger II for my build.

Ken
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
ChuckW

Chuckw,
That was my plans as well. I've got everything here ready to go on the build, I just need the time to do it. I was planning on building the Tiger II for my build.

Ken
If you really have your heart set on doing it, just let me know and I will hold off. I don't mind at all. I was just looking for away to do a simple, relaxing build and figured I might use the opportunity to help a few people at the same time. I'll do the build either way. I'd also prefer to do the Tiger-2 because I've never built or flown one.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chuck,
Let me get through today and we can figure out what we're going to do.

Ken
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Missileman

I would like to see a sub forum in the beginners forum with build threads of trainer planes and assembly threads of trainer ARFs.
There are so many build and assembly questions that a good thread on each type of airplane with pictures and all will really help alot of people out.
I know there is already a kit build forum and ARF forum but not specifically for beginners and sifting through them can be confusing for a novice.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 PM
ChuckW

A nice detailed thread on assembling a basic ARF trainer geared toward complete beginners wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
ChuckW

OK... only 14 votes so far. It is 10 in favor and 4 against. While that could be considered a "yes" the overall low number of responses seem to indicate not much interest. Maybe there aren't enough people interested in a kit?

Based on the apparent low interest and the fact that RCKen already has plans for something similar, I've decide not to do the build thread. I'm still going t build this plane or something else for my spare .46, just not detail it on here.

Are there any other projects that people might be more interested in seeing?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Gary L.

I would like to see any build, right now I'm in the middle of recovering my brother in laws trainer ( my first cover job ) and so far Im haven't had to peel and redo any of it yet...