Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

can Electric wires cause interference on a 2.4ghz spektrum?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

can Electric wires cause interference on a 2.4ghz spektrum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can Electric wires cause interference on a 2.4ghz spektrum?

Our field has some power lines to the east. They're fairly close and we always fly over them or under them or close to them as they run all the way along.

I'm freaking getting hit when i'm in that area. Total black outs for a couple of seconds.

I got a Spektrum DX6i and Ar6200 reciever. The receiver in installed 90deg to the remote receiver as indicated in the guide. Range check is perfectly fine.

I can fly as far north as I want, as far high as I want and so on, but when I go east over the wires, I get hit 70% of the time.

I'd say the wires are 150ft East.

Ideas?

2nd questions while I'm at it. My .46AX starts backwards 90% of the time. I use a chicken stick, is this just a side effect of using the chicken stick?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: can Electric wires cause interference on a 2.4ghz spektrum?

Cant help with #1

but #2, are you trying to flip it clockwise to start it? Thats what I have to do to get it to start properly. It sometimes starts backwards but usually blipping the throttle up and down a few times will get the engine kicked back running in the right direction.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 PM
blitzskiff

I nearly jumped out of my skin when i read #1, A guy at a club that i went to had the 7 channel model and the same thing happened to him to. He was flying by power wires and lost ailerons, almost total his aircraft too. luckily for him got control at the last second.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Question #1. Yes, high tension power lines can cause interference with radios, both 2.4 Ghz and 72 Mhz systems. To be safe you want to stay away from them.

Quesiton #2. Glow engines start and run backwards because they are flooded. You need to make sure there is less fuel in the engine when you prime it. What I usually do to prime my engine is open the throttle wide open. Then without the glow driver attached cover the exhaust port on the muffler and turn the engine over by hand. Watch the fuel line and continue turning the engine over until you see the fuel travel up the fuel tube until it enters the carburetor. Then take your hand off the exhaust port and turn the engine over 2-4 more times to get fuel into the cylinder. Then return the throttle to idle and attach the glow driver and start the engine normally. If it still starts backwards reduce the number of times you turn the engine over after fuel enters the carb.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Osirisf16

Question #1: I agree with RCKen. I have bad crash once my plane and that due to high tension poles. The strange is that i was flying about 100-150 metres away when i got interfered. I was using a stock radio so i think it was the radio which is a little weak. You saying that you can fly above those poles??? That's weird. Do you know the voltage of these high tension poles? The poles on my field have a voltage of 132000 Volts. They are really big poles. Can't be bigger than that, and they are near my fly area, darn [:@]

Question #2: With the experience of car engines, yes it sounds flooded. If i turn it clockwise (the opposite direction that must spin), for some timing reaso or something, the engine will be forced to turn counter-clockwise as it should.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:01 AM
simmo8

G-Day
yes they can and so can wire fences it is called white noise i have never been told other wise

simmo
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Missileman

A common misconception I hear over and over again is that 2.4 Ghz radios are immune to interference. That is just not true.
The only intereference they are imune to is another transmitter on the same channel and even that is not 100%.
True story, I was flying my electric heli with a 2.4 Ghz TX in my front yard, my wife brings me the cordless 2.4 Ghz phone, when she got close I started glitching. The phone actually intereffered with my transmitter.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 AM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Missileman

A common misconception I hear over and over again is that 2.4 Ghz radios are immune to interference. That is just not true.
The only intereference they are imune to is another transmitter on the same channel and even that is not 100%.
True story, I was flying my electric heli with a 2.4 Ghz TX in my front yard, my wife brings me the cordless 2.4 Ghz phone, when she got close I started glitching. The phone actually intereffered with my transmitter.
I hope you disciplined her

I'm gonna try to avoid the lines from here on which kinda sucks because where I like to start my descent for landings.

As for the AX46 starting backwards, I really don't prime it that much. I usually do 1-2 turns after I see fuel in the line connect to the carb.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Osirisf16

What the heck phone is it??? I never heard such a story.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

What the heck phone is it??? I never heard such a story.
While you may have not heard this story this is a very common occurrence. There are many devices that operate on the 2.4 Ghz frequencies that can interfere with our radios. As Missleman stated above, 2.4 Ghz radios are not immune from interference. They can still receive interference from many sources, including high tension power lines discussed by the original poster in this thread.

Ken
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANY radio system can be affected by high tension power lines. Those lines carry so much current that they create huge electromagnetic fields. Because the lines are carrying AC, the fields are always pulsating in and out many times a second. All bets are off if your antenna catches one.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
rockerdude22

I dont have power lines at my airfeild so this doesnt happen to me but I do know a little bit about those wires. They all have a huge electromgnetic feild around them about 15ft in radius (from the wire out) and if you are more than 15ft away from the power lines you should be fine. But I have not had any experience with this problem so I dont exactly know. If it becomes a major problem (regular crashes, close calls, ect.) call up your city and ask them to stuff the lines underground. If they ask why give them a good reason why (someone getting electricuted, 1000$ planes lost, stuff like that), if they still reject then just fly away from the power lines if possible. Otherwise, just use another feild.

Tyler
Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
rockerdude22

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

ANY radio system can be affected by high tension power lines. Those lines carry so much current that they create huge electromagnetic fields. Because the lines are carrying AC, the fields are always pulsating in and out many times a second. All bets are off if your antenna catches one.
Sorry Nathan, didnt mean to repeat what you said [&:]. Didnt see your post.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Osirisf16

A little correction here They are not carry a lot current, but a lot voltage. These big poles carrying 132000 volts. Trust me, i know that because i have being teached by an electrical engineer for 8 years (since i was 4th grade That year, i did me first mistake. The result was a BOOM ). If the current was very large, then the diameter of those cables on the poles would be at least...5 metres perhamps or more
Old 05-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: rockerdude22

I dont have power lines at my airfeild so this doesnt happen to me but I do know a little bit about those wires. They all have a huge electromgnetic feild around them about 15ft in radius (from the wire out) and if you are more than 15ft away from the power lines you should be fine. But I have not had any experience with this problem so I dont exactly know. If it becomes a major problem (regular crashes, close calls, ect.) call up your city and ask them to stuff the lines underground. If they ask why give them a good reason why (someone getting electricuted, 1000$ planes lost, stuff like that), if they still reject then just fly away from the power lines if possible. Otherwise, just use another feild.

Tyler
I don't think so man. My plane fell about 150-200 metres away from those darn lines. Of course maybe it was my poor quality radio, i don't know but it interfered for sure
Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Missileman

The EMF field itself may not extend that far, at least the bulk of it, but the very nature of the field also generates a radio signal that can cause interferrence at a much farther distance. Very noticable with AM radio in a car, you can clearly notice the static within 500 ft or more.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Osirisf16

Yeah, what ever we do is, the interference will stay there. I think i will change area but is VERY difficult to find areas to fly, plus that all the modellist will have to change location due to we are all "one" (if you understand what i mean)
Old 05-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The normal leakage from power lines is not apt to disrupt your radio reception. It is only when there is leakage at a transformer or a short of some kind in the system (a not unlikely problem) that will create enough noise to cause interferance. If the high line is properly maintained it should not be a problem. If you are having lots of interferance, notify the power company so they can correct the problem.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Osirisf16

Correct the problem? Tell the company? Are you kidding? They will never fix such a problem Except if i got a flex and cut the pole Hmmm...now that i'm thinking
Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

A little correction here They are not carry a lot current, but a lot voltage. These big poles carrying 132000 volts. Trust me, i know that because i have being teached by an electrical engineer for 8 years (since i was 4th grade That year, i did me first mistake. The result was a BOOM ). If the current was very large, then the diameter of those cables on the poles would be at least...5 metres perhamps or more
Nice catch. 132 kilovolts is nothing to mess around with.

I'm afraid high levels of EMF travel much further than 15 feet. Levels of well over 6mG (mili gauss) can be found over 500 feet from the actual line.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Osirisf16

These lines are up there for a reason. If it was 15 feet, then those poles were be shorter.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
rockerdude22

Ok well I guess I was wrong, well the history channel was anyway =D. I was just watching something about guys that fix power lines from helicopters and they said the lines have a 30ft diameter of EMG around them. hmmm... sorry for the flase info [&:]
Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Nathan King

Ok well I guess I was wrong, well the history channel was anyway =D. I was just watching something about guys that fix power lines from helicopters and they said the lines have a 30ft diameter of EMG around them. hmmm... sorry for the flase info [&:]
That may be the diameter of the actual flux lines, but the EMF can occur much further out.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 AM
rockerdude22

That may be the diameter of the actual flux lines, but the EMF can occur much further out.
hmmm... you may be right. Thanks for the correction.

Tyler
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Missileman

hmmm... you may be right. Thanks for the correction.

Tyler
What they are reffering to is a level high enough that if they somehow ground out an electrical arc can form, just like lightening.
The EMF travels much farther at lower levels. I learned this in vault training which I needed to work in high voltage transformer vaults, electricity can do some nasty things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.