Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

yet another noobie question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

yet another noobie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Flintlock28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another noobie question

When people talk about "incidence" is this the difference between the bottom of the wing and the horizontal stabilizer in reference to a level fuselage? For example if the fuselage is leveled front to back the wing will have a little bit of angle of attack, is the horizontal stabilizer than usually planed out lower than the bottom of the wing?? Anybody please help me with this one......Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:33 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

The term "incidence" generally refers to the difference in the angle of the wing relative to the horizontal stabilizer. Draw a line through the middle of the wing, and the middle of the tail. The difference in these lines is incidence. For a flat bottom wing, the bottom of the wing would be OK. For a symmetric wing, the line is straight through the chord of the wing.
Quite often the airplane designer will also show an arbitrary line down the fuselage and show various angles of "incidence" from that line. For example, the engine thrust may have negative and/or right incidence as compared to that line. Usually the horizontal stab is parallel to that line, and the wing may have a few degrees of "positive incidence", meaning that the wing angle of attack is higher than the horizontal stab
Old 05-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Flintlock28

Default reply

Thanks for the info. I would assume in most aircraft that the hor. stab. is generally lower than the wing bottom (or chord). Are there cases of the hor. stab. being directly in line with the wing, or is there some kind of problem with putting the hor. stab. in line with the wing?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:16 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

The horizontal stab can be below, above or directly in line with the wing. In full scale planes there can be an issue where byt he turbulence of the air behind the wing affects the tail surfaces. Moving the tail higher or lower lets the tail fly thru cleaner air.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Flintlock28

Thanks again...