Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Lt-40, NexStar, Tower Trainer whats the difference?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Lt-40, NexStar, Tower Trainer whats the difference?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt-40, NexStar, Tower Trainer whats the difference?

I was really wondering whats the biggest difference between these trainers.
I see that the Nexstar has a few extras, Speed brakes the flight control system and spin control
The LT-40 Has the longest wing at 70 inches I think bigger might be better
The tower trainer has a wing of 62 inches.
So whats the real big difference other than color or just personal perference.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Adui

Default RE: Lt-40, NexStar, Tower Trainer whats the difference?

Um.. Price??

Sorry I couldnt resist..
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Of the three that you listed the hands down best is the LT-40. It's a trainer design that has been around for a long time and is a great flying plane.

Next would be the Tower Trainer. It's a good trainer at a very affordable price.

The last on my list is the Nexstar. In my opinion it's way over priced. Yes, it's got all the "extras" that you mentioned, but those usually come off before flying. Most instructors will turn off the AFS, and remove the speed brakes and wing droops. These are just gadgets that Hobbice uses to sell more planes. The plane is a better trainer without them as it teaches the student to fly with a crutch to become dependant on. Because these extras usually come off I recommend that students don't waste the extra money.

As far as flying goes the Tower and Nexstar are pretty similar once you get the gadgets off the Nexstar, and both will do a great job teaching the student. But the LT-40 flies better than both of them easily.

If price is the determining factor then go for the Tower Trainer. It's a great trainer for a fantastic price, and then the LT-40. Once again, I don't like the Nexstar because it's over priced.

You'll do fine with any of the three, so you'll have to decide which one you want to get.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM
plugin

If you consider looks as an important factor then the NexStar is by far the best looking. I bought the ARF version (No engine, radio or AFS) and got a 46AX for it which matched perfectly. This scenario doesn't yield much of a difference in price over the suggestions that Ken has. I personally have never flown the other two options mentioned and most importantly I'm not an instructor so I couldn't expand on the minutia regarding the bad habits some planes may pass on to your flying skills etc. After all, the objective is that you get to a point with your trainer where you can say "Its just flying, no big deal" so you'll eventually have to master the one you chose to the point that it wont make any difference... But that's just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I think of the LT-40 as being a relatively new design, but one that is very refined. Having flown multiple examples of nearly every trainer produced the last 40 years, the LT-40 remains my favorite to train with. A ten-year-old child can build it, cover it and learn to fly it. A half-blind old man can still see it and learn to fly with it. Anyone in-between will find it a great model to begin with. It can be set up to nearly fly itself, or you can learn most basic acrobatics maneuvers with it. So there is plenty of growth potential within the design just by changing the balance and control throws.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Blazer1

The LT-40 is the trainer of choice at the feild I fly at so that is what I learned on. It is a fantastic flying machine without the fancy "doodads" and "whatyoumaycallits" some of the other trainers have. The LT-40 flys well by design, it does not need gimmicks. O'yea, it also a Sig, enuff said!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if you're looking at the ARF or kit version of the LT-40. But if you're looking for the kit version here's something that could help you out. I did a build thread on the LT-40 that can give you an idea what is involved with building the kit.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

Ken
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
PipeMajor

I agree the LT-40 is the easiest to fly - but I'm biased. You can also obtain the LT-40 in either kit or ARF offerings. My son and I built ours from the kit. It made the flying part SO MUCH more rewarding plus I know the quality of EVERY glue joint in the airplane.

Buy the kit, read RCKen's build thread and you can't go wrong. Power? A plain bearing .40 will fly it but a ball bearing .46 will balance it better and offer a bit more reserve power for getting out of difficult situations. Use a fairly low pitched prop (we fly an 11-5) and it will slow down wonderfully for your landings.

Want to know how easy the LT-40 is for training? Our first flights weren't even on the buddy box. Our instructor simply handed off the transmitter to us once he got up to altitude. Once we got on the buddy box we were soloed after 6 total flights.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built the tower trainer b/c I got the kit for 30 bucks with the coupons tower offers periodically. It has quite a bit of dihedral for an aileron plane and using ailerons requires a smidge or rudder to groove a turn. You can howerver just about fly it with rudder, elevator only as well which makes it nice. It's pretty strong too... I had a flameout following takeoff when banking away from the pits... the touchdown wasn't pretty but no damage.
Mike