Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Y SERVO HARNESS >

Y SERVO HARNESS

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Y SERVO HARNESS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y SERVO HARNESS

Can this EMS Y-harness work with my Futaba S3004 servos for my dual ailerons?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTSK2&P=7
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Y SERVO HARNESS

Yes Sir it'll work.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Thank you cruzomatic. Wanted to be sure as I have never seen a Y-harness like that before. First I've seen one with that kind of base in the center of it.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 PM

It looks like they use a cheap crimp on splice, I bet the spliced wires are not soldered. maybe why they cost less.
I would worry about that if it was on my plane.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Missileman

It looks like they use a cheap crimp on splice, I bet the spliced wires are not soldered. maybe why they cost less.
God, thank you for letting me know that. I will pay the $5 higher price and get a Futaba Y-harness. Not going to waste my plane over a $5 difference.

Problem with Futaba is all I can find is this 21" http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL307&P=ML and that would be way too long as the servo wires are already coming out the center of the wing and I only need a short Y-harness to connect them. Shame Futaba don't have a 5" like the one from EMS.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The EMS Y-harnesses are very good. That lump in the middle is an over-mold. In other words, they mold plastic over the soldered splice. Other manufacturers often use heat shrink for that area. Either way is just fine.

EMS makes and sells quite a bit of stuff. Take a look http://www.emsjomar.com/
Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Hold on. It will work if the servos are set mirror image to each other. If they are set up so that both sides look the same, it won't. With a Y, when one servo turns clockwise, the other will also. If you don't set the linkage up as a mirro image, then both ailerons will go up, or down at the same time. One servo drives off it's left side and the other drives off it'sright.

Unless you are using a reversing Y

Don

Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM

Most dual ailerons are set up with the arm on opposite sides of each servo (one pushing, one pulling) and the Y is what is needed. a reversing Y comes in handy when doing things like dual elevator servos where one servo needs to be reversed s that they move the same direction.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

The EMS Y-harnesses are very good. That lump in the middle is an over-mold. In other words, they mold plastic over the soldered splice. Other manufacturers often use heat shrink for that area. Either way is just fine.

EMS makes and sells quite a bit of stuff. Take a look http://www.emsjomar.com/
UGG, two different opinions. My wing is already covered so there is no way I can tuck in 21" of wire from the Futaba Y-harness but I don't want to lose my plane due to me using a brand unknown to me.

Any other advice either way. My choice depends on:
A) How many like EMS products saying they are good to use
B) How many dislike EMS and suggest I use Futaba. But how to tuck all those wires inside the wing???????

Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 PM

If you really want to use the Futaba Y, you can always bundle it up and secure it with tape or a zip tie. I've also shortened them by cutting out sections of wire and soldering them back together; just be sure to insulate and protect the solder joints with heat shrink tubing. Either the EMS or Futaba will work fine.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 AM

Have bought EMS Y harness before to get the ends for other things. The block in the center is a piece of printed circut board with the wires soldered to it and then encased in plastic. Have cut then apart before to get the ends.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Servos don't come that way. They will mostly all turn either clockwise or counterclockwise for left/right movement if hooked up to the same servo port on the RX. It makes no difference. It's up to the person doing the setup to be at least 10% smarter than the servo and set the linkage up according to their needs.

For ailerons, for instance, the servos turn the same direction, but the servo arms, both servo arms, will both point either towards the fuselage or away from the fuselage. That way, the opposite movement is setup. One arm moves forward while the other moves backwards with the same clockwise or counterclockwise movement of both servos. This is if you get two servos that exactly match each other in part numbers.

For instance (example only.. if you don't like Airtronics, get Futaba or JR or whatever.. they will all behave the same way), Airtronics Airtronics 94102Z Standard Heavy Duty Servo.. if you get two, they will both turn the same way if connected to the same receiver port (via a NON-REVERSING Y harness). If you specifically want them to move in the opposite directions, as in those used for split elevators, then you will need the REVERSING Y Harness.

CGr
Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems that you are saying that a crimp is less desireable than a splice; if so this is not true. Many tests by the aerospace industry and NASA has shown that a proper crimp is much more reliable than a solder joint. As one who has spent many years in those area, I found it to be very truegood crimps beat solder every time.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Tower has a Venom Y-harness that works with Futaba. Its less than the Futaba brand too.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Rodney

It seems that you are saying that a crimp is less desireable than a splice; if so this is not true. Many tests by the aerospace industry and NASA has shown that a proper crimp is much more reliable than a solder joint. As one who has spent many years in those area, I found it to be very truegood crimps beat solder every time.
When I said crimped I was reffering to the kind of connector you add on to the tail light wiring on your car for trailer lights. Those types of crimps fail very easily.
To each there own. It is my opinion and I stick by it.
To be fair I made that statement based on the appearance alone, I have never used one nor will I.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Either of these Futaba parts will work and they are short:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH451&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA48&P=0
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Same as the computer industry. Wires get soldered to the boards, but are crimped at the other end. One issue with soldered wire connections is the the solder wicks up the wire and turns a very flexable multi strand into a single wire. This transision from a hard wire to a felxable one is a failure point as viberation will eventially cause the wire to break there. A crimp is a two piece connection. It hard connects the inner wire, but also locks onto the covering to provide strain relief. I'll take a propper crimp any time over solder.

Don