Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Oops, I did it again... >

Oops, I did it again...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Oops, I did it again...

Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oops, I did it again...

Just a suggestion as you move it up a notch, go get some altitude to match. Plan each maneuver out, one at a time. You tend to lose it more frequently when you roll right from one to the other. I just practice flying into and out of the box for each maneuver that I try. Sometimes, I will deliberately only do one or two different maneuvers in a flight, just to work the execution of them. I have spent years at it and haven't gotten as good as I want, but so far, I can recover from any of them..
Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bingo - MORE ALTITUDE!!! Then try flying the "squares and 8's" inverted. Leave plenty of room for error though.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gaRCfield,

Sounds like you learned a big lesson here. I’d talk to your buddy and see if he wants you to replace the airframe, or there is a similar airframe he would like. Even if it costs more money, just spend it and consider it tuition from Murphy’s School of Hard Knocks. I’d also buy him a case of his favorite beer for the time/effort he’ll have to put into assembling up a new plane unless you feel confident in assembling the plane so it’ll fly straight and true.

Other than a maiden/trim flight for a student and flight training, I generally refrain from flying somebody else’s plane with a couple of exceptions – and these are guys I know well, they know how I fly a plane, and they have a lot of trust in my abilities. I also know that if I do crash it, I’ll get another one, replace whatever was damaged with new equipment, assemble it for them, and perform a maiden/trim flight so they get a plane back ready to fly. When I do fly a friend’s plane, I don’t do aerobatics, high speed passes, etc. too low to the ground (well except for Vic’s Twist 60, but I just can’t help the inverted harriers and 3D a couple of feet off the ground…… ).

Hogflyer
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: n19htmare

I'll try to put this as nicely as I can. I said this in the other thread too. You really need to slow yourself down, you're moving way ahead of your self and your capabilities. Majority of the crashes happen when people get cocky and too comfortable with their ability to do certain things.
This advice is right on the money. Take it easy and concentrate on the basics. Yes it may get monotenous but it will pay off.

Another thing I forgot to mention... Has the receiver now been through two serious crashes? If so, send it in and get it checked out. Otherwise you may just end up with a third crashed plane.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Yup, replace the plane...

I had one guy hand me his TX after he had fired up his new plane.

He wanted me to maiden it for him.

I ASKED him if he had set everything as per the directions, and I looked it over quickly before taking off. I checked the surfaces and everything looked ok, and the engine fired up and ran correctly.

Needless to say the plane went in crushing the airframe.

On the spot (and after I insisted repeatedly over and over) I gave him a brand new plane that I had flown TWICE, of a similiar size. It was fully decked out, anti-vibration mounts, etc. I even dumped my configuration to his TX so it was in trim, etc.

I told him to keep his smashed up plane and use it's components to put together a new one too.

Why?

Because I was dumb enough to take his word and assume that he had done everything correctly.
Had I been more cautious I would have caught his mistakes. I felt bad for him.

Needless to say he was touched by how I handled this and remains a good friend.

I ended up one plane poorer, but with no regrets about how I dealt with someone else.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Yeah,you have no choice but to.....have a gift certificate to the local hobby shop for at LEAST what the plane was worth the next time you see him,and if you dont have local hobby shop a tower hobbies gift certificate will do. Dont go buy him a plane that he "might" like or try to give him a used one. And dont ask him what you should do,as it puts pressure on him which he shouldnt need to deal with.

Things might be different if you hadnt flown it in the manor you did,which was on the brink of disrespectful(even though you might not realize it). The only time I would EVER fly someone else's plane would be for training purposes or to see how the plane flew(and I would only do that after HE took it up to altitude,then I would give it back to him before coming down). And I would also be ready to replace something if the worst case scenerio DID happen regardless of the reason. AND I would not even think about trying any crazy stuff with it,no matter how many times I did it before.

On the other hand,anytime your ballzy enough to let someone else besides an instructor or VERY experienced pilot fly one of your planes,you should be ready to sacrifice your plane(pending they fly it sensibly). If they do get crazy and crash it,then you not only learn a hard lesson......it creates an awwwkward situation thats hard to resolve. But you must think positive and turn it all into a learning lesson for both sides and hopefully you can resolve it......learning the hard way SUCKS!![sm=tired.gif]....and can be costly.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 PM
My Feedback: (8)

So he said not to worry about it. I offered to buy him a new Avistar, and he said he didn't really want one. I offered to buy the new Super Tigre 51 he's been talking about, but he said he really has enough engines. He has been talking a lot about the new Great Planes Cherokee. He already has the H9 Cherokee though, so don't know if that's the best thing either. He likes scale, and likes flaps and retracts.

Maybe a gift certificate to Tower is the way to go.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
Maybe a gift certificate to Tower is the way to go.

That sounds like the perfect thing to do!!

Curt
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 AM

Agreed.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 AM
My Feedback: (8)

You know, when someone suggested spending more than the $99 cost of the plane (plus shipping) it sounded pretty unrealistic. As the days go on I'm realizing that this is actually what my heart is telling me to do. If I'm not going to hand him an assembled Avistar, I need/want to make up for the cost of the plane, his generosity, and the build time. The plane was 10 years old, and is $99 new. A $150 gift certificate to Tower is what my heart is telling me is right.

Thanks again for the advice guys.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:01 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think thats a good idea. If hes not getting an assembled plane ready to use a lil extra cash isnt a bad idea.