Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Flight time after break in? >

Flight time after break in?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flight time after break in?

Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight time after break in?

Im running a Saito 91 on an 11 ounce tank. Im only getting about 7 minutes of flight time. The engine only has about 15 flights on it. How much more time can I expect to get once the engine is fully broken in? How many flights/ gallons does it take to break a saito in?
Old 06-07-2008, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Flight time after break in?

I'd say it is broke in....the things that determine flight time are mixture (how rich you running your new engine?) size of the tank (11 oz seems kind of small) and throttle management ( do you always fly with lots of power on?)
Old 06-07-2008, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several factors determine flight time on a tank of fuel. One obvious one is the size of the tank. Another one that is less obvious to some flyers is throttle management. If you fly with your hair on fire, throttle wide open, then expect short tank duration. If you are more cautious and reasonably easy on the throttle, then it will last longer.

I have an OS .75 AX that I've run for 10 minute timed flights. So far, I've used about half of a tank per flight. And that's on a Skylark 70, which is a good sized plane for that engine.

So, it's difficult to just say 'you will have x minutes per tank' when it's difficult to determine your flying style. There is nothing wrong with 'hair on fire' flights, it's just you will not have good fuel economy flying that way. If you like going fast, then that's the price of it. If you fly more 'reasonably', then your tanks will last longer.

CGr.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 AM

A Saito 91 is on the thirsty side as 4 strokes go. Not as thirsty as maybe an 82A (that thing drank fuel like beer! )

I would say you're pretty much ran in so I suggest you get tuning that engine for power and economy.

Put a tach on it, hit max RPM's and dial it down around 3-400 rpm and if (as it sounds) you're on the rich side now, you should notice an improvement where flight time is concerned.