Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio interference

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio interference

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio interference

I went to a fun fly yesterday and what happened wasn't alot of fun and potentially very dangerous.
There was a pretty good crowd and alot of younger children in the spectator area.
I watched a number of other flyers and finally decided it was my turn, I went to the radio impound and got my tag for channel 11 and my radio. I was flying my Kadet Senior because of its easy handling I knew there would be no embarrasing mistakes
The flight went flawlessly and I came in to land, just as my mains started to touch grass my throttle went to full, but only for a second. I thought "what the heck was that?". I turned to taxi and the throttle went to full again and I had no control of any of the flight surfaces, It was heading toward the spectators and nothing I could do about it. (there is a 4' chain link fence but at full throttle there was a chance the plane could lift off and over) Luckily the plane turned sharply and flipped over killing the engine.
There was no damage to the plane, that I could tell, and after returning to the pitts I did a radio check and could find nothing wrong.
My thought was that someone turned on a transmitter but I was the only flier on that channel (registered anyway)
I was later informed by a couple of people that fly at that field regularly that channel 11 is known to get hits from a nearby police radio tower.
WHY did the club not post this or mark the frequency board if they knew it was a problem? This could have ended very badly.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:22 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Radio interference

i agree, any known problems should have been taken care of. if that channel is known to be a problem, then i think it should be banned from that field. that way there is a less of a chance of something happening. how would they feel if they know and do nothing about it, and then somebody gets really hurt. and how deep are there pockets, i can see them getting sued. god forbid, if and when it happens
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And here is one that kept happening to my trainer while I was teaching my oldest student.
All would go well until the third flight, sometimes the fourth but mostly the third for some reason?? The servo on my elevator would go nuts and the plane would start doing A loop on it's own? At first I didn't notice it was just Ch.2. I was on A dry lake bed and knew there was no one in the flight area on my Ch. I even drove around the lake bed looking for someone maybe flying A foamie or heli and not knowing there is A flying site out there.
Then it hit me it was only Ch. 2 so I checked the servo, had A bad wire so I fixed it. Next time out it did the same thing so I replaced the servo, again the same thing? Then I replaced the RX and got the same thing??
I pulled out A servo from my other plane and installed it, problem cured???
What are the odds of getting two bad servos??
And A big YES, if A club knows there is ARF problem of any kind then they should i9nform everyone. At one of my clubs we used A Frequency checker when no one was out there, we had two channels that kept showing up as being used. Problem was it didn't happen all the time. Never did figure that one out. I'm still not A real big fan of 2.4 but RF problems are A big plus in it's favor.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Saw a 30 year veteran put his 20yr old pylon racer into the tall grass because of a hit. This happened yesterday, and is a little unnerving since I am still trying to learn. I am probably gonna get me a 2.4 soon, I tend to worry about anything and everything that can go wrong outside of my control.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
nobodytwo

ORIGINAL: brett65

I tend to worry about anything and everything that can go wrong outside of my control.
The mark of a smart flyer!

Happy Landings!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Missileman

WHY did the club not post this or mark the frequency board if they knew it was a problem? This could have ended very badly.
You need to ask the club that very question.

If it is true, then they aren't very nice people. They're basically risking everyone else's models etc etc etc

I'm not just trying to sound superior or pompous. You really do need to ask the club that very question.