Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Crosswind takeoffs and landings >

Crosswind takeoffs and landings

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Crosswind takeoffs and landings

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crosswind takeoffs and landings

ORIGINAL: bingo field

I felt it was mainly about how you respond to gusts. If you have a constant crosswind, your described technique is the way to go. I thought the original post was more about " holy crap! look what the wind did, and I managed to save it!" . I have had occasions where the gusts will surprise me on take off and landings, and have secured the "holy crap" moment. My AstroHog got hit with a gust the other day that tipped the wing, and I suffered my first prop strike in years. Didn't break it, just stopped it. It happens, you always try to deal with it the best you can. The more you fly, the better prepared you are, you get used to the way a specific model behaves, and fly it accordingly.

[8D]

While I was seeking advice on both situations, and appreciate all advice given here; you are correct in your assumption. I have a steady crosswind takeoff and landing down, not perfect, but good enough and the technique is there, it just needs refining. This particular takeoff prompted me to ask about it, had that engine dead sticked on me in the vertical I would have lost the plane as sure as I am typing this, so I was hoping for some veteran advice on how to get her level sooner. As it was, in a slow climb vertical, it was all engine keeping that plane in the sky. This scared me a bit, as while she runs fairly reliably I have had a dead stick or two out of her..
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crosswind takeoffs and landings

Loop up wind and roll down wind. That's why it's funkie somtimes to do those 1/2 or 3/4 loop turn around maneuvers down wind

Or maybe practice doing a humty dump, this way you'll see the model's profile can get use to seeing it track straight on a vertical.
Then instead of rolling the model 1/2 roll, do 1/4 roll to set yourself up for a stall trun or hover. This way the model will be at the center
of the field instead at the end of the box.