Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Airstike

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Airstike

Old 05-15-2003, 01:17 AM
planemaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airstike

I bought a megatech airstike. I had some problems getting it to stay off the ground. They(at megatech) said it was because the battery needed to be cycled? Has anyone heard of this. I think I waisted my money!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 08:52 AM
tempus

Default Airstike

What is the exact problem you are experiencing? And which battery did they suggets needed cycling?
Old 05-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Airstike

if the planes electric and new, it may be you need to charge and flatten your battery a few times before it gives its best, this is cycling. however, if it cant even fly with the battery in a new unused state then its serverly underpowered.
you may also be pulling in too much up trying to climb, but just stalling the plane, most electrics are happiest to gain full flying speed before you try anything, i had a friend who said his Zagi would not fly, i flew it for a whole flight, the problem was he pulled up as soon as the plane was launched, it would stall in, or fly level untill he ran out of room at best
Old 05-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Montague

Default Airstike

It's exactly like these guys say. I flew my GWS A-10 for the first time on Tuesday. One of the packs was right out of the wrapper, on the fast charger, and in to the plane. I had a heck of a time staying off of the ground, espeically in the wind. The second flight was a bit better, I expect the 3rd will be better still. I think I read somewhere that Nicads hit peak on the 4th cycle.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Cactus.

Default Airstike

4th is about right, if you've not flown for a while you'll also find the second charge is better than the first, with my Wattage 1100 hydride pack it likes to be flown still warm from the charger, ni-cads also give a bit more in this warm state.
one thing that may make a differnece, packs give in the same manner as they were charged. if you slow charge a pack you'll get a long run time, but at a lower power level, if you fast charge, you get more punch, but less duration. i know it shouldn't be, its a battery, it has charge, how can that be? but i know first hand from racing its true, if i had to quickly race and wacked the charger upto 6.5A i'd get a hell of a kick for the first few laps. it might just be because of the extra heat generated.
what can you tell us about your battery? and whats a Airstrike? apart from a accident
Old 05-15-2003, 08:18 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airstike

Unfortunately though, Megatech is know to produce Megacrap. Virtually everything they sell is marginally powered at best, and there's a LOT of stuff out there that will fly 100% better. Just don't base your thoughts on RC flying on the stuff they make.

(Try http://www.ezonemag.com/ for good electric info.)
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Woodsy

Default Airstike

I tend to agree with DB, not only on this brand but on a lot of the park fly type toys, if you want to stick with electric have a look at e-zone and buy something like a picco stick.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:02 AM
Cactus.

Default Airstike

nah, not enough power for learners and most wind conditions. get a Multiplex Twin Star
Old 05-16-2003, 03:28 PM
glowplug

Default Airstike

I'm sorry to tell you this, but yes, you did waste your money...but I did too......when I first started flying a couple of years ago I got the Megajunk Airstrike to fly at the local soccer field when I couldn't fly my glow plane. I never could get that thing to fly.....and I cycled the packs exactly per the instructions.....I even took it to an experienced pilot and had him give it a shot......same thing.....it was just completely underpowered and overweight. The best advice that I can give you is to get a good glow trainer....or, if you want to go the park flyer way, do some research on this site and you'll find a quality park flyer.

Mike