Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Epoxy Wing Strengthening Fiber

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Epoxy Wing Strengthening Fiber

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Shortymet55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Wing Strengthening Fiber

Im at the step of my Tiger 60 to epoxy that fibery strip along where the wing-halves join. How do I do this? Do I glue under then press the strip on top. Do, I glue under, press, glue on top, or just glue on top? Also, how far to the side should I glue. Right to the edge? inch out?

finally, is 5 min epoxy good for this job? Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Epoxy Wing Strengthening Fiber

Shorty,
I don't have the instructions for that plane so I don't recall the size of the strip, but here's what you should do to apply the fiberglass. You can do it with epoxy, but you don't want to use 5 minute epoxy because you won't have enough work time to get the work done. The way I apply the fiberglass is to apply a very thin coat of epoxy on the wood where the fiberglass will be applied. Then apply the fiberglass to the epoxy and then brush epoxy on top of the fiberglass. You want to try to avoid getting too much epoxy as this just adds extra weight, but you want enough epoxy to complete wet the weave of the fiberglass. When the weave is wet I use a old credit card to squeegee the excess epoxy off of the fiberglass. Once that's done let it set up and dry. You will want to have some disposable gloves (get them in the painting department at Lowe's or Wal-mart) to avoid getting epoxy on your hands.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

shorty, I just got done doing mine about 2 weeks ago, the fiber if I remember right is 2 1/2 inches wide. I put a thin layer of epoxy down then the fiber then brushed on some epoxy, then used a card to pull the extra like RCKen said. I went about an inch to inch and a half off the fiber then went back the next day and sanded it down smooth. I have my wing done and have the bottom side covered. still have to put the pushrods and servos in the fuse and cover it.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 PM
goirish

I use the fiberglass resin that is used by the auto people. Put it on with the same method as the epoxy. You can buy a quart for the same price as 6oz of epoxy.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

I use the same as goirish. Its a lot cheaper that way and it works the same.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, me too, I get A quart at my local hardware store plus an extra tube of hardner.
Another good stuff to use is finishing epoxy, you have all day to work with the stuff but it's set up hard by the next morning.
I try to get my epoxy work to be that last thing I do for the day so everything is all set up the next morning. Nothing like sitting around waiting for the epoxy to dry!!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Another way to do it...

lightly mist the cloth with 3M77 spray adhesive and apply the cloth to the center section of the wing. Then put on a latex glove and use the glove or a credit card to squeegie out medium CA glue. It takes less glue than you would expect to saturate the fibers and it is completely sandable within seconds after it "kicks".
After sanding, I use light weight spackle to feather the edges.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have a spare credit card, the auto parts stores sell body putty spreaders very cheaply in 3 packs for a $1 or so.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Just curious, most ARF's say to epoxy the wings together at the last wing spar. It also uses a layered piece of ply that goes from the 2nd wing spar to the other, but they don't supply you with the fiberglass cloth or even mention it. Is the ARF method strong enough, or should I have removed the covering and used the fiberglass cloth on it? So far it seems strong???
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM
werner_molder

here some pics about how I made that....hope it can help.

drying...

Old 07-18-2008, 07:13 AM
werner_molder

ok