Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner: Need help!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner: Need help!

Old 05-15-2003, 08:57 AM
Kingdom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner: Need help!

Hi guys! I'm totally new to r/c planes. I've read a bit on the subject but there are many things I'm still not familiar with. I hope someone can really assist me.

Since I know nuts about r/c planes, how should I go about the hobby?

I want to purchase a r/c plane (trainer, high wing), and I would prefer it to be in kit form, cause I'm interested in building the plane and learning the ropes. Is that advisable? Which models would you recommend?

Alternatively, if you are suggesting a RTF or ARF, which models would you recommend? (I'm not really keen in RTF or ARF though)

I understand that some kits do not include the radio and engine. What kinds of radios and engines should I get? I was thinking of Futaba or Quattro, 4 channel with similar servos. Would that be sufficient? Or does that sound ambitious? I hope to buy a reasonably priced radio that can stay with me for years to come.

I've read up on the types of r/c planes but I'm still confused over the ways r/c planes fly. What do you mean by fuel or electric planes? Which is more advisable for a trainer?

Costs wise, I would prefer something conservative, nothing too extravagant.

I hope some kind soul can assist me.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:29 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

OK. This is what I recommend solely because it's what I did and I'm very happy with the results. It's one of my favorite planes in the hanger.

Plane (kit)
Tower Trainer 40

Plane (ARF)
Hobbico Avistar - if you want to get in the air quick, the instructors in my club highly recommend this plane. I don't have one, myself.

Radio
Futaba 6xAS - The six channel is more than the trainer needs but trust me. I bought my trainer with a standard four channel and it was sold shortly after I started collecting more planes. The 6xAS is a very capable computer radio with 6 model memory.

Engine
Magnum XLS-46A - The OS FX46 is a good engine also. I have both and the Magnum way outperforms the OS. Make sure you don't get the old Magnum XL-46A. It's also a good engine but no where near the performance of the new XLS-46A.

Being new to the hobby when I bought my Tower Trainer and wanting to do it right, it took me a solid seven weeks to assemble. That was when I was unemployed so it probably would have taken longer if I had a job.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Kingdom

Thanks rcaeroguy! That sounds very good, but will the kit include instructions on how to do up the engine, receivers, servos and such? I certainly won't know what goes to where and how to make the necessary connections.

Also, for the futaba 6XAS 6-channel system you recommended, does it include servos? Otherwise, how do I go about selecting the servos?

And I also need advice on how to purchase the receiver.

I'm sorry if my questions sound stupid, but I really haven't the slightest idea! :stupid:
Old 05-15-2003, 12:59 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The kit will tell you how to install the engine, and basic radio setup.

The radio will be complete with Transmitter (control box), Receiver, Servos, Batteries, Switch, Charger etc.

Whatever they don't tell you in the instructions, you can find out here at RCU.

It's what we do best
Old 05-15-2003, 02:21 PM
RCaeroguy

exactly
Old 05-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Kingdom

Fabulous! You guys have given me that needed bit of extra confidence to start on this hobby!

In the event if the receiver and servos are damaged, I can always obtain replacements from my hobby shop right?

I also need advice on whether should I make my purchases from my hobby shop (which I haven't been before), or do you think I should buy them online?

Perhaps you can make me some website recommendations where I can purchase them at reasonable prices.

I really, really appreciate all the help rendered. :rainfro:
Old 05-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Dougboiler91
My Feedback: (23)

Check out your LHS. When I was learning, this is where I picked up information. In fact, my questions were very much the same as yours. Been at it 15 years now, and still going strong. Also, make sure you have an instructor. This is critical, or you'll end up with a lawn dart! GRIN The Futaba 6xas is a great radio for the money. I have one myself. The trainer plane I learned on was a Midwest Aerostar. A very nice airplane to learn on. I built mine, as ARF's were garbage back then! Took me forever it seemed like, but was worth it. The Arf's today are much different than what was available 15 years ago. There's several good ones to choose from. Make sure it has a repaiable covering Like Monokote, or Ultracote, not the other cheap stuff. In my opinion this is critical, because you will bang up your trainer some. Good luck!

Doug
Old 05-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If at all possible, find your local club(s) and visit them. Their on the spot advice and demos will be far better than any advice we can give you on a forum such as this. It is very likely that they will also have a trainer with a buddy box available to let you try flying before you invest.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:08 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely, do NOT attempt to go it alone! It's the best possible way to get discouraged and quit

Go to the AMA web site. They're a national organization that provides liability insurance for our hobby. They will also have a list of clubs in your area. (Virtually every club requires AMA membership.)

AMA's site: http://modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/

I would also suggest getting in touch with the club before you buy. They will likely have instructors, and instruction is almost always free. (If it isn't, find another club.) They will probably have preferences as far as the equipment used to get started. ANd if you buy what they know, you'll have an easier time.

For the trainer, engine, radio, fuel, starter, glow igniter, props and other assorted misc. goodies, try your local hobby shop. If they don't have what you need, there's always Tower Hobbies online.

Tower: http://www.towerhobbies.com/
Check out: "Browse by Category".

One other thing. All of this information has been posted dozens of times. So use this site's "Search" function and look for "Trainers", or "First plane", stuff like that. You'll find enough info to keep you busy for a few days.

Then try the "FAQ's" page. Another few days.

Most of all, Welcome! This is a great hobby/sport, filled with terrific people, almost all of who will go out of their way to help the new guy. Just ask us.

Dennis-

Oh yeah, one more thing. You can expect to spend somewhere between $350 and $500 to get started "properly". BUT! sometimes, club members have old trainers they're willing to sell reasonably. They may not look the best, but they can save a few dollars.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Woodsy

Find a club and have a talk to the mombers, quite often there's good second hand geat for sale from within the club.

For a plane personaly i recomed a SPAD, either the Debonair, SPADet, or BUHOR, there available as FREE plans or in ARF, they fly great and are probably the cheapest and most durable planes around.
Have a look at www.spadtothebone and the SPAD forum here and at http://spadworld.net

for an engine i like the TT46 or the GMS47 both of these are great engines and they are not over priced like some others out there with the TT being the pick of the bunch for value.

IMHO the Hitec Flash5 (computer) and the Laser 6 (not computer) have to be the best value radios on the market and will do 90% of any thing you will ever need.

you WILL get 1001 opinions and can literaly spend more $$$ than you could imagine but heres about the cheapest way

laser 4 $127 from servo city
Scratch built SPAD BUHOR $20ish
TT42 $50 from tower hobbies
Old 05-16-2003, 03:58 AM
Kingdom

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think I can relate to AMA as I'm not living in America.

In my country, they only have 1 hobby shop that is relatively well stocked.

Will someone pls explain to me what it means by glow fuel, electric and gas? The planes that are recommended to me, which category do they fall under? What are the pros and cons of each category i.e. fuel, electric and gas?

Can I have the link for servo city pls?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Woodsy

GAS is basicaly a petrol motor like in a chain saw or lawn mower, unless you have mega $$$ way to expencive for a trainer.

Electric is just that. an electric plane that runs on batteries, lots of options for an electric depending on how many $$ you want to spend every thing frome slow park fliers to full aerobatic and scale monsters again depends on the $$$

glow is an engine that runs on a fuel blended from methanol and oil, probably the most common and and widest range.

for a trainer most people start with a .46 size glow engine and a trainer plane to suit.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Kingdom

Thanks Woodsy But why don't I just start off with electric then since it uses batteries? I wouldn't have to worry about fuel then, isn't it?

Am I also correct to say that electric has its own type of engine and that goes the same for fuel?

By the way, I haven't been able to find the Laser 6 that you recommended... any links?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Ghostbear

Default Choices

Kingdom,

I only started a year ago. Let me say with absolute certainty that there is no absolutely right answer.

Get thou to a hobby shop! Leave thine credit card at home!

Ask questions! Talk to the guy who is browsing engines, talk to the shop owner, talk to the lady who is walking out the door.

Touch the airplanes! Figure out which one looks most interesting to you.

Then come back here and ask questions. Many questions.

Then go back to the hobby shop. See if there is a local club. Go to the club and look lost. Someone will almost certainly help.

My point is do some research, then do some more, before you buy anything.

There are an astounding number of alternatives and if you start down the wrong path (like electric then decide you like glow better) you can waste a lot of money.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:38 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

I'll chime in since I was in your shoes very recently. I read different posts on the RCUniv web site about trainers, and picked the SIG Kadet LT 40 for my first plane. I ordered the kit version of it with a radio and engine from Tower Hobbies (online at www.towerhobbies.com).

It will definitely cost MORE if you buy the kit. The difference in price between the kit and the ARF is only $40 US. The tools required will cost more than that. (Don't tell my wife). But I enjoy building models (my "main" hobby is model trains). That's why I bought a kit.

It took me roughly 3 weeks to build the kit. I thought it would longer than this since it was my first wood kit, but cyanoacrylate glue makes things go fast. I wasn't aware that CA was used for gluing wood. Covering it was my least favorite part of the job, mainly because it was something I'd never done before. There are a few wrinkles here and there, but you'll never see them when it's in the air.

The plane has 6 flights on it so far. My instructor was surprised with how little trim it required. Beginners luck I guess.

Kerry
Old 05-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Kingdom

Thanks ghostbear and kerrydel.

Kerrydel, I thought if I purchase a kit it should include everything I need? (of course with the exception of radio, engine, receiver, servos etc) What else would I need that might not be included in the kit? Are the bulding tools expensive?

Usually the ARF comes with 4-channel radio, and I was of the opinion that that was sufficient, but it was recommended that I should get a 6-channel instead. Hmm.. I can't decide between the 2...
Old 05-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Ghostbear

Default Kits

I've been building a 4*60 (second plane) since October. Its been on hold for several months due to an impending move.

Anyway, tools add up quick. Glue, sanding blocks, balsa knife, sandpaper, clamps, covering iron, heat gun, workarea/building board.

Of course that's not a remotely complete list, and it assumes you're NOT going to get a dremel, a power planer, and you have a lot of stuff hanging around like drill bits, handsaws, etc.

I wouldn't look at a kit to save you money if you're inexperienced at modelling, no no no no no no.

Of course, I LOVE buying tools, so I have had almost as much fun buying tools as building the plane.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Kingdom

Ok ghostbear, I've got the drift.

I was surfing around earlier atwww.towerhobbies.com and I found a Futaba 6YG 6-channel FM w/ 4 S3004 servos at $149.99. How is that compared to Futaba 4VF skysport w/ 4 servos at also $149.99?
The 6-channel radio seems to be of better value. Any thoughts on that?
Its almost 4 am and I really have to get some sleep. I just can't keep my eyes off the planes... If only $$$ wasn't an issue, then I can buy what I want!