Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Alpha 40 DSM2 RTF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Alpha 40 DSM2 RTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:02 AM
HampdenTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 40 DSM2 RTF

Does anyone have any information on the DX5e TX and the AR500 RX in the new Alpha 40 DSM2 trainer? [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4400](Alpha 40 DSm2)[/link]

I have a DX6i that I'd like to use. Does the DX5e have any resale value, say on E-Bay? Also, can the AR500 be bound to the DX6i? I will ask the same questions on the Spektrum site but I thought I'd post here also.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 AM
dragnbye

Default RE: Alpha 40 DSM2 RTF

it should blind ok. but resale not a big market for 5 ch radio all though the basic 4ch jr radio sell for around 25-35 dollars so with the the 2.4 you may get some money if you jump on it right away
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
beachyboy429

might as well just buy the ARF and keep ur DX6i and just add a rx and servos. Thats what im gonna do.... first i have to get the DX6i. haha
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
SJNason

I would suggest keeping the 5 channel come with radio and use it as your buddy box.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM
HampdenTech

ORIGINAL: SJNason

I would suggest keeping the 5 channel come with radio and use it as your buddy box.
That's a very good suggestion! It seems like the DX5i will not have much value on it's own and I will need a Buddy Box.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I was gonna get this as my trainer, but I don't think it is even out yet. I first heard late May, but China is concentrating on the Olympics and taking their sweet time with everything else.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 PM
mclina

ORIGINAL: brett65

I was gonna get this as my trainer, but I don't think it is even out yet. I first heard late May, but China is concentrating on the Olympics and taking their sweet time with everything else.
The Horizon site now says late August. I hope nobody sat out the whole summer waiting for one of these. The Alpha 40 is a great trainer, and adding 2.4GHz to it is going to be revolutionary (I think), but when will we ever see one at the field?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:14 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: mclina

ORIGINAL: brett65

The Horizon site now says late August. I hope nobody sat out the whole summer waiting for one of these. The Alpha 40 is a great trainer, and adding 2.4GHz to it is going to be revolutionary (I think), but when will we ever see one at the field?
I went with a skyraider and 2.4 Futaba set up. I think the skyraider is a nicer plane too, it doesn't have a flat bottom wing.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
BASSMANGOLF

Hey Brett what's up? What part of OKC you in. I think I talked to you the other day I am an Okie living in KC now lived in the Moore area for about 12 years. My house was one that got smashed when the big Tornado came thru glad I wan not there then. my buddy sent me pics and the only thing left was a water pipe in the head. Going to be 100 here tommorrow so it will remind me of OKC. LOL Later Mike[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
HampdenTech

Well I took the plunge. I put this on backorder. After an inquiry at Horizon Hobby, they were fairly certain that the due date was accurate (of course, what else are they going to say). I'm hoping to get some flying time in late September and October and November if the weather holds out (and my new club still has a flying site[sm=50_50.gif]).
Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 PM
BASSMANGOLF

Cool enjoy I am heading home to get some flight time tonight. LOL The wife doesnt know yet but what else is new LOL Good luck
Mike
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

You won't be using the DX5 radio as a buddy box to the DX6i. For some inexplicable reason, the DX6i can only be buddy boxed with another JR/Spektrum computer radio and the master and slave have to be programmed identically in order to work correctly together.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:05 AM
HampdenTech

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

You won't be using the DX5 radio as a buddy box to the DX6i. For some inexplicable reason, the DX6i can only be buddy boxed with another JR/Spektrum computer radio and the master and slave have to be programmed identically in order to work correctly together.
Well that sucks![>:] I went to Spektrum's site but I didn't see anything on setting up the Trainer option with the DX6i. I'll have to look through the manual now. I was hoping to come up with a simple, low-cost trainer option. It seems like this should not be a big deal, especially with a fairly recent TX!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 AM
mydartswinger

I don't have an Alpha or a DX6, but I was able to buddy box with my DX7 as a master and an old JR sport 4 channel analog radio as a buddy box. I was unable to get it trimmed enough for hands off flight on the JR, but it was still manageable. The buddy box for a computer radio doesn't necesarily have to be another computer radio. I have attempted to use a Futaba as a buddy box, but for some reason the DX7 didn't like Futaba.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 AM
HampdenTech

ORIGINAL: mydartswinger

I don't have an Alpha or a DX6, but I was able to buddy box with my DX7 as a master and an old JR sport 4 channel analog radio as a buddy box. I was unable to get it trimmed enough for hands off flight on the JR, but it was still manageable. The buddy box for a computer radio doesn't necesarily have to be another computer radio. I have attempted to use a Futaba as a buddy box, but for some reason the DX7 didn't like Futaba.
I may try contacting Spektrum directly to get an answer. It seems like you should be able to do this, but in the instructions is says that the DX6i can be used as a master and a slave but the settings have to be the same on both transmitters. I'm wondering if that's just when two DX6i's are used.