Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RCU forums

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RCU forums

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCU forums

These forums are for RC related topics. Right Or Wrong?
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: RCU forums

How does this post/thread apply to the RCU Beginner's Forum??

Ken
Old 08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
gunfighterII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on which thread your on. Some yes, some no.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Now I know what you are referring to. The majority of the forums on RCU are for the discussion of RC related items. RCU is broken down into main areas such as RC Planes, RC Cars, and RC Boats, and there are many sub-forums under each of these areas. However, in each of these three areas we have provided an "Off Topic" forum where members may gather and discuss non-RC related topics. The rules of RCU call for each discussion thread to relate to the forum that it is posted in, however we discovered that there are times that the members of these forums want to discuss non-RC related items. Since non-RC related items cannot be discussed in the regular forums we have provided these Off Topic forums to facilitate this. This is no different than a group of buddies gathering at the flying field and discussing the weather or what was on the news the night before. As long as the RCU rules are followed members are free to discuss non-RC related items in these forums. RCU saw the need for these forums a long time ago and they have been very well received as they do get a lot of traffic. The Moderators of RCU keep a close watch on these forums to ensure that the rules of RCU are followed in these forums.

I hope that this addresses your concerns.

Ken
Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM
TedMo

Ok Ken, Perhaps I'm mistaken, but posts such as, what song are you listening to now, How old were you when you got your first cellphone. To me are not remotely related to anything.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

And that is what the Off Topic forum is all about. We do not allow any RC related discussions in our Off Topic forums and move any threads about RC to the appropriate forum. If you're not interested in the topics in that forum then you don't have to go there. Since there is no RC related discussions there you won't miss anything. Heck, who among us hasn't talked about something not related to RC while out at our field? I know I do it all the time. The Off Topic forums are for that very purpose. They don't hurt anybody, and our membership do want them.

Ken
Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 PM
gunfighterII

Tedmo,
Do you have a problem with someone asking you about the weather? or your granson?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 PM
plugin

I don't understand. Could someone enlighten me please?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM
gunfighterII

I don't think Ted likes small talk.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:40 PM
TedMo

What you have replied to me about off topic forum is totally understandable. Only thing is I don't know where that forum is. My comments applied to posts I saw on beginners forum. It is very possible I have some misunderstandings in regard to what constitutes a forum, a post, a thread. I appreciate the time you have taken on my behalf and hope to have a better understanding of RCU forums. I definitly have seen many of your replies to many regarding their problems Also have seen your and Minnieflyers web site which I commented on previously and will again, GREAT JOB. I spend time here on beginners forum often mainly to try to be of help to others as well as can learn things as well. Strange but sometimes I do get somewhat irritated by the lack of iniative that so many have to find things out by research. I retired from teaching and I always expected my students to expend some effort themselves. Thanks for your tolerance and assistance.
TedMo
Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RC users are the masters of small talk you can only do so much flying in a session without loosing your concentration,+ I don't mind if a beginner asks me a few questions at the field or here at RCU, but I am a chatty guy anyway LOL.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Perhaps he just doesn't want to know what Irish and I are having for breakfast.

CGr.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

TedMo,
Every moderator has a different place where they draw the "off topic" line. Some pull the trigger immediately at the first post that is off topic, while others will wait a bit and see if the discussion comes back to the topic. Here in the Beginner's forum we tend to be just a bit more lenient about pulling the trigger. You need to remember that many times people that are just getting started in this hobby feel VERY intimidated by EVERYTHING in this hobby, and if they come to this forum and see us clamping down like we're forum czars it tends to put them off and they will leave the forum. Because of this we try to have a lot lighter hand in this forum than other forums do. Trust me, I moderate a lot of different forums and each and every one of them is moderated differently based on the people in that forum. My take on this is that I look at the forums in the same manner as I do the flying field. Every field I have ever been do is exactly the same. Most of the conversation will be about RC planes, but the conversations often wander to the weather (which is actually still RC related in my mind), a good restaurant in town, what somebodies kids have done, and so on. But the conversations almost always return to RC after a bit. And this is what most of us Moderators will do here, I know that I do. When I conversation goes a bit off topic I will watch it and see if comes back on to topic soon. If not I will usually PM the more experienced members involved and ask them to return the thread to topic. Notice I said PM them, and not post in the thread to return to topic. I do this for the very reason I stated above, I don't want to put a bad taste in the mouth of a somebody just coming to RCU. Ask CGRetired, Bruce88123, and some of the other regulars here and they will tell you that all of them have received PM's from me asking them to get back on topic. This takes care of the problem and keeps a good public opinion in the minds of the beginners.

As for answering the questions that beginner's answer here. Yes, it's possible for us to tell them to go look it up. But we won't. Why? Picture this. Imagine you are just getting started in this hobby (real world of course) and go to the flying field to learn to fly. You get to the field all excited and you can't wait to fly. It's not hard to imagine because everybody here as been this way when they learn to fly. So now imagine that you are there with your instructor and you ask your instructor a question. He looks squarly at you and answers "Why should I waste my time answering that question, go look it up!!". Now imagine how you would feel if your instructor said that to you. You'd feel about as low as mud on a snake's belly wouldn't you? Same there here on RCU. While there may be a computer screen and a thousand miles of cable and fiber optic between you and that that new pilot, but the effect is exactly the same. When you tell them that they don't merit your answering their question it makes them feel like dirt. And this is exactly why we don't do that here. As a real world instructor I answer the same questions with every student that I take on. Every instructor out there that has had more than one student knows exactly what I mean here, because some questions are a constant and almost every student asks them. But a good instructor (and I like to think that I'm at least a decent one) will patiently answer those questions each and every time they are asked. If they can't do that then that person really doesn't have the temperament to be an instructor. And the same thing applies here as well. All of the regulars here in the Beginner's forum will tell you that they don't mind answer the same questions over and over and over and over again. They do for the same reason that most of us are instructors. Because new pilots are the future of this hobby and we without them this hobby would dry up and go away. Plus, I do it because I love seeing that look on their face as they learn to fly. Trust me, I relive that feeling of when I soloed each and every time one of my students solo.

Hope this helps clear it up.

Ken
Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I can personally vouch for Ken doing his moderator job and pulling irrelevant posts from a thread

As far as doing research, there is A LOT to know in this hobby. I have read up on a lot of things, and sometimes it's just better to ask the guys who have been doing this for years. For example, I asked about JB Weld (as you know) in place of soldering a joint. Reserch would tell me that JB Weld would be more than adequate; you can use it to repair engine blocks in cars running at 3000rpm for hours and hours - why wouldn't it work on a 4mm push rod? But there are reasons not to as I have learned. Now how long would it have taken me to do this research on my own without asking? The summer would be gone and I'd still have a pushrod that needed to be connected to a control surface, and $1000 of RC plane gear that I couldn't yet use.

RCUniverse and it's moderators are doing such a fantastic job; Again, this hobby is quite a first bite, and without everyone's help I would be so lost. Instead, I come on the forum, read and ask questions, and have been having more fun in this hobby than I have ever had before. In 3 months I have learned to assemble (not build, right CG?) an ARF, tune an engine, fly a plane, and even go as far as to compete in an AMA pattern flying event. Sure I could have done research, but I probably would still be assembling my first trainer and not yet have flown without this forum.

Ted, there are a lot of great guys here, just like you'd find at the field. We are all here to help and to learn and to enjoy this hobby together. Sometimes it is hard to judge someones intentions as we are only looking at words and not seeing facial expressions or hearing the joking tone of a voice. So if you're new here, WELCOME! Stick around and get to know the forum, it's a great place.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM
TedMo

gaRCfield:I certainly appreciate any and all replies to all my posts. In particular that which Ken has just expounded on. I am not that new here I have replied to many posts including yours at times. My original comments that started all this, which I don't think you saw. Was in respect to a few posts that had no relationship to RC. One was, how old were you when you got your first cell phone? the other was. what song are you listening to now. Those to me do not belong here but if Ken or any moderator is fine by that so be it. I know for sure this RCU site is without doubt a great place to get info. I know that even I, having been in RC for 55 yrs. have at times read something that has been helpful to me and I often have tried to be helpful to others. Only thing that I feel sorry about is I started 55 yrs too soon haaa. Enough said.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: TedMo

One was, how old were you when you got your first cell phone? the other was. what song are you listening to now.
Ted,
I know the threads you are referring to here. Neither one of them are posted here in the Beginner's Forum. Both of those threads are in the RC Car Off-Topic forum.

Ken
Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Anomie

It is very possible I have some misunderstandings in regard to what constitutes a forum, a post, a thread. I appreciate the time you have taken on my behalf and hope to have a better understanding of RCU forums. TedMo
Hi Ted,

Even though Ken (as usual) has provided an excellent explanation, please allow me to chime in here.

You know, it also took some time for me to become accustomed to the structure of the forums and sections on this site. Often I don't look at the full list because I moderate only a handful of forums out of the many that are here, and when I do it has become confusing because of the sheer number of sections. There have also been situations when I have attempted to move an off-topic post into the Off Topic forum in the Car section, and by mistake it ended up in the OT section of Planes or Helis. This required me asking a community moderator or admin to move the post to the appropriate forum for me.

I can completely understand your point in this thread, and am very glad you brought it up.

Thank you,
~R

Old 08-17-2008, 11:45 AM
plugin

One was, how old were you when you got your first cell phone? the other was. what song are you listening to now.

I think you're confused. Those threads are not here in the Beginners section, as Ken mentioned, they are in an Off-Topic section. Why would that possibly bug you?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM
gisi

This thread should probably be in the Off topic category..
Old 08-17-2008, 03:27 PM
cappaj1

gaRCfield:I certainly appreciate any and all replies to all my posts. In particular that which Ken has just expounded on. I am not that new here I have replied to many posts including yours at times. My original comments that started all this, which I don't think you saw. Was in respect to a few posts that had no relationship to RC. One was, how old were you when you got your first cell phone? the other was. what song are you listening to now. Those to me do not belong here but if Ken or any moderator is fine by that so be it. I know for sure this RCU site is without doubt a great place to get info. I know that even I, having been in RC for 55 yrs. have at times read something that has been helpful to me and I often have tried to be helpful to others. Only thing that I feel sorry about is I started 55 yrs too soon haaa. Enough said.
TedMo,

You say you appreciated any replies to your posts, so I hope you can appreciate this one. This is off subject itself, and said with a grin. But so is this whole thread, so what's the diff? Please don't take it too seriously. It's meant to be cute and to get you to lighten up a little bit

You say you retired from teaching. I hope you weren't an English teacher. With the above quoted post of yours, I noticed a few incomplete sentences, missing commas, missing capitalization, and other gobbly gook. You're representing the American teaching system, Bud! What are you using to type your messages with anyway, a cellphone?

Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL!!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM
2slow2matter

It is not only OK in the English language, but sometimes it is even appropriate for us to type/write as we would speak in an unformal setting such as these forums. Just because one doesn't use proper spelling or punctuation doesn't make them illiterate, it makes them (at most) a bad typist.
So enough of that. After 30 years (or however many) of putting up with turds in the schools, I'm sure the man deserves (at least) a break, and (at most) our respect....
Old 08-17-2008, 09:39 PM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

Just because one doesn't use proper spelling or punctuation doesn't make them illiterate, it makes them (at most) a bad typist.
I'm not sure that's the case. It's easy to blame it on typing but I think most people genuinely don't know how to write anymore. Sometimes I read posts from people and I assume that English must be their second language until I notice that they live right here in the U.S.

By the way, I'm not speaking in particular about Ted (who seems like a great guy) but just about people in general. We have become lazy in this country about education and now we are seeing the result.

I don't claim to use perfect grammar at all times but at least I make an effort to write legibly.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 PM
CGRetired

Isn't it time to retire this one? I think this subject has been beaten half to death already and is going nowhere fast,
Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 PM
ByLoudDesign

Chat in the chat room, talk about RC topics here! You want to know how old I am PM me, be glad to answer!