Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 rc ducted fan jets? >

rc ducted fan jets?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rc ducted fan jets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc ducted fan jets?

i was looking at getting a rc jet but i was wondering wich one to get? ive gottin on hobby-lobbies site and they have some good ones and they give u all the things u need to fly them,(i couldnt pick out the right ones if i tried). wat is a good beginner/intermidiate rc jet?

thanks, austin s.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: rc ducted fan jets?

Hobbico Flyzone Diablo ducted fan jet trainer RTF:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSMM2**&P=ML
Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
My Feedback: (3)

thanks for the help, also is pretty all the jets a type of foam. is there a reason?

thanks, austin s.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there is a question somewhere in that post, but I am not sure what it is. If you are asking why these jets are made of foam, well, the answer is twofold. 1. Foam is light.. these are electric ducted fan planes. 2. Foam is light, these are jets which get their propulsion from electric ducted fan motors. Sort of the same answer, but two different ways.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Austin ... take the Twister, its billiant for a beginner due to its flying characteristic. Easy to fly, easy to land.

Now I mean relatively easy, as its NOT for a person who has not flown before. One 'draw back' is that you want to fly her on a 3S 2,500 or preferably 3,000+ mAh pack to get better duration. For servos you can use any El Cheapo 9g servo, there will be no issue with that.

The stock fan and motor are good but its not THAT fast on 3S, just good speed but it does slow down well for landings when you flare her. One other thing I am not keen about the stock motor/fan is that it uses a 4mm shaft, if you burn the motor you need to purchase a Himax or GS brand motor. Most 28mm motors are only using a 3.2mm shaft.

If you want to really enjoy her then get a 4S set up with perhaps a HET 6904 fan unit and the HET 20-3W motor. Then she is decently fast and will give you very nice verticals.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Electric = $$$$$$$ [:@]
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM

How much flying experience do you have? Jets in general aren't the best planes to learn with if you don't have prior flying experience.

I agree with bigedmustafa about the Diabolo jet.

The cool part about this jet is that you can upgrade to a dual fan module once you get comfortable with flying it.

You can find a [link=http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/rc-jets.html]variety of jets here on my website[/link]. Least give ya some more options you may not have seen before.

Whatever you choose, just be sure that you don't bite off more than you can chew. Jets aren't exactly beginner planes for the most part, even the beginner jets aren't really cut out for a complete beginner!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Electric = $$$$$$$ [:@]
Wanna see my bank balance after purchasing 5S 5,000 mAh packs? Heheheheehehe ...
Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Not really... I don't want to see the tear-drop stains from shelling out all that hard earned cash.

Wings.. I can certainly agree with that. I have a small ducted fan electric, flying wing sort of arrangement. The thing is very VERY fast and highly maneuverable.. problem is that you really have to stay ahead of that thing when flying... all the time!!

Same as any very fast aircraft regardless of the power plant. But, you're absolutely right.. not fit for real beginners. By the time you figure out that you have to pull up slightly, well, it's to late.

CGr.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Let's not forget to let him know that EDF/pusher planes fly differently, there is no prop wash over the wings. Turns need to be with speed/throttle or more elevator when you have some speed. If not she will lose a lot of altitude in a turn.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I pointed Austin S. to the Diablo because it is, quite simply, the only EDF Trainer on the market. It is designed for the beginning pilot; the 4-channel Tactic radio transmitter comes with a Futaba buddy box jack on the back and can easily be flown with an instructor. It's a complete, ready-to-fly package requiring minimal assembly. It has a 40" wingspan and 39" fuselage, which is considerably larger than most other EDF airplanes in its price range, so it will be much easier for a beginner to follow from the ground.

No other EDF Jet on the market is as ideally suited for a beginning pilot. The fact that it is also easily upgraded once the pilot is experienced and comfortable with basic flight is just icing on the cake.