Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

LT-40 kit Pay it Forward question for RCKen

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

LT-40 kit Pay it Forward question for RCKen

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 AM
madmoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 kit Pay it Forward question for RCKen

RCKen,
I was reading through your Pay it Forward build on the LT-40. I noticed that at somepoint after constructing the fuselage but before covering, the engine area became jet black. What kind of paint did you use for that area?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: LT-40 kit Pay it Forward question for RCKen

Madmoe,
I used plain old Wal-mart special flat black spray paint to paint this area. I then used 30-minute epoxy to seal the paint and make it fuel-proof. To apply it I used heat to thin the epoxy. Mix up 30-minute (or higher) epoxy and use a disposable brush to apply it. Place a "blob" of epoxy on the wood and heat it with a heat gun. This will thin out the epoxy to the consistency of water and you can then "paint" the area with the thinned epoxy.

Hope this helps

Ken

(MinnFlyer fixed a typo)
Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mis-spelled "blob" didn't you

On that subject Ken, is there any reason you do NOT use rubbing alcohol to thin your epoxy and just brush it on like paint/varnish? I have ben doing it that way for a while now with no "apparent" ill effects.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Stang,
I used to use alcohol to thin out epoxy, and did for years without any problems. Then once I got too much alchohol in the epoxy and it screwed it all up. The epoxy never set right and was a soft rubbery mess. I had to spend hours scraping it off. Ever since then I've used heat. Plus, in my opinion the heat does a better job of thinning the epoxy. It gets thinner with heat and will soak into the pores of the wood better than if it's thinned with alcohol.

Ken
Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
ska716

Ken, is there any  pdf's of this build available? also your picture portfolio is quite extensive,  do you have any other builds?

kris

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Kris,
We have tried several times to PDF this build thread, but every PDF software (including Acrobat) chokes on the size of this thread. So the short answer is, no, we don't have a PDF of this.

I don't have any other dedicated build threads right now. Not too long after this build thread I started doing product reviews and I haven't seen my building table since!! Although, I've been thinking about doing another build thread, but I'm not too sure which plane I would do right now.

Ken

Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 PM
ska716

Ken

thanks for the quick reply,

Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ken,

I also followed and enjoyed your thread on the LT-40 build. Ilearned a lot of neat tips from you as well so Ifound it to be very informative.

If you are looking for a kit to do another build thread from, perhaps doing one on a GPSuperSportster, or the GPTracer. Since you went through so much time and effort to get the UltraSport kits re-released, that also caused them (Great Planes) to re-release the SuperSportster and TracerKits as well, so would you be interested in building one of those kits?

Thanks Ken,
Ryan

Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hmmmm, a Super Sportster??? I've never had one, but have always wanted one!!!!! hmmmmm, now you got me thinking!!! That might be entirely doable!!!!!  

Ken