Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

3D Plane differences

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

3D Plane differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Vendetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Plane differences

I've been flying for a few years now and do mild 3D. I would like to build a 50cc 3D. I was wondering if someone can explain the basic differences between a few different models. What are some of the differences between say a Extra 300, a Extra 330, a Yak 54, SU-26, Katana, ect. I know they have different wing loading properties, flight characteristics and things of that nature but what are the real differences? Which are most popular and why? I'm just trying to figure out what I should lean toward for a build... Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 3D Plane differences

I do not know the differences but you are much better to get an answer in the 3D section http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_82/tt.htm
Old 08-30-2008, 11:42 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The basic "shape" of all of these planes is intended to look like their full-scale counterparts. Two planes that both look like the same full-scale aircraft could have quite different characteristics though depending on the manufacturer, specific design elements, etc.

50cc 3D planes are definitely a little advanced for a beginner forum, the 3D area would be the best place to find answers.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

A bud of mine actually soloed his 10 year old son this summer on an UcanDo with a 50cc gas on it. 3D with 50cc, beginner, probably not but I’ll take a whack at the post. There will be slight difference in how the planes you mentioned behave in the air due to the different wings, moments, etc. However, the largest difference will probably be seen between brands as opposed to the model. I.e. company A’s extra may fly very different than company B’s extra. This throws a monkey wrench in the mix. That being said, from my experience, here are my observations. Keep in mind these differences are very slight, and not critical. Any quality 50cc sized 3D will fly all 3D maneuvers. Edges seem to excel at high alpha, probably due to the straight leading edge. They however can be a bit funny with yaw tracking and snaps. The Extras fly very clean, probably from double taper and a slight longer moment, but they don’t own any 3D category. Caps are spinning machines, but can be a bit squirrely at high alpha. The YAK, SU-26, and Katana I’ve never flown, so can’t really say. The point is, get what you like, check the 3D forum to be sure there are no major negatives on that specific manufacture’s model, then buy and enjoy!