Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

SSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSE

Lost my Pulse 40 a few months ago. Bought a Venus 40 to replace it. The Venus flys ...... a little different than the Pulse. I REALLY liked the Pulse, so much so that I was considering getting another one. But, I want to build a plane instead. Have built a Tiger 60, and most of my Sea Fury (almost ready for glass and paint). I don't want another ARF. Read a lot about the Sig Something Extra, and how most, if not everybody, likes that plane. So, how does it fly compared to the Pulse? Kind of an opinionated question, I know, but would like some idea of a comparison. Thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SSE

If you could handle the Pulse, the SSE would be a logical step and a good choice.

I've owned both a kit and an ARF version. Both are great.

The quality of the kit I built was outstanding. The wood quality was excellent, the laser cutting was clean and accurate, the instructions and plans were great and the design made for quick, easy assembly. Sig kits are top-shelf in my opinion.

As for flight, I've never flown a Pulse but I imagine it is a nice flying sport type plane. The SSE will probably be a lot snappier with a faster roll rate and quicker maneuvers with controls throws set at high deflection. Keeping it on low rates though, it can be fairly tame. Point the SSE in a direction and it will fly there. The down side to that is that it will fly right to the ground if you happen to point it that way. The SSE will also slow down and land fairly gently, maybe not trainer like but still nothing scary. It's just an honest, simple, fun airplane.

I say go for it.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

I was also considering getting the SSE, but after a long thread I had going I decided on the Aeroworks Edge 540. I was originally looking for a good third plane that was fast and 3D capable. After being educated that you can't have those two qualities in a single plane I wasn't sure what I wanted anymore. Then someone sent me a link to the Edge and I was hooked. It is 3D capable and looks fast enough for me. Check it out and watch the video, it might make you have second thoughts. [link]http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=75[/link]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Sourkraut

Hi Mesa.... the SSE is a very good choice for a kit build. Sig kits are very good quality and are outstanding fliers. I have the Pulse XT and the SIG SSE. The Pulse is a very nice flying sport plane and the SSE is a very agile sport funflier. The SSE will do faster rolls, loops and aerobatic manoevers than the Pulse. You can set the throws to be wild or as tame as as a *****cat. My brother and I each have one and we both love them. Knife edges are good, inverted is easy and it lands like nothing. I have a .46AX in mine and my brother has a .46 EVO in his. Get one, build it and enjoy.

Cheers

Curt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67414.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1022829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28593.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1022830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18556.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1022831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27210.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1022832  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta throw in my vote for the SSE as well. I have built 3, and am still flying two of them. The pictures are of my last one. Saito 82, flaps, and highly modified tail feathers. Battery hatch built into tail for CG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15220.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1022873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64291.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1022874  
Old 08-31-2008, 10:23 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Mesa...I hope you arent asking because you need to replace the Venus....???
Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: ro347

Mesa...I hope you arent asking because you need to replace the Venus....???
First of all, thanks for the replys. It looks like I will be getting a SSE in the near future. And of course Curt, I will have to make either the top or bottom that lime green color! It looks so good on my sons Tiger 60, but I might try the neon monokote colors. Neon red on top, and neon green on the bottom. That oughta make em sick at the field!
Roland,
No, the Venus is just fine. In fact, just got back from the flying field. I had the CG a little too far forward, and moved it back to the recommended starting point (4 5/8 I think, don't have the manual in front of me). Made a big difference, but still requires a little down elevator when inverted. Was going to add a 1/4 oz weight to the tail, but decided to fly it a few more times to get a better feel for it. Lands a lot better now. Even had a pretty good cross wind landing today. Something I have not HAD to do before, because my son and I used to fly off the dry lake bed, and you could always turn into the wind.
I just want a kit that flys like the Pulse, MAYBE a little more aerobatic, but not much.

beachbrada,
Thanks for the link, but I know I'm not ready for a plane like the Edge. Maybe next year.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:26 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Hey who knows maybe Im not ready for it either but there's only one way to find out.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Sourkraut

Mesa... you are going to love it. My brother keeps a spare SSE kit on his shelf just in case. It is my favourite fun flier in my fleet. I like it even better than my Phoenix Funstar!! My colors on the SSE are neon pink and neon green not the apple green that I have on my Tiger. They just faded rather quickly on the topside (nature of neon colors). The bottom is as brilliant as the day it was applied. When I am doing high speed rolls with it, it looks like someone twirling an unbrella!

Curt
Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

A little down is ok. Keep playing with it. Glad it made a positive difference. Enjoy!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: ro347

A little down is ok. Keep playing with it. Glad it made a positive difference. Enjoy!
Thanks, little adjustments at a time (didn't I read that somewhere). One more thing I forgot to mention, my plane pulls pretty good to the left on the 45 degree climbs. Loops are more like "spirals". I'm going to add a washer behind the left side of the engine mount to give it a little more right thrust. Maybe the OS 55 with the 13x6 prop is too much. I will let you know if that fixes left pull. If you haven't maiden your Venus, I hope you post the results when you do. I would like to know what you think about your plane.

"Hey who knows maybe Im not ready for it either but there's only one way to find out."

Oh, I could fly the plane. It would just be an injustice for a pilot like me to fly a really nice aerobatic plane like that, and fly it like a nice sport plane![X(]
Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the Venus is tending to roll when you apply elevator, make sure the elevator halves are exactly parallel and deflect the same amount.

I was just looking at the SSE kit and see that it's gone up quite a bit just like everything else. I think I only paid $79 for mine.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

If the Venus is tending to roll when you apply elevator, make sure the elevator halves are exactly parallel and deflect the same amount.

I was just looking at the SSE kit and see that it's gone up quite a bit just like everything else. I think I only paid $79 for mine.
Thanks Chuck. No, it's not rolling to the left. It's more like I am applying just a little left rudder. I can overcome this by applying a little right rudder. I know, DUH.

As for the price going up..........that sucks. As you say, "just like everything else".