Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

monokote over monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

monokote over monokote

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:42 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monokote over monokote

I'm wanting to put some designs on some of my planes but I really dont want to try and iron them on and have wrinkles and bubbles. I heard about useing windex to stick them down. Can I use windex on the bigger designs? And should I do anything extra to the edges to help them from lifting back up? I'm going to be putting monokote on top of monokote.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: monokote over monokote

If you are going to be applying larger pieces of monokote over monokote using the windex method is about the only way to do it so that you don't get air bubbles trapped under the monokote. It's really a pretty easy process to do. Check this thread out for detailed instructions on doing it:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_603331/anchors_603331/mpage_1/key_flag/anchor/tm.htm#603331]Applying monokote graphics with windex.[/link]

It does help to go over the edges after you are done to ensure that you have a good seal that won't lift up. Many will use the trim solvent designed for Monokote to seal it down. But I have found that using a small trim iron, or the tip of your regular covering iron, will do a good job of sealing down the edges.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used the windex with mono over mono then use my trim iron {the next day or so} around the edges, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in. That has always worked for me. Another way to go is Ultracote over the monocote, the lower temp of the ultra helps keep it from gassing. Good automotive trim tape along edges helps hold things down too and makes it pop.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Pa-18cub150

You might try this link

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6686800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm] New Monokote Technique[/link]

It has a YouTube video link well worth watching It shows how to use Windex and Glad press and seal.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last week I even put some Monokote trim down over Ultracoat using the Windex method. It worked great. One trick that helps is to use a piece of 1/16 or 3/32 balsa as a squeegy. Get all of the wrinkles and bubbles out before the Windex evaporates.

I also found some store brand window cleaner that was cheap and didn't smell all flowery. It wreaked of ammonia and it worked extremely well for lightly dissolving the adhesive.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you guys know what I like to use all those fake credit cards I get in the mail for?? They work great for smoothing out filler too. I do have A gallon jug of ammonia out in the shop just for giving my cleaner a kick, I also add extra alcohol, cleans engine snot off A plane right now, works on shower glass too but that's no fun at all.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

thanks guys, and thanks for the link Ken thats what I was looking for.