Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hats off to ya'll

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hats off to ya'll

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hats off to ya'll

I flew a 3 channel nitro trainer labor day, and its not a cake walk, i couldnt roll out of a turn just right, and I have a problem seeing if I am flying level,I stalled and loobed it while trying to fly level, and the wind wasnt helping out either, and I'll mention that I have never flown a plane like that ever not even a sim, the man that gave me this trainer thought I had a sim, well I ordered one last night and it should be on its way, and I was thinking a 3 channel trainer is like the easiest planes to fly, they just get harder and harder, I thought I did ok, being that I didnt have any stick time, I didn't crash , at one point I got disoriented, I couldnt tell if the plane was coming at me or if it was going away from me or if it was upside down, and at that moment the instructor took over, he said that on a day like it was, it was hard from them to fly nice and level, I tip my hat to ya'll who have soloed and beyond, I'll keep trying and I'll try this weekend, and I'll pratice on the sim when it get here
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Hats off to ya'll

This is exactly why we HIGHLY recommend an instructor - It's NOT as easy as it looks!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your first day of flying! Does your face look like this? or is more like this[X(] Maybey a little of both. Either way you are going about it correctly. The most important thing a new pilot can do is get an instructors help.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
fly boy2

yeah, we are playing pass the tx, next time will be on a buddy box
Old 09-02-2008, 02:03 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, use the buddy box for sure. By the way a Sim is ok, I guess, but don't expect too much help there. Get a good instructor and buddy box.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
cowboydfk

What kinda sim you getting?I got the the real flight,it will help you progress faster and its something to do when the weather is crappy and can't fly your trainer
Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Welcome to the flock!
A sim will help with the flying towards yourself orientation and help smooth out stick inputs. Other than that real life is a WHOLE lot different. BUT ITS ALL FUN!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
fly boy2

E-sky 4 channel flight sim, from nitroplanes, I couldnt afford realflight and plus I hear mixed opions about it
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep at it! You probably were a bit wobbly with your first two-wheeled bike, too. Once the instructor shows you the right things to practice you just have to practice, practice, practice.

If you don't know what to practice, then additional practice doesn't help much. It just reenforces bad habits. That's why self-taught pilots are at such a disadvantage.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Spacemonkey71

...but the important question to ask is:

"Did you get 'the RUSH' ?"

when I first flew it was like someone had smashed my adrenal glands with a mallet! I was LOVING IT!!!!!!! This is an addictive sport

I've got to hand it to you though, to me, a 3 channel is harder to fly than a 4 channel to me. I just can't get used to "missing" a control surface.... I know it's a matter of "practice" but it just feels weird to me (i guess this is what I get for experiencing flying "full size" before RC !). If you didn't ditch it and you'll learn soon that ANY landing you can "fly afterwards" is a GOOD landing (not a PERFECT landing, just not an OUCH![:@] )

Getting your bearings on a plane while it's at 200' up can be a real booger! That's why alot of trainers have WILDLY contrasting colors on the undersides of the wings ( I recently saw one that was "magenta" on the underside. You could TELL when that thing was going wrong!) Sims can help you with that, to a point, but pixels get PRETTY tiny on a screen pretty quick too! I think the word that combat fighter pilots call it is "situational awareness". Practice, Practice, and Practice some more. AND WITH AN INSTRUCTOR!

Happy flying! (btw, I STILL get that "RUSH" from flying )