Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need a Simple Kit for my nephew!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need a Simple Kit for my nephew!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Simple Kit for my nephew!

HI ALL!

My nephew is 9 yrs old and is into RC Flight(airhogs etc). He had been building Lego planes very well for long time, and has a liking to build.

I want him to get into Balsa plane building from kits/plans.

Can anyone help me ID some free plans or Kits (that I can buy ) to give him . This being his first it should be simple!
Eg: A Simple 3ch - Cessna.
I 'd appreciate any advice from you !

TIA
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Need a Simple Kit for my nephew!

If you are going to do this then go all the way with 4 channels....that way he won't have to re-learn ailerons later.....he should still have a trainer type airplane....In my opinion the best trainer out there is an LT-40 by SIG and it is in a kit form....then get him to your local field and an instructor....I bet he will solo in no time
Good Luck
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Missileman

I second the SIG LT40 kit. It is among the best and easiest for a beginner to build and with a little help a great plane to learn to fly.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Jester241

Whatever you do...........Make SURE he is VERY careful with CA glue if he uses it to build(most people do). Although in my opinion CA is a must have,but this stuff is very sneaky and soaks into and bonds skin like you cant even imagine. And the fumes can be nasty too.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM

LT40 for a 9yr old...hmmmm.....any thing simpler , cheaper, like in an aero bird category ??
Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Spacemonkey71

Check out the parkzone Firefly series. They're ready-to-fly (RTF) and they have ACT "Anti-Crash Technology" (basically when the plane "sees" too much ground, like in a dive, it automatically corrects). There are 2 models, basically differentiated by size and a few features, but both have ACT.

The cheaper is $55 and the more expensive is $84. Both have everything you need in the box. They also have a tough rubber nose, so if you hit something, it won't destroy the plane, or whatever you hit. The ACT can be turned off whenever you don't think you "need" it any more.

It's cheap, it's complete, and it's almost impossible to crash. Sounds like it would be perfect for a 9 year old "future pilot" to learn how to gauge landings, attitude, and direction. You can find information about them on www.parkzone.com in the electric RTF section.

If he's MORE serious about flying theres the T28 Trojan. It's a high impact styrefoam electric model, 4 channel, and comes RTF for about $260 (controller included). It's a BLAST to fly! BUT it's also alot more expensive and should be learned to fly with an instructor because it's a REAL plane that you CAN make a crater with. The parts aren't expensive to replace if you bust them up, but still, it might be a little much for a VERY first plane.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
plugin

ORIGINAL: Spacemonkey71

Check out the parkzone Firefly series. They're ready-to-fly (RTF) and they have ACT "Anti-Crash Technology" (basically when the plane "sees" too much ground, like in a dive, it automatically corrects). There are 2 models, basically differentiated by size and a few features, but both have ACT.

The cheaper is $55 and the more expensive is $84. Both have everything you need in the box. They also have a tough rubber nose, so if you hit something, it won't destroy the plane, or whatever you hit. The ACT can be turned off whenever you don't think you "need" it any more.

It's cheap, it's complete, and it's almost impossible to crash. Sounds like it would be perfect for a 9 year old "future pilot" to learn how to gauge landings, attitude, and direction. You can find information about them on www.parkzone.com in the electric RTF section.

If he's MORE serious about flying theres the T28 Trojan. It's a high impact styrefoam electric model, 4 channel, and comes RTF for about $260 (controller included). It's a BLAST to fly! BUT it's also alot more expensive and should be learned to fly with an instructor because it's a REAL plane that you CAN make a crater with. The parts aren't expensive to replace if you bust them up, but still, it might be a little much for a VERY first plane.

The point is that 747 is looking for a kit because his nephew is inclined to building. If the idea is for him to do the entire build, maybe a kadet will be a handful. I don't want to undermine his abilities but it takes tons of patience and maybe if you're gonna go this way you might want to be over his steps the whole time. Maybe a duraplane involves much less building and might be something more doable for a 9 year old.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE587&P=0
Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you thought about testing his building resolve by having a build a Guillows sized kit? Not large, not expensive, not r/c. But you should be able to gauge his capacity for building from this.

http://www.danscraftsandthings.com/i...p?a=6&id=11315
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Good idea from bingo field. The Lancer would make a great first build. Simple to build, and a good flyer. http://www.danscraftsandthings.com/i...p?a=6&id=11334
The Arrow and Javelin are good too.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed building this kit and it was supper easy. Go electric or Nitro.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZS57&P=ML
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I also would recommend starting him out on a Guillow's free flight kit. By coincidence, I picked up the Lancer kit at the local hobby store and built it. It was a good first building project and I received a robust round of applause when I test flew it in a gymnasium right after show-and-tell at our club's meeting. The plane flew the entire length of the gym on the second try and settled into a nice landing.

If he finishes a Guillow's kit, he'll have fun flying it and he will have proven he can move on to more challenging RC projects as well.

He can build it with carpenter's glue rather than CA to avoid exposure to harmful fumes. I used CA to build mine, but I found white glue thinned with a bit of warm water was ideal for gluing the tissue to the airframe. I never finished doping or coloring the tissue because my wife hated the smell of the Midwest Aero Gloss dope that I bought to finish the plane.

I haven't built anything since. Our apartment doesn't lend itself well to providing workshop space. I am going to try building a 1/2A trainer kit called an Ace Whizard this winter. It's not significantly larger than the Guillow's Lancer Kit and I think I'll actually have enough room to finish the project. Ace www.acehobby.com makes a whole line of "Simple Series" 1/2A kits that retail for $38.99 and are designed to fly with the $49.99 Thunder Tiger GP-07 engine.

I think this will be a good second building project for me, and most of my flying buddies would rate my building skills as similar to the average 9-year old!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Bruno Stachel

Not bad bigedmustafa, not bad. I have an Arrow that doesn't look much better. I did paint her like the box art with acrylic paint. Not the prettiest, but lot's of fun to build and fly.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM
capt17

I also recommend the Guillow's Free flight kits as a great first build. I built mine, a Guillow's Stuka, when I was 11 and then built my first RC Kit, a Midwest Aerostar 40, at the age of 13. It was a great stepingstone and it gave me the skills to be successful in my Aerostar build. I built 100% of these planes by myself with no outside help at a young age. I'm sure if he likes to build, he'll be fine. I would HIGHLY recommend the Aerostar 40 as a first RC build. The directions are VERY basic and the parts are very well made. I still have it today and it's flying well, 15 years later!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
iron eagel

Having built manny Guillow's kits manny years ago, and a pair of lt-40's in the past year I can tell you the lt 40 is a much easier build.
I myself enjoyed free flght airplanes so the Guillow models were perfect for me at the time, but I can tell you after having had the chance to fly RC I never looked back.
If he is already flying Airhogs free flight will be a bit of a step back in the kids eyes. Besides, the LT 40 is a much easier build than any of the Guillows models I can recall and I am fairly sure I had built most of them that were out in the 50's and 60's. Guillow's kits bring to mind the 1/16 stringers and formers that break when you look at them, not a lot of fun if you are not very good with small fragile parts. On the other hand the Sig LT 40 is rugged well documented and probably one of the best first kits for any builder in my opinion.
At least go for an LT-25 or Great Planes Tutor if the price of the LT-40 is to high for you (although the larger airplane is esier to learn on and more likely that he will stick with the hobby if he can learn to fly on something that is easy to fly).
Old 09-05-2008, 02:11 PM
BuzzBomber

What about one of the Ace Simple Series kits? Foam wing, balsa box fuselage, simple to build and strong as a tank, plus they fly well. Good size for a nine year old, and use cheap servos and engine. An Alpha, Whizard, or Grasshopper would be great, IMO.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
sdg666

This kit seems to be quite easy to build, it's a trainer so his nephew could learn to fly on...
[link=https://www.balsastore.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=434]Balsa USA Stick 40 PLUS[/link]
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

What about one of the Ace Simple Series kits? Foam wing, balsa box fuselage, simple to build and strong as a tank, plus they fly well. Good size for a nine year old, and use cheap servos and engine. An Alpha, Whizard, or Grasshopper would be great, IMO.

I'm with BuzzBomber on this one...probably a cub or whizard
Old 09-21-2008, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Jester241

Whatever you do...........Make SURE he is VERY careful with CA glue if he uses it to build(most people do). Although in my opinion CA is a must have,but this stuff is very sneaky and soaks into and bonds skin like you cant even imagine. And the fumes can be nasty too.

Ok I ordered the Dans craft Cessna 150 for him. What kind of carpenters glue should I buy, any from HD , WM ?
If CA is bit riskey for a 10 y.o . what is the next best safe choice which also bonds balsa well?

Thanks to you all !!!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
iron eagel

Any good quality wood glue such as tightbond II or elmers works well for a balsa kit.
Just be sure to wipe away any excess so that you are not adding a lot of extra weight.
CA works well but can be tricky as you have no time to adjust the part if you do not have it positioned properly, wood glue give you time to adjust the parts before it sets up.
I would recommend that you take the time and read some of the tips on: http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...tips/index.htm , prior to the start of your build. Paul has some very good suggestions regarding model building that are very helpful.
I am not familiar with the kit you bought so I can not give you any firsthand tips other than read through the instructions a couple of times before you start the build.
Another tip is to use either a balsa building board, homosote, or fiber based ceiling tile on a flat surface to build on. A good flat surface is a must to build a good flying airplane, probably the most important part of building an airplane to fly well.
Take your time and have fun.
Good luck with the build!