Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My Super Decathlon

Maiden day, mine flew without any problems after I got my engine tuned. I was able to fly all basic stunts except for the knife edge?? I tried several times but it yelled at me from above, NONONONONONONO, not A chance, if you want to do any of that type of stuff you better go home and get another plane!!!!! I just hate it when A plane yells at me.
Things I learned today, Tygon gas line works well with glow fuel but never try hooking it up to your muffler pressure line!! It melts off and your engine doesn't run very well without tank pressuer. I was out of fuel line when I was setting this plane up, I fixed the problem with A small piece of brass tube and A small piece of glow fuel line.[>:] This plane is so soft I have to remove most of my Expo!! This plane also needs me to add A bit more rudder when turning or it will fight me. The Super Tigre 2300 is A huge fuel hog so I have to keep my foot out of the carb or take more fule with me when I fly. I didn't have A full gallon with me today, I hope I was real low in the can, I ran out of fuel after four flights with this plane. To fly my little Fokker I had to drain the Decathlons tank and the can just to get in A flight with it and it's only A little .46.
Anyway, I like my new toy, it's A kick back type of stunt plane. Tomorrow I have to maiden my students 4*60 and work with him on that. I didn't take the deacthlon out of the van though. How about that for A maiden field, hard to miss the runway if you have A problem!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73046.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1026811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54023.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1026812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83773.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1026813  
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Super Decathlon

I can tell from your pics that the problem is that you have too many obstacles to fly around. Chop down a few of those trees and try again.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gray Beard,
Which Decathlon is this?? It the Dynaflite kit??

Ken
Old 09-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Gray Beard

Bruce, you only think you are safe out there. One day I had A brain fart, nuff said!! I call it :The Only Tree In The Forest!!!
Ken, I don't have A clue, I got it in A trade and it had never been flown, A brand new ST 2300 in the nose too. ARF, I think it was supposed to measure out to A 90 inch wing but it is 86.5. It's fully Symmetrical too. Flew very well but sitting next to one of the other guys $400.00+ ARFs mine is dog meat.
I had two dead sticks with it, one was the Tygon problem and one was the low end being too fat, guess we will call that A Gene problem. It landed dead stick perfectly, this one does act like A big trainer, I know, keep those thoughts out of my head or it's going to get me.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Gray Beard

Only Tree In The Forest!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70923.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1026886  
Old 09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now THAT is embarrassing.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is like when I ripped the nose gear out of my Alpha trainer when I hit a gallon jug spray painted fluorescent orange to be a corner marker on the runway. Call it a "Fatal Attraction".
Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Gray Beard

The story of this one is, there were just two of us out there at the whee hour of dawn. We parked differently then we usually do and at an odd angle, I never gave it A thought. AC was walking in with his arms full of his latest plane planting job and I had just greesed A landing with this little Aeromaster, I was so pleased with myself. It rolled right on by me about 5 feet in front of where I was standing, I really was pleased with myself, I watched it roll then noticed where it was rolling to!!!!! I tried everything fast except {hind site} down elevator. The lake bed is rough and they do tend to bounce and don't always turn when you want them to.
Yep, the only tree in the forest!!![&o]
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always looked at some of those dry lake areas along 15 and thought they would make great flying sights. Of course, the UFO traffic could be a problem.

Speaking of hitting the only thing for miles... When I first started flying, I took my trainer out to a new housing development. It had been cleared and graded but there wasn't a thing sticking out of the ground except a lone stop sign. It looked like a great place to fly. What did I do on my first landing attempt? I whacked the sign and broke my wing in half.

The club is putting in some new safety barriers and as soon as the poles were in the ground, a guy smacked one on Sunday. Some things just act like airplane magnets.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Gray Beard

The UFOs only fly at night!!
Chuck, in Mariposa I flew through trees, at the Arboleada field I hit A tractor and A parking bumper, the concrete type. Came close to A lot of other stuff too.
Safety Barriers at Fresno??? Maybe pilot stands but I don't understand safety barriers. Where did they put them??
Gene
Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
Safety Barriers at Fresno??? Maybe pilot stands but I don't understand safety barriers. Where did they put them??
Gene
I haven't been to a meeting in a long, long time but from what I understand, there will be new poles and netting in the pilot stand area and tall netting at each end of the pit area. I guess the stuff at either end is to prevent someone missing the runway from accidentally flying into the pits. It is supposed to be complete for the jet event in a couple weeks.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hate Deadstick there, with all that limited landing space.

Except for the guy in the frequency tree, doesn't look to hard to hit the runway. That would be kinda nice.