Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS - 15 LA, Engine Question...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS - 15 LA, Engine Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM
surferguy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS - 15 LA, Engine Question...

From the NOOB Engine Corner::: [>:]

Have a new OS 15 LA... was outside today breaking it in for some tanks of gas. I was getting some good readings on my Digital Tach. 1300 or so. Which is x5. Hanger9 tach.

I was running it on 15% fuel.
Runtime was 25 minutes on 3/4 throttle~! with a 4oz tank. Also did some idles and full throttle imitation passes...

Now my question is this: I noticed the head gasket had some discoloring on the head of it. The older fuel on the head of the engine turned brown from the heat.
I know 25 minutes is a LONG runtime. But is the oil browning on the engine just from the last run and turning this color over time as the engine heats up, or is the engine internally
running too hot. Or should I say, lean?

The power seemed well enough for the plane i mounted it on.
I have a 15 LA mounted on a once electric SuperCub from Hobbico. Fun little plane I wanted to convert to nitro.
There are other guys in this area who have the older blue cubs with 15s on them. They run sweet!

Let me know your thoughts.
Maybe I'm just over worrying about this new setup.
Looks like it will be pretty nice!

Any comments welcome,
Happy Flying

JD

OBX RC Flyer
Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 PM
OzMo

Default RE: OS - 15 LA, Engine Question...

AH the good old LA 15.
Check all of the head and carb and back plate screws as they can be a little loose when new( true for all glow engines). I have seen some fuel leak around a loose glow plug as well. However some fuel can blow out of the carb at times such as a rich start or when running rich for break in and a little brown is fairly normal. Exhaust oil from the muffler joint is not uncommon either.
Have fun! Sealing the back plate with a little teflon plumbers tape won't hurt it any.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
surferguy

Thanks for the advice~! I'm hopefully taking her out for a maiden tomorrow. Light wind prevailing! The engine has been running like a champ for the break in process. Was easy to start from the beginning.Now shes really showing some nice low idle. So cool this engine. Supercub Nitro just might fly... let you know tomorrow. ~fingers crossed...

JD

OBX RC Flyer
Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
15% nitro is a waist of money and only adds heat! The OS LA engines just run as good on 5%!
Be sure to use a 8x5 APC if you fly at sea-level!