Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Awww hell... cant use my X9303

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Awww hell... cant use my X9303

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:46 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Awww hell... cant use my X9303

Hey guys,

I finally got my sundowner together and am trying to figure out this 9303. Im using aileron/aux2 mix to control the servos seperately. But the alignment of the ailerons is way off. How can I fix this with the transmitter?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Awww hell... cant use my X9303

Erik,
Just curious as to why you don't use a Y-harness. It's the easiest to setup dual aileron servos with. When I reveiwed the Sundowner I used a Y-harness for the aileron servos.

Ken
Old 09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Erik,
Just curious as to why you don't use a Y-harness. It's the easiest to setup dual aileron servos with. When I reveiwed the Sundowner I used a Y-harness for the aileron servos.

Ken
Especially for that plane. A Y-harness would be the quickest, simplest way to do it.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM
ErikElvis

To be honest I just dont have one. I figured I would try to figure this thing out and maybe use some of its features. But now that I think about it I may still have a Y attached to a wing downstairs.

edit; nope no luck
Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ensure the Aux 2 switch (located above the aileron/elevator gimbal) is in it's center position. Also look at your manual and figure out how to INH (inhibit) the Aux 2 switch so you do not inadvertantly hit it while flying. This would almost certainly crash your plane.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
ErikElvis

Ok the aux 2 switch helped. I can center up the ailerons but how do you use dual rates on a mix?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
JustPlaneSweet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ErikElvis

You need to mechanically adjust the linkages to even up the alignment of the ailerons at netural, regardless of whether you use a Y-harness or computer mix. Make sure the geometry of the linkages is identical for each side (mirrored is okay). The same control and servo arms, the same holes selected in each. (This is the Beginners forum, right?)

Check out pages A11 & A12 in the X9303 manual. It explains how to set up the flaperon wing type which is what you are trying to do. Note the part where is says to inhibit the flap function (it still allows the individual servos for ailerons). It is a nasty surprise when you accidently hit the flap switch and get 100% throw (the default) if you forget to disable the flap switch or configure the flap function.

If I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do, then give some detail what the alignment issue is.

Stan
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
ErikElvis

to be quite honest I dont know what I did. I think I adjusted the sub trim for ail/aux2 and I could get the ailerons equal. And I still can get full throw out of them. Now Im just trying to figure out how to set up dual rates. I dont want full throw all the time.

And Ken how much throw did you get out of the elevator? I havent measured it yet but it doesnt appear to be a lot.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
DwightMann

First off, make sure that you are in "Flaperon" mode. If you have seperate flaps and wish to use seperate channels for each aileron, you can use aileron channel as master and another as slave.
One advantage of using flaperon over "Y" harness id that you can reverse one servo, another is that you can use the radio for minor adjustments
Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
ErikElvis

Ok guys I ended up using ail/flap for the controls. The flap switch is INH. But I cant get the throws dialed in. My d/r is set at 0% and 25% but they still move a good bit. I tried decreasing the travel adjust but it didnt seem to help. Its flyable but I would like more control of the ailerons.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
StevL

Wow; just use Flaperon and under that setting you should plug the right wing into Aileron channel (chan 2) and the left wing into Aux 1 or Flap (not Aux 2). You will not need to set any mix for this.

Inhibit the Flap switch.

Only use your sub trims after you have set everything up the best you can mechanically.

Use your travel to get the desired maximum throw (or set your travel to 120% and adjust your linkages mechanically to get you max throw you desire, this is how many giant scale pilots set up, much more time consuming).

On D/R Aile leave position 0 on 100% at say +50% expo, set position 1 to about 30% at 30% expo. This should get you into the ball park.

You can adjust the expo and rate "1" to your style and comfort level of flying. Rate 0 should not be more than what is recomended in the manual.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
ErikElvis

Ok well I maidened the downer today. I forget the settings but the travel adjust way way down on the ailerons. no expo on high or low settings it flew great. only a click or 2 of up elevator. Thats were the good news ends. I did about five circuits making sure it was trimmed ok and then tried a landing approach. Dropped in fast and dead sticked. The landing was greased but didnt know why it cut out. Went back and leaned it out a lil and went to fill her back up and noticed drips of fuel coming from somewhere other than the exhaust line. Tore it all apart and found the fill line was split in half near the tank. So now a new thread on how to clean it out...

thanks guys
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

You don't have to use the flaperon, it just makes it easier.
If you use one of your mixes instead, it has to be one of the last (3?). Not sure exactly, but on my 7202 and spektrum its the last 2, so probably the last 3 or 4 on the 9303. The reason is that if you use one of the first mixes, you can get them to work, but the trim tab will only trim one servo, not both. And you'll never get dual rates to work right. Just use the last mix in the radio and the trim tab will work properly and your dual rates will also work.
Kind of a weird JR thing, I think....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
ErikElvis

I ended up using the flaperon. Like what was stated earlier it just came up Lail and Rail. I used ail/flap channels. I INH the flap switch and dual rate worked once I set the travel adjust way down. Just have to set both ailerons. I still dont quite get it but it works.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
opjose

Ouch, some of the info here is not quite right....

However.

You CAN do what you wanted using the original configuration/channel assignment.

What you missed is that you want to use mix 5 or 6 to mix Aileron to Aux2.

Mix 5 or 6 provides "mixing with trim" which is essential.

The "subtrim" function then applies to each individual OUTPUT channel and is not collectively applied to Aileron and Aux2 at the same time...

Instead subtrim permits you to adjust the "middle" position of the two ailerons so you DO NOT have to adjust your mechanical linkages.... now it IS preferable to adjust the mechanical linkages, but often when using two servos in different orientations, it is impossible to get exactly the same control horn position at center stick. This is what the subtrim is for...

Now what is a bit confusing with JR radios ( and not very well documented ) is that when you use a mix this way, the "throw" amounts ( or screen ) for the second slaved channel ONLY apply to the amount of movement the associated POT controls. Since you WANT the POTs to have NO effect on the other aileron, you must set the THROWS for AUX2 to ZERO!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Once done AUX2 is totally controlled by the AILERON channel ONLY as you want.

Since this "mix" should always be on, you must set the display so it reads "SWITCH: ON". You do NOT need to inhibit anything.

As 2slow2matter said, the FLAPERON setting is very handy and provides what you want, but it does have one drawback... namely that you end up limiting control surface movement to about 75% of total available even if you are NOT using flaps!!!

While great for providing aileron differential control and using the ailerons as flaps, I did NOT want to limit the movement of my Giant U-Can-DO this way... so I ended up using mixes instead.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
2slow2matter

That's exactly what it is on my 7 channel JR'smixes 5 and 6. I thought maybe the 9303 would offer one or two more "trimmable" mixes, but I guess not....
Really, until you figure this out, you will bang your head on the wall when trying to mix ailerons, or dual elevators, or anything like that.

Good, now I know for when I buy my JR 9 channel 2.4 ghz
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
opjose

Yup...

I wish at least two more channels had the mixing with trim option...

HOWEVER if you REALLY need this, you can use the glider mode setting for most purposes...

e.g. with glider mode on I could set up each side's flap on a separate channel and each aileron on a separate channel. Then you can use the trimming function that only appears in glider mode, to equalize or trim any disparity when the flaps are used as say ailerons.... this still can retain independant operation and mixes... mix 5 and 6 still remain available...

Whew! When you start going through all of this stuff... sometimes it seems that you cannot do one thing, then you find that by rethinking it, there is a completely different way of doing it which works.... but the manual is of little help here.... a few of the "creative" examples would have gone a long way in teaching me originally.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
2slow2matter

absolutely. The manual is worthless for the mixes. I learned most of it through RCU on the JR forums. Bout pulled my hair out before I figured it out.....