Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

VMAR DISCOVERY 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

VMAR DISCOVERY 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Sharku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VMAR DISCOVERY 40

hi,
im pretty new to these types of RC airplanes, [and need a bit oh help for choosing an engine.... ]

so this is the plane im getting :
http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...oducts_id=1577

Radio:
http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...roducts_id=343

and engine:
http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...roducts_id=535

im not sure if the engine is the best i can get for my money [im only limited to this site, i dont really want to order online mainly cause im in Canada]
they say the recommended range is from .34-.47 , and the radio, will it be good enough or will i need a better one?

i have only around $300-$500 to spend [for now]

also i want more information about the plane cause for the engine it says:
Suggested Props: 10X6 or 9.5X6
10X7 for break-in

[the plane ,radio and engine is about 300 with tax added..and about 150 more for equipment meaning i have about 50 more to spare]

thanks
Sharku

Old 09-08-2008, 10:37 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: VMAR DISCOVERY 40

If it were me I'd get this engine instead: http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...roducts_id=288
Old 09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Knowing what I know today, if I were working on your budget, I'd go with this setup

http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...ducts_id=21271

Its the 2.4 ghz RTF version of the Hanger 9 Alpha trainer. The alpha trainer is by far my favorite trainer. Others at my club that have learned on the Nexstar, Tower Trainer (or any other trainer for that matter) universally agree after trying an Alpha trainer. Additional things you'll need are a chicken stick, glow igniter, and a gallon of fuel, all of which you should be able to get for under $30, keeping within you're budget.

Brad
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The VMar Discovery ARF is a nice trainer plane. There is even a pretty thorough review of it here on RCU:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=31

The JR Sport SX600 radio system is only $20 more than the Futaba 4YF that you're considering, but it's a 6-channel computer radio with 10 model memory. I'd strongly consider spending the extra $20.

The Super Tiger G-45 ABC is an outstanding engine, but so is the Super Tigre G-40 ringed. You could buy the less expensive G-40 engine and still have loads of power for your Discovery trainer ARF. This would free up $15 extra for the radio upgrade.

The Discovery ARF with G-40 and SX600 radio system would be a great training platform and a great value.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll second BigEd on the radio and engine.

I use an SX-600 from an F-22 PTS for a trainer box – it sure makes it nice to set a plane up for me to get it out of trouble and still be gentle for the student to fly, and I’m able to program several students’ trainers into one radio.

I have a GS-40 on my Sky Raider and it’s running very strong. One suggestion for the GS-40 is to replace the stock muffler with a Mac muffler – less weight and more power. This is not my first GS-40, and once again it’s proving to be a nice sport combo on my Sky Raider.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Sharku

thanks, ill go with Bigeds suggestion [or was that ans order... ] ill get the STX600 with the GS-40 , though with Hogflyers suggestion of the muffler , i might have to order that online , in the hobby store there are only 2 types of muffler(brands) [Bisson Mufflers, Slimline] and for putting the plane together i need epoxy right?, and other equipment will be
chicken stick, glow igniter,and fuel , is that or...... [i am sounding .... like the total beginner.... [sm=72_72.gif]]
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Hehe, I only offer advice Sharku, never commandments!

The basics that you'll need include epoxy (just 30 minute should be fine), a hobby knife or razor blade, fuel, fuel pump, fuel line, a fuel cap "kit" for connecting the fuel pump, propeller (10x6 Master Airscrew to start), glow plug/prop wrench, glow plug ignitor (C-cell or rechargable), and a chicken stick or electric starter/12v battery combo.

The VMar Discovery ARF comes with the control surfaces pre-installed and pinned from the factory. You shouldn't need CA (cyanoacrylate) glue for the assembly. Some standard household tools like a phillips head screwdriver, flat blade screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and a drill with a 3/32" drill bit may all come in handy during assembly and installation.

I'd recommend you try the included Super Tigre sport muffler that comes with the G-40 engine. It's big, ugly, and just a bit heavy, but it works. You'll spend as much again on a replacement muffler as you did for the engine if you replace it.

I'm glad you found our suggestions helpful, Sharku, and feel free to ask any other questions that pop up.

Good luck and good shopping!