Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

covering

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

covering

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
cowboychris244
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering

Are Ultrakote and Monocote compatible? I have a collection of both, and would like to know if I can use them together. For instance, could I use Monokote as a trim color on top of Ultrakote? Would the adhesive work? Just curious.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: covering

Yes, the two can be used together. Many modelers have done this with no problems at all. To answer you question, yes you can use the adhesive. But only on the Monokote itself, it will not work on the Ultracoat. One of the more common practices is to cover in Ultracoat and then do the trim with Monokote applied using the Windex method. The Windex method will only work with Monokote and not Ultracoat. This is because the ammonia in the Windex activates the adhesive in the Monokote. The adhesive is different for Ultracoat and is not activated by ammonia.

For more info on how to use the Windex method refer to this thread.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_603331/anchors_603331/mpage_1/key_flag/anchor/tm.htm#603331]Applying monokote graphics with windex.[/link]

Ken
Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: covering

I use monokote and ultracote together all of the time. Monocote on top, Ultracote on top, no matter. I never use the windex solution method for trim.

Kurt