Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to secure receiver and battery

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to secure receiver and battery

Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to secure receiver and battery

On my trainer I epoxied some velcro to the floor of the fuse to secure my battery and receiver but find it difficult to wrap them tightly as my hands are too big.

I'm looking for something slicker for my next plane.

Are there any holders made for this, or anything made that snaps over the receiver and battery to hold them in place?

Any pictures or links would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM
carrellh

Default RE: How to secure receiver and battery

Great Planes Receiver Guard Protective Case $3.49
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ779&P=0
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
TedMo

Been doing it this way for many years. Just wrap each of them in foam rubber use masking tape to secure foam. By useing right amount of foam it protects them and will fit snugly into place in fuse.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I used the foam that came with my trainer that had slots cut in it, but you can wrap it in a big chunk of foam like TedMo said. I use rubberbands to hold the foam tight so that its easier to remove if needed. My new extra has the battery wedged in with foam.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
cappaj1

I've got the receiver and battery pack wrapped in foam and taped with electrical tape right now but to keep them from moving in the plane have velcro strips epoxied to the bottom that wrap around.

The thing is, the receiver is so small I'd have to use a big ball of foam in order to wedge it in the fuse and it would be hard to get at. Plus it requires I secure the two short antenna wires at 90 degrees to one another so if there was some type of setup where I could 'snap' it in place and feed the antenna wires through some kind of little loops or pieces of fuel line epoxied to the fuse walls - that's something what I'm looking to do but need ideas/pics for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69195.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1029709  
Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
bruce88123

Something that "snaps" in place will transfer vibration to the RX and that is a BIG no-no. Wrap in foam. Antennas (only bare part counts) can be routed into any small non-conductive tube. You can get these at McDonalds or Burger King. They call them "straws". A section of ny-rod or similar works too. Epoxy tube to fuselage and THEN insert antenna.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM
SebM

I had to contact Futaba for a problem on my transmitter that was doing weird things and I got a new one. During the exchange with the tech. guys he told me that their 2.4ghz receiver are not that sensitive to vibration but they are sensitive to heat and so he said to not wrap the Rx in foam like you do with FM Rx and try to get air surrounding the Rx to keep it cool. Since, that I've change the way I fix my Rx in my airplanes and I use just a little foam attach different way depending on the airplane. For the antenna, I just use short pieces of fuel tubing that I glue on the side of the frame with a touch of thick CA. Then, I put the antenna into the tube where it stay. I try to get the last inch of the antenna out of the tubing.

SĂ©b
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
SebM

Hey, I just found this info that confirm what I was telling :

http://2.4gigahertz.com/features/receiver-tips.html

Good reading on 2.4Ghz Rx.

Hope this help,
SĂ©b
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
bruce88123

Good to know.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: cappaj1

On my trainer I epoxied some velcro to the floor of the fuse to secure my battery and receiver but find it difficult to wrap them tightly as my hands are too big.

I'm looking for something slicker for my next plane.

Are there any holders made for this, or anything made that snaps over the receiver and battery to hold them in place?

Any pictures or links would be appreciated.
Plastic Wire Ties work very well, and you can use a wire tie gun to draw them close.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I extend the hardwood rails on each side of the fuse that hold the cross members for the servo mounts. take two pieces of lite ply. cut a slot on each side of each piece (perpendicular to rail) and run vlecro throught them. Wrap battery and recvr in foam, etc and secure with the velcro... Now I',m able to slide the components fore or aft on the rails.. or switch batt and reciever until correct balance is acheived.. then i screw into place through the "sled" into the hardwood rails, 4 screws (servo mounting type) per "sled".
Old 09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
plugin

ORIGINAL: SebM

I had to contact Futaba for a problem on my transmitter that was doing weird things and I got a new one. During the exchange with the tech. guys he told me that their 2.4ghz receiver are not that sensitive to vibration but they are sensitive to heat and so he said to not wrap the Rx in foam like you do with FM Rx and try to get air surrounding the Rx to keep it cool. Since, that I've change the way I fix my Rx in my airplanes and I use just a little foam attach different way depending on the airplane. For the antenna, I just use short pieces of fuel tubing that I glue on the side of the frame with a touch of thick CA. Then, I put the antenna into the tube where it stay. I try to get the last inch of the antenna out of the tubing.

SĂ©b

You're absolutely right. For those who don't stroll by the radio forum, be aware that Futaba receivers have been known to have an issue with temperature. A lot of crashes have been attributed to heat induced faliure specially with the 6014 receiver. Make sure that if you're on FASST, you don't wrap your rx in foam. Just fasten it with velcro and try to secure it on its side rather than flat on the bottom as this allows for better heat dissipation.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Cappa, I have the same reciever since I have the 2.4 6ex. I used 3M double sided foam tape from the auto parts store to secure it to the side of the fuse. I used ca gel to glue in two short pieces of antennae tubing that I had for an rc car. The two wires set in perfectly and are 90 degrees out from each other and it has worked great. The tape will hold it in place perfectly and also provide vibration dampening so its a win win. I'll try to grab a pic of it.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Cappa, I screw in 2 small open eyelets into the bottom or side of the fuse and then just strap the foam wrapped receiver/battery down with a #64 rubber band to each eyelet. Cheap, easy method, and secure.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM
cappaj1

ORIGINAL: gregoryda

Cappa, I screw in 2 small open eyelets into the bottom or side of the fuse and then just strap the foam wrapped receiver/battery down with a #64 rubber band to each eyelet. Cheap, easy method, and secure.
That sounds like an idea I might use. What type eyelet? When I searched Tower for 'eyelet' I got the wrong items, I'm sure.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 AM
bruce88123

That sounds like an idea I might use. What type eyelet? When I searched Tower for 'eyelet' I got the wrong items, I'm sure.
Hard to describe but I think he means a screw in "hook eye". Something that screws in and you can hook the rubber band over. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

cap,

heres an easy way to do the RX. since i had heard the same thing about possible heat problems i used this methed shown in the picture, its hard to see the foam UNDER the RX but its there.

i just cut a piece of foam the same the size as the RX and put it under the RX then used a zip tie to hold it in place and the annteneas (S) are run to straws that i CAed in place works well.

the straws i put a 1/8 balsa stick through and left enough stik out to glue to the frame of he plane.

EDIT = mistake i epoxied the balsa strip in not CAed it

bassman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38758.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1030239  
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

There have not been a lot of crashes due to the 6014 thermal issue. Lots of noise, but very few crashes. The failure mode is typically such that you can’t get the RX to work on the ground, so no way to really crash anything. To clarify, it is only the 6014 that has the pronounced thermal issue, which isn’t a beginner’s receiver. But it is still a good idea to try to keep all your electronics cool.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
cappaj1

Thanks, bassmanh, I'll use some of your idea!

JohnW - I have the R617FS 7 channel 2.4GHz receiver, so I should be fine.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
bassmanh

cap glad i could help,

the best part of it is, its very easy to snip the zip tie if you want to move the RX to another plane (plus there cheap like me ) then move it back and re- ziptie it.

the straws will always be there in the right spot on each plane and the TX holds the trim settings so easy in and out no other adjusments.

bassman
Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
TedMo

Ok Cap I didn't know you were asking about a 2.4 RX FASST. For those type ( in my case JRSpektrum) I have used only double sided foam tape. That's all you need. I have it done that way in 12 aircraft without any problem at all.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 AM
bassmanh

hi,

i also agree with ted on the double sided tape it works very well, but i have also learned if its a RX i might plane on selling down the road and i dont want to have it full of sticky tape i use the way i showed in the picture. (zip tie)

now if you plan on keeping the RX or arent going to move to different planes and use the double sided tape i have found that puting down a thin layer of epoxy where you are going to mount the RX will really help to keep in in place. because if you just put it to the wood it has a chance to peel off the wood.

bassman
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Sorry, I was talking about small open hooks with a screw on one side that you get at hardware stores. Like $0.99 for a pack of them. They come in various sizes and are usually in the hardware dept. You can bend the eye of the hook closed more with pliers if needed. It looks like these except it is an open hook instead of a closed eye.

[link]http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=HDW+SMALL+SCREW+EYE&PAGENUMBER=2&VIEW=ThumbView[/link]

DG

Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
bruce88123

Sorry, I was talking about small open hooks with a screw on one side that you get at hardware stores. Like $0.99 for a pack of them. They come in various sizes and are usually in the hardware dept. You can bend the eye of the hook closed more with pliers if needed. It looks like these except it is an open hook instead of a closed eye.

[link]http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=HDW+SMALL+SCREW+EYE&PAGENUMBER=2&VIEW=ThumbView[/link]

DG

You can open those with pliers.