Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginners, What Plane Should I Buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginners, What Plane Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Woodsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginners, What Plane Should I Buy?

A couple of Q's on this thread.

should it be expanded to include ALL beginers basic equipment? after all a plane is no good without motor and rc gear.

i know time is tight but why after all the existing posts on 5/5/03 why no other sugestions? are these the only trainers available? if it's a matter of time i'll gladly help out.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was this supposed to be connected to something else?

There are a ton of great trainers out there. It would be hard to list them all.

A good list to point someone to that lists a ton of good trainers and equip would be nice. Then we could just point a new person to it instead of re-typing it a million times.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:24 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Same for radios, engines, basic aeronautics, GETTING INSTRUCTION, etc.

Not trying to do away with the beginners forum. Just maybe have something like a F.A.Q. ?
Old 05-22-2003, 04:14 PM
SkyDude

For a flat bottom wing trainer, the Hobbico SuperStar Select comes with OS .40LA engine and Futaba 4VF radio. The engine, Rx and all servos are already mounted. Assembly time is advertised at 20 minutes, but usually takes about 45 to 60 minutes. You still need to charge the batteries overnight.

A slightly more advanced trainer is the Hobbico Avistar Select. Same equipment already installed. This one has a semi-symmetrical wing and thus can do a few more maneuvers a little easier than the Superstar. It's what I went for and it flies great. I just solo'd on it yesterday so now I'm a full fledged R/C pilot!

Both kits can be had for $280 at Tower Hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com)

Good luck!

Edited - I mistakenly called the first plane Skyvista - it should be the Superstar. The SkyVista is a low wing semi-symetrical... My bad...
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

My goodness, there are already tons of sites on the net that can be refered to. One of the best is Howard Sullivans site
R/C Flight Unlimited

This site is loaded with all kinds of informaiton about starting out in R/C modeling.

Another site is Alan's links, however I'm not sure of the URL. All one has to do is just look around the web and you can find all kinds of interesting items about Model Aircraft.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A few months back I was going to do one of my "How To's" on starting out in RC. When I started writing it, I realized that to do it justice, it would have to be a WHOLE lot bigger than I had origially intended. Some of the mods discucced it with Marc, and we decided it would be a great idea for several of us to write a page or two in our own areas of expertise (electric/glow/gas/cars/boats/etc.), and combine it all into one all-inclusive article.

The "sticky" at the top of this forum is just the beginnings of the article. As time permits, we will make it bigger.

The problem is finding the time.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:58 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Very kewl, Mike. Thanks to all of you for your continuing efforts. This place and it's people rock!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Woodsy

Sorry guys it's related to the Sticky at the top, us mortals can't post to it (probably a good idea otherwise it would be just another thread)

i was just making coment that may be it should include radio and engine and that it started well but then stopped and i was offering my time to help out
Old 05-23-2003, 06:10 PM
ArmyROTC

GO with the Alpha Trainer!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 04:24 PM
martinoto

Woodsy, it all depends of what would you like to be your next plane. Back in 1981 I fell in love with patterns, so I new that anything that could help me to get there fast would be good enough. I got a Bridi Trainer 20 (symmetrical wing, but trainer). Few years later I build a Bridi 60 from scrap. It was not more difficult at all, it also works very well the basic aerobatics, and I could jump right to an easy pattern plane, so I ended up saving some bucks. Hope this help.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:41 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned how to fly on a H9 Etra Easy 2 about 2 years ago. I have since flown other peoples trainers. I have to say, that though I really liked my Extra Easy, the LT-40 is a better flying airplane. Also, the H9 Alpha is a better flying airplane. The plus for the H9 series is that it comes with everything you need to get into the air (from the planes perspective). Radio, Engine and plane comes with the setup. One word of advice, make sure that you glue the tail feathers to the fuse. I know they say just use nuts and bolts, but put a little epoxy on them.

Lee