Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Universal chargers (which one)?????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Universal chargers (which one)?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
DoubleDD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal chargers (which one)?????

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes. I am somewhat new to the flying rc thing and I currently have a pulse xt 40 size with the spektrum Dx7 radio and servos with a 4.8v 1100ma receiver battery . I use the wall plug charger to charge my receiver and radio battery before flying and this usually is done right after flying for a full 16 hours. I recently started building a funtana 90 with 2300 supertigre with the spektrum receiver and 821 servos. I was thinking of using a 4.8v or even 6v 1600ma or so battery for receiver and will use the same radio but I would like a charger that would do these for me at a quicker rate . I have been told that batteries should be cycled or discharged and then charged or the batteries won't last long. Can someone shed some light on what type or particular model of charger would work well for me to charge, discharge , cycle all in one unit? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Universal chargers (which one)?????

I have a Trition Jr that I really like. You need a seperate 12v power supply at home (unless you want to charge at the car in the garage). Works GREAT at the field to recharge a spare flight battery while you fly another pack (or charge a spare transmitter pack).

I fly 4.8v 1450 mAh packs (sometimes two) and use 1600 mAh transmitter packs.

The Hobbico Accu-Cycle works, too. I used one of those for six years and it still does the job. Just not quite as well as the Triton Jr.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I have the Accu cycle elite...LOVE IT. Can be used both ac/dc. Nice to take to the field with me for a long day of flying, or just charge from home.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
opjose

I prefer the large display of the Duratrak ICE charger @ $129.00. It's better than the Triton...

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML]ICE Charger Link[/link]

It has many features which the Triton lacks including historical testing screens, detailed battery electrical and non electrical statistics and differnt pulse modes, even motor break in, etc.

Tower also sells this charger with a wider range of voltage and capacity levels, plus a backlight display ( great at night ! ) as the Team Checkpoint charger.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=9&I=LXPYT8]Team Checkpoint Link[/link]

I use these for charging everything from RX, TX batteries through big LiPo's with Balancing.

If you are going for A123 batteries as well, you'll need to go with something like one of the new FMS chargers, etc. but these tend to be a bit more specialized and not as all encompassing.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
dragnbye

i use the hobbico dual feild charger it was works great i still use it all the time but i bought this for 40.00 and does it all cycle lipo bal i mean everything wish i would of just bought this insted go to hobbycity.com and look up Turnigy Accucel-6 Balance Charger & Discharger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70818.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1030202  
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The MRC Super Brain 977 charger sells for $109.99. It can charge LiPo, NiCd, and NiMH cells as well as discharge and autocycle. It can charge two completely different kinds of batteries simultaneously. It also comes with its own 10 Amp power supply so you can run it from AC or DC power as you need.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

"I have been told that batteries should be cycled or discharged and then charged or the batteries won't last long. " - NO.

If anything, cycling packs diminishes thier life as you are wearing out the battery by the cycle process. The only reason to cycle a pack is to check capacity.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Mikecam

Triton Jr. here too and I just bought a cooler converter to power it at home. Works great.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

As it was recommended to me by others and I really like it, I'd suggest the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKSY1]Multiplex[/link] charger for $75. It charges lead acids, NiMH, NiCd and Li-ion/Polymer batteries and runs off 12Volts. It charges, discharges and cycles! I purchased an inexpensive laptop power supply for use in the house and it works great! Paid a whole dollar for it (plus $10 shipping from China)!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97421.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1030411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90483.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1030412  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
flyingJ

Ihave both the accu-cycle and accu-cycle elite. the accucycle is great for tx &rx batterys, but am restricted to charging at the house. Bought the A-C elite because I now have a couple of Lipos. If I had to do it all over, i would just get the Elite because of it's versitility.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See what happens when you ask a comparison question? Now you're more confused then ever HAA. Go to the batteries/chargers forum and study what's there. Remember what you buy today for todays needs might not be good enough for tomorrows needs so consider all this.