Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Outrunner plus Sand =

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Outrunner plus Sand =

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrunner plus Sand =

I'm trying to replace the brushed stock motor on my EasyGlider. ( its getting weaker and weaker)
I would prefer a BL inrunner that will drop in and work with the stock gear box and prop.

Or I'll cut the nose off and mount an outrunner with no gearbox.

I'm concerned with the outrunner being exposed as I usually fly in a sand pit and the outrunner will land in the sand! (sometimes)

I could bring a can of air and blow it out after landing?

Should I be concerned with the sand getting in an outrunner?

Whats the problem with multiplex coming out with a brushless motor option for the easyglider????

I havent been able to find a simple solution....I see posts online from 2006 looking for upgrades.

TIA

Steve
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Outrunner plus Sand =

You definitely don't want to get sand in any motor or gearbox.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Popriv

I'm concerned with the outrunner being exposed as I usually fly in a sand pit and the outrunner will land in the sand! (sometimes)

I could bring a can of air and blow it out after landing?
Yes absolutely.

That's a great way of handling things. Take along a few small brushes as well.

Many inrunners still have breather holes which means sand can get into the motor. Because the can is harder to get at, getting sand out can be a big problem.

The exception will be completely closed inrunners, which may be viable for you too...

ORIGINAL: Popriv

Should I be concerned with the sand getting in an outrunner?
You don't want it running with sand within the motor.

However because most outrunners have large cooling holes it can be easy to get sand out.

A can of air and a brush suffices.

The clearance between the motor and the stator is not much so an outrunner can be fouled with just a few grains...

Ideally clean out the motor completely.

There really shouldn't be that much sand getting into your motors, unless you crash and nose in...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a magnet and run it through the sand you are landing in. Remember the magnets in your motor are probably more powerful. You will most likely find iron deposits on your magnet and they will be hard to blow off the magnet without a direct blast.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 AM
simmo8

from memory the typhoon 3d inruner brushless motor does not have breather holes but im not sure of any of the specs of this motor or weather or not it would work in your glider
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Take a magnet and run it through the sand you are landing in. Remember the magnets in your motor are probably more powerful. You will most likely find iron deposits on your magnet and they will be hard to blow off the magnet without a direct blast.
You must have a high iron content for that to be true.... and even then the percentage of metals is so low that particles tend not to stick to a magnet.

As Mr67stang said, try it with a magnet... usually though nothing sticks through attraction as sand is mostly silica, crushed rock, or crushed shell ( calcium).