Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Would this be a good 3rd plane kit ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Would this be a good 3rd plane kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
TakingFlight96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this be a good 3rd plane kit ?

I was considering building the SlowPoke as a 3rd plane, has anybody had any experience w/ this particular kit ? Any opinions would help. I also am open to other suggestions if you think theirs a better plane out there. Thanks.

Heres a Link for it :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRB44&P=7

TF96
Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Would this be a good 3rd plane kit ?

I think that this is an excellent kit to build, as well as a good 3rd plane. I have a Slow Poke 40 with an OS 52 Surpass on it. This is one of my all time favorite planes. Mine has well over 500 flights on it and it still goes to the field with me all the time. The only bad habit the plane has IMHO is that it's got a small bit of adverse yaw when turning with the ailerons. But coordinating the turns with the rudder will take care of this. I have a mix in my radio to do this for me, but I've done it manually in the past as well.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10198.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1030477   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43797.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1030478  
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM
TakingFlight96

Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to hear such great things about it. Very nice [sm=thumbup.gif]

TF96
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken: I have never had one but by looking at you pics of it, Slow Poke. It has to be the most close coupled plane I have ever seen. Correct me if I'm wrong but my experience has been, long moments, nose and tail, increase longitudinal stability which makes for nice smooth flight. Short moments do make it highly maneuverable but touchy therefore not a really good 2nd 3rd plane? Of course there are always exceptions to any rule.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

TedMo,
This one is the exception to the rule. Yes, the short coupling does cause a small bit of adverse yaw, but it's very easy to deal with. But this slow flying characteristics of this plane make it great for newer pilots. Plus, you can open it up and throw it around the sky and have a total ball with it. There's a reason why mine goes to the field with me almost every time I go out!!

Ken
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 AM
NorfolkSouthern

The close coupling does add to the twitchiness, and that may make some folks feel a little uncomfortable at the sticks. The main wing will tend to start flying before the tail lifts, but it's not too difficult to deal with once you get used to it. The SlowPoke is definitely not well suited for long, sweeping maneuvers. Rather, slow flight, quick turns, and tight loops are more its specialty. It doesn't roll the fastest, but enough to get you out of trouble anyway. Stalls on this plane are real easy to get out of, as long as you have enough altitude. The nose just drops strait down, abruptly, without spiraling and then lifts back up right when the wing starts flying again. Make sure there's enough weight at the nose, or it won't fly any other way but inverted (done that once with mine). When landing, just keep everything level and touch on the mains. It'll float right on in just by regulating the airspeed. You should do fine with the SlowPoke, TakingFlight96, since by now I assume you've had a reasonable amount of flying experience. It will make you proud, having something that you built from a kit rather than an ARF.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't built the kit bit I have flown several of them and didn't care for the plane very much, maybe it was just me?? I felt they were too twitchy and A newer pilot wouldn't learn much from one. I would have thought there would have been people singing the praises of the 4* series or the Super Sportster. Maybe the Up-Roar or Dazzler. All good kits and better flying planes. Then al the choices of the ARFs out there too. {{ ARF?? Who Said That????}} There really are better third planes out there then the Pokes and A lot of good kits in the smaller planes of that size.
Gene
Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 AM
NorfolkSouthern

A lot of what you wrote, GreyBeard, is why I consider the SlowPoke to be a third, and NOT a second plane. Although they are capable of very slow flight and can be fairly docile on low rates, their quick and sudden movements may require some quick acting without having to think. One example is that adverse yaw that Ken was talking about: If you don't coordinate your turns or add rudder mix to the ailerons, the lower wing can drop and cause a stall. Since the TakingFlight is looking for a third plane, that indicates to me that her orientation and reflexes should be developed well enough to handle it. Granted, there are many other choices to consider. But to give credit where it's due, I find the SlowPoke to be both fun for the pilot, and the spectators as well. I think she made a reasonably good choice considering her skills and abilities.

On the other hand. For those who are new to the sport and wanting something after their trainers, I agree that the Four-Star, Tiger 2, or other such traditional second planes would be better suited.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
TakingFlight96

I see that their are a lot of different opinions on here. I appreciate the responses. I see that their was a couple of other planes mentioned and I looked em up and they're something else to consider. The Slow Poke was just simply an idea, I just wanted to hear some more about it and see what else is out there. As far as the 2nd plane I already have one that is supposed to be just like a 4*, its a Phoenix Dolphin. Thanks Again.

TF96
Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen Slowpokes that flew well, but the one I've flown (belonged to a guy in my club) was very twitchy. We tried a number of fixes (changing throws and engine thrust lines) and got it a little better, but never very good. It wasn't all that slow, either. I think you could find something a little safer. Maybe a 4-star, for instance.