Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just finished my rebuild!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just finished my rebuild!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just finished my rebuild!!!

I'm posting this all over the place, I'm just so pleased with myself!! After I got my students first build out of my shop I am getting to work on my planes again, this is A real old Kaos that was given to me years ago to practice my pattern fly with. I repaired it and recovered it over 7 years ago but it get A LOT of air time, last spring it was leaving A trail of covering so I knew it was tim. I did A major go through and change or fix process then did the covering. All the covering is Ultracote. I enlarged the rudder this time and added to the fin, I never did like how it knife edged. The engine is an OS .91FS and I had to build the cowl around the engine, yes, I know, the spinner is too big but it was the smallest I had in the shop today. Not too bad for A plane 15 or 20 years old!! If it fly's as well as it looks I may have to break down and take it to the next IMAC and fly the sportsman with it. On second thought, NOOOO, that would be too much like work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57319.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1031963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60345.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1031964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74324.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1031965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62654.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1031966  
Old 09-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just finished my rebuild!!!

Gray, looking good.

The fixit bug must be going around. I stripped and recovered my Pheonix FUnStar. Couldn't stand the clear cover. Yesterday, I discovered I had a radio issue, and I ended up replacing the receiver. It was failing at 25ft if I pointed the TX antenna at it. Maybe it wasn't just the clear covering

I just finished glueing up the ribs and spars for the replacement wing for my Ruperts dad. My daughter and family are showing up tonight, so I'll not get any work done until Sunday afternoon now. Tomorrow is our Club meeting so I may take my son in Law out and if the weather is OK, re-maiden the Fun Star.

I've got to build me a pattern plane. I just like the looks and the Trainer-2 I built was proportioned like a pattern and I loved the way it flew. I may just build another, my third, after I finish the 4*60.

Don
Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Gray Beard

Ah Don, just so many planes and so little money!!! I have three more planes in the R&R fix pile and not sure what to do next. I was almost ready to maiden A little Corsair I was given, another 20 year old plane but other then the odd controls it was in good shape. The the student build happened so I set that one aside too. My Extra needs some major R&R and then there is my GP 60 size AeroMaster that needs the wing repaired.
You said you were going to cover your Pheonix but I figured you wouldn't be able to help yourself and jumb right into the 4* build!! Always better to build then fix. I'm getting A small pile of RXs to send into Radio South for check up, I lost A really nice plane when it lost the signal so I have been gathering anything that I thought may have A problem. If I get everything fixed I will have the time to scratch build the 91 inch Hots I have been putting off for A long time.
Gene
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Grey Beard,
I have a little excersise for you. Raise you arm straight up, bend backwards, and pat yourself on the back. Anybody who keeps a Kaos in the air deserves praises in my book. That's the second best flying plane around in my book, with the Ultra Sport being first (and we all know that an Ultra Sport is a Kaos with a turtledeck that makes it knife edge better).

Good Job

Ken
Old 09-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Gray Beard

I have A 120 Kaos ready for some R&R too. I just haven't gotten around to it, keep forgetting it's in there. There happens to be the bathroom in my shop. I was fooling around with it A while back and installed an RCS 1.40 gasser in it but got side tracked.
How many pattern championships has your number one plane won??? Just wondering???
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Spacemonkey71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grey, that's a beauty of a plane! All Functionality and Form; strictly a "no frills flier". I gotta love it! Especially because 2 of my 4 planes are 30yr "vintage" planes (the Senior Falcon and now the Das Ugly Stik) that are essentially "box fliers"! I love the straight, square boxy lines, the simple wing, the "clean" profile. There's nothing to distract your eye > it's straight up FUNCTIONALITY IN FLYING! That plane is a lesson in simplicity of design and for that, I have to give you the BIG [sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

And I'll bet it flies like a rocket powered bat with it's tail on fire too !!!! It LOOKS like it's moving FAST even when it's parked and that's very, very cool [8D][8D][8D]
Old 09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had to make a comment on your revamped Chaos. Looks great ( until I saw the Bottom HAAAA!!!!). Yes they are one of the all time great models. I also have one, a 45 size that's been around for at least 20 years. Take it out every once in a while. Wish I had a Taurus to go with it.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:43 AM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that belly!
KW_Counter
Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Gray Beard

It went out for it's maiden yesterday, kinda like it's fourth maiden but thinking like that hurts my head.
Not A lot has changed, it took A little aileron trim and I have it CGed nose heavy so I have quite A bit of up in the elevators. The big thing for me was how well it does the knife edge and rolls now. Just adding to the fin gave the box fuse the extra lift it needed and the added length to the rudder gives it A bit of A kick. By adding that bigger fin sort of made it fly like the Sun Fli series of planes?? This cover job is very easy to see in this bright blue sky we have here but I think I need A touch of white on the bottom?? We do get some real dark weather here that moves in fast so some white may help?? Good grief that thinking stuff hurts!!!