Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

difference between Bison Pitts and Slimline Q muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

difference between Bison Pitts and Slimline Q muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between Bison Pitts and Slimline Q muffler

What are the differences between these mufflers? I'm putting it in a Venus II mounted sideways. Looks like the Q series is super light but no info on weight of Bisson. Weight issues are important to me on this one.
One is a regular Bisson Pitts muffler and one is a Slimline Q series muffler.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XMKK3&P=Z#tech

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUNU2&P=Z
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: difference between Bison Pitts and Slimline Q muffler

Jigeye,
The other difference with the Q series is that it's a larger sized muffler. I just finished reviewing the Great Planes Cherokee for RCU and I originally was going to use the Q series muffler. But when it was mounted the size of the muffler interfered with the nose gear steering arm, so I couldn't use it. Instead I used a compact Pitts from Slimline.

Other than those considerations, there's really not much difference between the two muffler brands. I have used both many times and they both perform well.

Ken
Old 09-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bissons I have are all real mufflers with baffels built in. My Slimlines are nothing more then A can with pipes. All my Slimlines are older, 5 to 8 years at least so they may have changed them?? I haven't bought A new one in over A year and it was A Bisson.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 AM
jigeye

Thanks Ken,
Have you heard of any performance decrement with the compact series mufflers? I haven't, just wondered.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:50 AM
jigeye

Never mind Ken: The compact series doesn't make one for the OS 120AX
Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

The Bissons I have are all real mufflers with baffels built in. My Slimlines are nothing more then A can with pipes. All my Slimlines are older, 5 to 8 years at least so they may have changed them?? I haven't bought A new one in over A year and it was A Bisson.

Don't know if Slimlines have changed in the last 5-8 years, but I know for a fact that the first ones were LOUD. I pulled out an OS.50 that was still new in the box to use on an ARF. Had a Slimline I'd bought with the engine. Both were purchased some years back, more than 15. I took the sucker out to the field and setup a breakin rig beyond the pits. Figured I'd get an hour or two running during the day's flying. WRONG.....

It was on a day all the retired guys hang out. We bring sandwiches and fly all day. First time I cranked that sucker up nobody could hear what anybody else was saying. OK, a number of the old boys don't hear too good to begin with, but for the same reason, most of they talk real loud to begin with. Dang the sucker was loud. It actually hurt your ears up close. Everybody was amazed. One guy did remember trying to use a slimline pitts years and years before and having to swap it out.

So old ones are different.

Right now I use a couple of Bissons and a couple of Slimlines. They're all on OS91s and all sound about the same. And would be described as mufflers that're definitely quiet. I've gotten a Q recently but not got it scheduled to go into anything yet. Maybe will retrofit it to see how it does. Sometimes mfg's improve stuff (like power) when they're upgrading, even when the purpose is different.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
The1User

I just finished reviewing the Great Planes Cherokee for RCU , I used a compact Pitts from Slimline.
Hello all,

I just put together a Great Planes Cherokee 40 and used a Bisson Pitts muffler

One of the pipes comes down over the wheel, can I bend it slightly out of the way?

Having it right over the wheel means a lot of cleaning

Thanks

Joe
Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's one of those hard questions, the mufflers are made out of aluminum and it doesn't really take to bending very well. However, sometimes the ground has been known to bend some of my pipes for me without breaking anything. Sort of depends on how much is A little. How about sticking on A deflextor over that pipe? Maybe cutting it off at an angle?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: The1User

I just finished reviewing the Great Planes Cherokee for RCU , I used a compact Pitts from Slimline.
Hello all,

I just put together a Great Planes Cherokee 40 and used a Bisson Pitts muffler

One of the pipes comes down over the wheel, can I bend it slightly out of the way?

Having it right over the wheel means a lot of cleaning

Thanks

Joe
There are exhaust extensions with bends that fit the tubing. I've got a couple on one of my Bissons. I chose to cut the original tubing (for cowling installation) and use the extensions. They not only redirect the exhaust but put it out where it doesn't hit anything. Extensions are magic. I don't have a single model that needs any real effort to wipe off at the end of the day. And I got more than one model, trust me.