Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig Astro Hog a good 2nd airplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig Astro Hog a good 2nd airplane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Astro Hog a good 2nd airplane?

The fella who sold me my biplane had a Sig Astro Hog at the field the other day and he flew the heck out of it. I captured it on [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqwqiDf98Y]video[/link].
I realize this is a kit, but I have all winter, so I'm really thinking about it as I really liked the way it looked and flew. Is this a good 2nd airplane and has anyone experience with it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
JustPlaneSweet

Default RE: Sig Astro Hog a good 2nd airplane?

Jim-

The Astro Hog was my second plane and it worked very well for me. I initially flew it with a Saito 80 on tricycle gear (per the plans). I was pretty hard on the nose gear so I used a Fults double wire nose gear. I also tried using Sig Koverall and dope for the covering. I like Monokote much better.

After a year or so I converted the hog to a taildragger configuration using heavy duty fiberglass gear. That is how I fly it now.

I got adventurous and outfitted the hog with a monofloat. Pictures [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7927465/tm.htm]here.[/link]

The Astro Hog is a good second plane. It can fly like a trainer and do all the basic aerobatics.

Stan
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sig Astro Hog (only one you'll find unless you come across a old Berkeley kit or a set of Model Airplane New plans from 1958 (and no you can't have mine )) will make a wonderful second airplane. Just keep the control throws down and it's as gentle as just about any trainer out there, but after you have some experience it'll also take you through a lot of aerobatics.

The Hog can be built as both a tail dragger and a nose gear. Build it with both, fly with the training wheel, uh.....I mean nose gear, then after you have some time on it switch the gear around to a tail dragger. Its a builders project, but when you're finished you'll not only gain a world of experience, you'll also most likely have the only one on the flight line.

For power you want to use a .61 2c or .91 4c.

Hogflyer
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second both of the above posts re the suitability of the Astro Hog.

Just make sure you keep the dihedral down to the modern setting. A pupil of mine built one as second model and kept to the ORIGINAL setting.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Me too
And Sig Kits are really nice to build. Some require more "modeling" than others but the directions and quality are above average IMHO. The Hog is a great flying plane, you will enjoy it .
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 PM
carrellh

Astro Hogs are great second planes. I lost mine to elevator flutter. I'd love to have another.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94719.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1035382